[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:00:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

How To Find Treasure Leads

Finding leads to buried, hidden or sunken treasure can be as simple as reading this blog or buying a book or two. Finding really good leads to a lost treasure usually takes more time and diligence.

Not that the leads on this site aren?t good leads, it?s just that we haven?t done all of the research and gotten all of the answers. If we did that with every lead you would be reading more about treasures that have been found instead of treasures you can look for.

I don?t do much searching for treasure underwater so I will skip telling you about how to get leads for those treasures. I will mention that studying information about some sunken treasures will give you some insight into some land based treasures. There?s nothing like a good pirate story to get your mind going. Arggggg!

Most caches of treasure won?t be written about in a way that mentions treasure. If you want to look for the small and maybe medium sized caches you should spend some time in your local library or historical society reading over the old newspapers, especially those before 1935.

Once you start reading you can look for the articles about robberies. These articles can give you the where and when and sometimes even the who, not to mention an amount of what you might be looking for. You should look for articles about miners or prospectors if you live in or near an old mining area.

Articles about the natural or even untimely deaths of prospectors and miners can give you leads about where a cache of gold may be. If a successful prospector or miner died and didn?t have any relatives there could be a good chance that whatever gold he had was left in the ground near his claim.

Even if they did have relatives there is a good chance the miner/prospector hid what he had without telling the relatives where it was hidden. The newspaper article will give you a name and a search through the old claim files would give you an exact location.

If you aren?t lucky enough to live in or near a mining area you can look for articles about successful ranchers or store owners that may have died unexpectedly and didn?t have any family around. Maybe you will find a story about the local hermit that was found expired at his homestead.

Hermits are notorious for not trusting banks or people for that matter and the local hermit may have stashed some money around his homestead. Another thing you can search for is the old stage stops or even the old creek or river crossings along the stage route.

These were great places for someone to accidentally drop something or even intentionally hide something they didn?t want to lose. Remember, it doesn?t take much gold or silver these days to make something worth finding.

If you like to hunt for more ?recent? caches you should concentrate on the newspapers from 1933 to 1950. Why these years you ask? For those of you that don?t know your history to well the private ownership of gold in the United States was banned on 5 April 1933 and all citizens were required to turn in their gold to dear old Uncle Sam.

You just got to love Uncle Sam! This ban on the private ownership of gold only allowed citizens to own $100 or less of gold except for rare coins with special collectors value. The ban stayed in effect until 1974 when we were ?given back? our right to have gold.

I am sure, actually, I would bet big money on it, that there were a lot of people that buried or hid what gold they had just to keep from having to give it to the government. I know I would have. This brings us back to the old newspapers and looking for those stories of the hermits and reading the obituaries.

Most of these stories will probably never mention anything about hidden money or treasure but they will probably tell about the ?condition? of the person who died. Whether they had money or heirs, whether they were frugal or were known to spend a lot of money and even where they lived or what type of home they lived in. All of this information can be tremendous in looking for a previously unknown treasure.

When doing this type of research you have to learn to read between the lines and follow up any story you find with some additional research at the county courthouse in the county that the story took place in.

Land ownership records should go back to the time when the county was formed. You may even be able to find old town plats that show you were a business or home was. These will be especially useful if you are looking in the area of an old ghost town.

I will say that I have worked on a treasure like this before, one that was put down in the 30?s and it turned out the landowner hid his treasure and then marked it just like an outlaw would.

This made me think he was probably an outlaw himself in earlier times because the map was pretty elaborate and didn?t appear to be the first one he ever made. I would also guess that the gold that was hidden was something he probably had gotten from a robbery or two.

This is just a couple of ways to find your own treasure leads. Remember, if it were easy everybody would be doing it! Remember to think outside of the box when it comes to research.

Buried treasure is everywhere; you just have to know how and where to look for it.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg64483.html#msg64483

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 08:33:52 am by Christian »

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline Shoto
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:58:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Here's some proof of good markers..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg64488.html#msg64488

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

binarenang.bato.jpg
bomb.marker.jpg
coiled snake-.jpg

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:19:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good info Christian Thanks if its OK I going to add a little more.

If I have a lead say Mr. John had buried a lot of money before he died, first were did he get the money. If Mr. John worked 40 years at the general store and lived out his life on 300 a month SS chances or he had no money to hid. Not going to spend a lot of time hunting for it. But if Mr John was involved in mining or bootlegging anything were large amounts of cash changed hands then it's time to hunt.
 Good leads are everywhere here is a little list of a few and how I came by them.
Back in 1975 I found a book " The Saga of Anderson" a history of Anderson Texas. It was very boring reading till I come across this story.
During the Civil War there was a small armory out side of Anderson owned by a Mr. Mann. After the war Mr. Mann moved hand guns, rifles, and a small cannon to his sister in laws house for storage. Mr. Mann went off and got killed in north Texas. The sister in law having small kids finally hired a guy to haul them off a bury them. That's a treasure lead.
Here's one that will teach you to keep your ears open. I was in a coffee shop one day in 1982 when I over heard 2 policeman talking about a drug dealers house blowing up and killing him, his wife and kids. When they started talking about all the money he had and were it was hid old Seldom's  ears perked up. After a little research I found out the dealer stuffed cash in 4 in PVC pipe caped the ends and buried them around his property's. Some if not all of this treasure has been found but if anyone is around Appleton Texas pm me I will give you more info.
There is a lot more I can and will add later. This is a good thread guys lets leave the poneys alone foe awhile and add to it we can all learn something.

Seldom

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg64490.html#msg64490

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline tigrockhound
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

260.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTA 1250, Gta 650, Old Garrett
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have found my interest in local history has provided many treasure leads.  I live in a small town in texas and by going to the library, have found this town was once a much larger place.  By looking through the county of Kaufman history book, I have found several towns that now are just ghost towns.  I also have found a site where the traveling carnival used to set up when it came through town.
Now I just need to get permission to hunt!  It seems like peolple are more reluctant to give permission to be on their land now-a-days.

tigrockhound

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg68618.html#msg68618

Offline nike
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for all the great info guys.  As someone new to treasure hunting I really appreciate the knowledge you are sharing.  I was thinking some of the same strategies you mentioned for obtaining leads.  I am glad to see my own thoughts validated by people with experience.  Fortunately I enjoy researching.  I am pretty skeptical about almost any lead I would find online.  Suppose I would just be wondering if it was legit why didn't they follow it out themselves.  Thanks again for the information I am looking forward to seeing more of it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg77110.html#msg77110

Offline rcelada
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Philippines

120.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 01:37:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you..
We have plenty of  treasure signs here in our place...we got one which we are going to work next week..its a  thumb large steel bars on a old tree pointing east....we will just try to dig to clear our mind about it...who knowa if its a real treasure sign.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg82934.html#msg82934

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:40:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Good info Guys. I got a lead by an old fellah, by simply mentioning i had an interest in gold hunting !
  actually , two leads , two older gents.  Both worth following up   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg86287.html#msg86287

Offline RJ39NY
GW BUTTON HUNTER
Bronze Member

GW BUTTON HUNTER
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

715.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garret Ace 250/Whites MXT PRO
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 03:51:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Teach Finaly good advice written by a true Vetran. Exellent, thanks for sharing!  Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg86291.html#msg86291

-RJ Silverstein GW Button Hunter-

Offline medmaker
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

55.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:46:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Another way to find a bunch of leads quickly is to just talk to people and tell them what you are looking for. Most people have one or two treasure stories tucked away in their heads. As an example, I told some dinner guests once that I was looking for leads and one of the guests told me the story of her grandmother that had a habit of burying money in jars around her property and then in her later years forgetting where she had buried the caches. The guest even offered me the addresses of her grandmothers properties!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg86395.html#msg86395

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:06:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

now thats a good lead !! I agree talking to people , can be a good way to get a lead , depending on the lead ... = how much resech maybe involved. Best of luck on the leads men ..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10253.msg86479.html#msg86479

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: