[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 08:11:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by nickel_n
Your following list is growing Seldom.

Sorry in the middle of two projects but will try to dig out the file tonight. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46535.msg255272.html#msg255272

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK here is some info on the Joe or Jay Wilson the guy I think may have found some of Lafitte's treasure. He seems to had went by both names but I will just call him Joe here.

A year or so after WWII Joe showed up in Galveston and rented a room in Auntie Rose's rooming house which he keep till Rose died in the 60's. The first year or so Joe spend his time on the docks talking to local fisherman or at the library looking over old news papers he never talked about treasure but had a interest in Captain Campbell one of Lafitte's men that stayed behind. We have a thread about Cap. Campbell so I am not going into it here. Joe finally got a boat from somewhere and started spending day after day exploring the bays around the island but rumor says he spend most of his time around Deer island Virginia Point and Swan Lake all places that Cap Campbell lived over the years. Around 1960 he built a shack at Swan Lake and took to spending weeks on end there only to coming to the island when he need supplies and would spend a few days at the rooming house with Rose. {I have never been able to figure out their relationship but there was only 10 years different in their age so maybe who knows}.

Rose died in 1963 owing everybody in town money so her property was sold off and Joe got the balance of 2 or 3 hundred bucks. The story goes that Rose had been financing Joes treasure hunting for years. After Rose died Joe only came to town every few months and never stay very long but always had money lots of it if you believe the old timers around here,this is when the rumors started about Joe finding some treasure.

When I was a kid I spend a lot of time around Virginia Point and Swan Lake hunting civil war relics and hoping to find some Lafitte treasure myself and remember seeing Joes shack and Joe walking the shore line are fishing around Swan Lake. Never had the guts to try and talk to him everyone said he was crazy and hated people so I stayed away.

Joe's body was found floating in the ship channel in 1975 he had a heart attack fell out of his boat and drowned according to the police report. I was in Mexico at the time but when I got back and heard the story I hightailed out to Joes shack but it had been searched dozens of times by the look of things and there was a bunch of hole dug allover the area. Did anyone find anything I don't know if they did they keep it to their self.

In the 1980's a local shady coin dealer was selling gold and silver coins all dated from around 1800 that he claimed he had bought from Joe over the years. I never believed his story and always figured he may have had some Lafitte treasure but not from Joe. This was around the same time that there was a rumor of a small Lafitte cache being found on the west end of the island. I believe that was what he was selling and just using Joe to cover for the finder.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46535.msg255286.html#msg255286

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you357

Activity
7%
Male
Australia

6075.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 02:07:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanking you.I love it

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46535.msg255292.html#msg255292

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 12:08:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Seldom!  Another "treasured" story from you.  They are always good ones!       Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46535.msg255326.html#msg255326

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Nice follow up info Seldom. Always fun to hear the local history from someone who was around at the time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,46535.msg255342.html#msg255342

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: