[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline zul32Topic starter
Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« on: April 29, 2010, 08:20:11 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've read a very interesting article/website that talks about the old days back when the Mormons minted their own gold pieces in Salt Lake City. It apparently started back in 1849 and went through 1860.
Based on the story on this article HERE:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

Stolen Mormon $10 coins

Apparently a couple of guys took a tour of the mint, then later stole 200 of the $10 gold pieces. There whereabouts are still unknown today. I can imagine those two outlaws deep in the Sevier desert finally realizing their mistake and fighting each other during the last few moments of their lives fighting over that bag of coins and the coins spilling out onto the sand.. so my guess is that they're probably not in the bag with their dead corpses ... but again that's just speculation.
That desert is also a couple hundred square miles so the area to search would be difficult assuming that the coins are even there?
Does anyone else have any links to this story, or can link some other actual documentation/newspapers showing the reported stolen coins? I was just curious. If however, there was a remote possibility that in fact they were in excellent condition and all together - based upon a $75,000 per coin value that puts it at $15 million dollars!
Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg88566.html#msg88566

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
77%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 02:31:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If it happened, there should be a record in the Salt Lake City newspaper(s) of the time.  You should be able to find copies online or on microfilm at major libraries in the state.   The biggest challenge you will have is that the article you are linking to doesn't five you a date range to search.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg88801.html#msg88801

Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 03:08:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hmm I have a friend that works for one of the local newspapers, I wonder how much truth there is to that story? Thanks for the tip.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg88812.html#msg88812

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline bbwfw
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 03:28:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Those coins are pretty expensive now

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg88817.html#msg88817

Offline Utah
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

285.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sovereign XS-2a pro, Minelab X-terra 70
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you want to make huge money find a $50 mormon coin. Only the coin diecast has been found, never an actual coin! I will send you pics when I find one... Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg89142.html#msg89142

2012 Find count
Penny-
Nickle-
Dime-
Quarter-
K Half-

Knight
Silver Member

Thank you31

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2365.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds great "Utah" thanks - looking forward to seeing that.. oh, and Love the signature too! I want to figure that out myself.. I'll see what I can do.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg89218.html#msg89218

2017 Find count
Penny- 300
Nickel- 34
Dime - 72
Quarter - 45
Half dollar - 1
dollar - 3

Offline leibstandarte
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

15.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:51:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have researched this "story" and it seems it is just that.  As far as I found it first appeared in a 1975 issue of True Treasure or Teasure World,can't remember which as my file on it is @ home. In 1982 G. Thompson's "Some Dreams Die", book on treasures of Utah has a version giving 1850 as the date for the theft. Then an August 1994 or 96 issue of Lost Treasure elaborated on the earlier stories with a 1849 date. In Aug. of 2008 Lost treasure ran another article with a M. Lewis signing her name to a story that except for a few sentences @ the beginning and an updated estimate of these "missing coins",is a verbatim copy of the 1990's story. She cites as her references,not the earlier author of the story she copied,but "Latter Day Saints Archives,Salt Lake City Utah!". I read every Mormon Newspaper I could locate to no avail. The Deseret News ,the Salt Lake newspaper that began 15 June 1850, is on line and mentions nothing. Remember these events stretched over a few years from theft to finding the supposed remains a few yrs. later of Reg & Dave Baldwin. I read Hosea Stouts memoirs,he was  supposedly the "Lawman" who organized the "posse" that tore out after these two thieves. Nothing! He mentions such huge crimes as the theft of a pair of boots,the apprehension,trial, sentencing and punishment of crimes such as this. However two non-Mormons who make off with over half the known wealth of Utah @ that time, goes without noting . Highly unlikely,as these coins  essentially belonged to the Mormon Church, as they were made from tithed gold, B.Young had members retrieve  largely from Cal. & Nevada. This would be front page news from discovery until the Baldwins fate was known. Even if the authorities had wanted to keep it "secret" to stave of public panic,figures in the loop would still make entries in their "personal,private" diaries! I have a couple more sources to look at however,I have simply found absolutely ZERO period source material that notes such a crime ever took place,much less a Reg or Dave Baldwin existed.ZIP,NADDA ,NIL. Like I say I have a few more sources to check ,however it seems it is simply just a tale. regards,Karl

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg91112.html#msg91112

Offline fjrogers
Pull Tab

Another Adventure
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Elite 2200, White 6000/DI
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:32:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I live outside of Logan in Northern Utah. Maybe the went north and died. Oh what a dream find.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg96001.html#msg96001

Offline chipthefinder
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

710.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm II
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 09:46:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

It would be a worthwhile find..my oh my:) For you Utah guys, I had one guy tell me that most people are looking just west of Tooele in the desert. Have you heard anything like that. Maybe Kennecott found it and that is how they got started on the mountain there LOL
Any further word, give us a post. I have not been to Utah in about three years. it is a great place to live.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg96114.html#msg96114

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

I read an old written order from a local US Military Post that back when these Merman coins were first made, the US Army told the soldiers to beware of these Gold coins as they weren't worth what the face value was.  Like a $10 Gold coin was only worth say $9.07 in Gold value.  I don't think it was deliberately done by the Mormons to scalp the soldiers and other pioneers heading west on the California and Oregon trails passing through that area.  California Gold coins were suspect too and most folks didn't like using these privately minted coins, but there was a shortage of coinage in those days so they had to.  No one trusted paper money, only Gold, Silver and Copper coins.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg102539.html#msg102539

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: