[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline bhunter
Copper Member

8018593332@vzwpix
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

280.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Landstar Bounty Hunter, Fisher Gemini lll 2-box, Colt .44
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 11:22:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The gold the mormons used to mint their coins came from an old Ute indian mine that the spanish had taken over many years ago.  The Spanish melted silver and gold together with the idea of hauling it out back to Mexico then Spain.  Their main trouble was the Ute indians.  They would wait until the Spanish had loaded up their burros at the end of the season with all the gold they could carry and then attack, kill the spanish and dump the gold back into the mine and cover it up.  The Utes and the Apache of AZ were the only two tribes who didn't make good slaves for the Spanish.   Later on Chief Walker gave Brigham Young permission to send one man to collect the money rock(gold bullion)and take it back to Salt Lake.  The trip would take 2 weeks, and on the first trip 63 lbs. of almost pure gold was brought back.  The men at the mint just had to pound it out flat and start stamping.  The last I saw on the value of these coins was between $250,000 to $350,000 each.  Most of these coins were sent back east to pay for freight.  The military did in fact refuse to accept mormon money because of the alloy that was already in the gold dropping the value.  The gold was also used for gold plating on the angel on top of the temple in salt lake.  Thomas Rhoades then his son Caleb were the ones who brought gold back to salt lake.  Caleb found 7 other spanish mines and tried for years to have the department of the interior move the indian reservation line moved back a few miles so he could opening develop his mines.  I'm sure he was frustrated by the lack of cooperation of the government when he made a fatal error.  He told the government he would personally pay off the national debt if they would hurry and change the boundaries.  The debt at the time was around 1 Billion dollars.  Gold @ $20 oz.
Caleb died around 1905 and three months later the Gov changed the boundary lines. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg108444.html#msg108444

Offline chipthefinder
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

710.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites Prizm II
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:28:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great article and facst...b...thanks alot

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg108518.html#msg108518

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 06:10:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

63 pounds of almost pure Gold , would be today worth about ?  Shocked
Thank-you Bhunter for posting that bit of Utah history .

HH..........Eugene

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg108590.html#msg108590

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline willdini
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 09:47:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a really cool story. Ive read about the story with the gold from the ute indians and the rhoades family. Never heard about the minting of coins or the theft of those coins. And at ~$1200 an ounce, 63 lbs of gold would be worth about $1.2 million. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg112902.html#msg112902

Offline dfxwalt
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

mormon gold coins link

Please Register or Login

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020y2cnxMkEEA2teJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBqamdoM3Q5BHBvcwMxMgRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZAM-/SIG=1kbhf484f/EXP=1283310646/
**http%3a//images.search.yahoo.com/images/view%3fback=http%253A%252F%252Fimages.search.yahoo.com%252Fsearch%252Fimages%253Fp%253Dmormon%252Bgold%252Bcoins%252B20%25252C%252B50%2526ei%253Dutf-8%2526y%253DSearch%2526fr%253Dfp-yie8-s%26w=300%26h=158%26imgurl=www.coinquest.com%252Fcgi-data%252Fcq_ro%252Fresponse_300%252Fus_quarter_eagle_1837.jpg%26rurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.coinquest.com%252Fcgi-bin%252Fcq%252Fcoins%253Fmain_ct_id%253D88%26size=52KB%26name=US%2bQuarter%2bEagle...%26p=mormon%2bgold%2bcoins%2b20%252C%2b50%26oid=5067f541372420499ebc32f8b71ccb30%26fr2=%26no=12%26tt=28%26sigr=11n5g4gac%26sigi=127ng1gb6%26sigb=1383qv6lg

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg113184.html#msg113184

Offline Randy Bradford
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 08:35:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by leibstandarte
I have researched this "story" and it seems it is just that.  As far as I found it first appeared in a 1975 issue of True Treasure or Teasure World,can't remember which as my file on it is @ home. In 1982 G. Thompson's "Some Dreams Die", book on treasures of Utah has a version giving 1850 as the date for the theft. Then an August 1994 or 96 issue of Lost Treasure elaborated on the earlier stories with a 1849 date. In Aug. of 2008 Lost treasure ran another article with a M. Lewis signing her name to a story that except for a few sentences @ the beginning and an updated estimate of these "missing coins",is a verbatim copy of the 1990's story. She cites as her references,not the earlier author of the story she copied,but "Latter Day Saints Archives,Salt Lake City Utah!". I read every Mormon Newspaper I could locate to no avail. The Deseret News ,the Salt Lake newspaper that began 15 June 1850, is on line and mentions nothing. Remember these events stretched over a few years from theft to finding the supposed remains a few yrs. later of Reg & Dave Baldwin. I read Hosea Stouts memoirs,he was  supposedly the "Lawman" who organized the "posse" that tore out after these two thieves. Nothing! He mentions such huge crimes as the theft of a pair of boots,the apprehension,trial, sentencing and punishment of crimes such as this. However two non-Mormons who make off with over half the known wealth of Utah @ that time, goes without noting . Highly unlikely,as these coins  essentially belonged to the Mormon Church, as they were made from tithed gold, B.Young had members retrieve  largely from Cal. & Nevada. This would be front page news from discovery until the Baldwins fate was known. Even if the authorities had wanted to keep it "secret" to stave of public panic,figures in the loop would still make entries in their "personal,private" diaries! I have a couple more sources to look at however,I have simply found absolutely ZERO period source material that notes such a crime ever took place,much less a Reg or Dave Baldwin existed.ZIP,NADDA ,NIL. Like I say I have a few more sources to check ,however it seems it is simply just a tale. regards,Karl

This is one of the hazards of doing treasure research, where poor scholarship, plagerism, and failure to cite source material are the norm.  Fora WONDERFUL example of how TO write a treasure book, read Steve Wilson's book on the Texas Spider Rocks... 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg141560.html#msg141560

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:37:53 am by Randy Bradford »
Offline bennet
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2011, 06:33:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Did you know that the Mormon immigrants who settled in the Great Salt Lake area of frontier Utah

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg143581.html#msg143581

Offline watcher
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites TM 808, Garrett AT Pro, H3 Tec Super Alien
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

In the 1800s, outside of Redding CA. A group of Mormons were crossing Clear Creek in the vicinity of Horsetown when the creek was running high. They lost a chest containing $40,000 from the tailboard of a wagon and it was impossible to recover, because of the raging storm waters in the creek. Mormons
returned the following Spring to recover the chest, but all traces of the ford were gone and sand, rocks and gravel covered the area. The hoard of gold coins remain lost. In 1910 one coin was found by a prospector along the river.

Is there anyone from the Redding area who has looked for this cache, and can give any details about this area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg145250.html#msg145250

Offline Scipiokid
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Leibstandarte??? What a name??? I'm German-Austrian and just can?t get used to saying or spelling anything from the old homeland (except my name, which is under dispute).

The stolen Mormon mint money legend has certainly gone the rounds over the years. I?ve done plenty of research and must agree with our friend Leibstandarte.  However, I have also researched the late George Thompson.  I first met him out in Skull Valley (Utah) in the mid 80?s and have also worked with several of his colleagues.  Everything he wrote in his books has some basis in fact, including the legend of the missing Mormon Mint money.  Leibstandarte?s assertion that Hosea Stout could not have led the posse that went after the Baldwins is corroborated in Stout?s journals, although the loot did not total half the wealth of the Mormon Community.  It was however, a significant amount, enough possibly to warrant a cover up that may even have included Stout?s omitting the robbery in his journals.  And if Brigham Young said ?don?t talk about it? there probably would be little history concerning the matter today.  There are no newspaper entries in 49?, 50? or for the next ten years, but there are numerous pioneer records and journals which remain to this day. 

My Great Grandfather was a scribe for Brigham Young.  His journals would indicate the robbery did take place.  What is absent from most viable sources of information is a concise history after the robbery.

Zul32 estimates the search area to be a couple hundred square miles.  Given the scarcity of information, a more likely search area would include over 8000 square miles of extremely harsh, rugged desert mountains and valleys.  The missing coins would easily have fit into one saddle bag so the treasure is small, very small and probably buried, not strewn over the desert sands as has been suggested. 

So you have an extremely small needle in an unbelievably huge field of hundreds of haystacks.  A guy in a Jeep with a metal detector won?t even scratch the surface.  To be successful, one will have to do enough research to narrow down the path the Baldwins took, find the location where their bodies were (supposedly) found, and use something a lot more precise than a typical metal detector to find anything.  At least that?s what George Thompson thought when he teamed up with Mel Fisher and flew the Sevier Desert in a helicopter equipped with 3 million dollars of high tech infrared and Ground Penetrating Radar gear 8 or 9 years ago.  They (reportedly) found nothing.

Now both men are dead.  One report asserts Thompson and Fisher actually found the coins!  But Fisher, well acquainted with the intricacies and legalities of maintaining ownership of such a treasure, made sure no public notice was ever given of the find.  On the other hand, this particular treasure would be worth much more than Zul32 estimates, and even Fisher, would have a very difficult time marketing the coins without word getting out.  In 1984, one mint condition Mormon Gold coin was uncovered with other hidden relics inside the wall of a pioneer era building under renovation in Salt Lake City.  The worker who made the discovery kept the coin and secretly found a buyer about two weeks later.  He got $850,000.00 from a private eastern collector for the single coin.  This is not fable or folklore.  I know about it not through research or treasure hunting?I knew the worker who found the coin.  When I asked him how he could afford to buy a huge new home, boat and truck on the same day, he told me not only could he afford them, they were paid in full!  Then he told me about the coin. 

Speculate all you want!  If somehow, the loot could be found, and if somehow, we could get as much for each of the 250 stolen coins as my friend did, and then maybe double the value due to the historical significance of the find???well, why do you think people are crazy enough to waste all their time looking for this stuff in the first place?  My calculator just broke! 

See you in the Sevier Desert, I?ll bring the doughnuts, you bring the water, and lots of it.  No beer, I?m a Mormon!  Shoot, when we find it we?ll have to tell my bishop, and he?ll make us give it back to the church.  We?ll have to cut him in.  Now how do you figure tithing on 400 mill???..mind boggling.  If we find this I?ll have enough to get my truck fixed with enough left over for new tires too! 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146043.html#msg146043

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 01:20:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shoot, when we find it we?ll have to tell my bishop, and he?ll make us give it back to the church.

Why would you tell anyone you find it much less a bishop of the church?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146049.html#msg146049

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: