[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 01:35:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
Shoot, when we find it we?ll have to tell my bishop, and he?ll make us give it back to the church.

Why would you tell anyone you find it much less a bishop of the church?

because Scipiokid is a good Mormon from a family of good Mormons and it is a matter of conscience.    You, homefire, and the A.R.T. bunch haven't had an opportunity to corrupt him yet.    But then if the Bishop can be bribed, hmmmm......

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146050.html#msg146050

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 02:55:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Bishop can be bribed,
     LOL
Yeah like you going to tell anyone But I do see the point about being a good Mormon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146075.html#msg146075

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Scipiokid
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

What if I'm the Bishop?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146815.html#msg146815

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 11:37:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Scipiokid
What if I'm the Bishop?

Then it want be hard to agree on a price

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg146817.html#msg146817

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline spanishgold1
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 08:44:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'll add my two cents in to this story of the mormon gold coins.  First off the reason that they put silver in the gold coins was to harden them.  There first batch was to soft so they use silver as a hardner.  There was no other motive to cheat people out of there fair share of the amount of gold.   If these guys that woudn't take the mormon coins, would realize that they are selling for between $60,000 and $110,000.00 each....  they would roll in there grave... LOL

The Mormon church are great record keepers, and to get access to there archives would be a treasure trove.  They do allow you to look in the there archives but many of the archives are tucked away.

I to have looked at it the new paper articles and there are none.  You could say that they kept the story low keyed to keep panic from happening.  Only the records in the church would tell if this were true. 
I have a hard time thinking that the coins were just there on the shelf sitting as the stories are told.  With that much wealth, it would of been secured away.  Yes the mormons are trusting people, but they are not stupid either.  It just doesnt make sense.    So if anyone has a inside connection to the church archives, it would be a gold mine.   Just finding one Mormon coin would be a find of a life time.  I saw one the other day that a guy had.  It has been handed down from family to family......  All I can say is wow!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg147541.html#msg147541

Offline Scipiokid
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Well enough about bribing my Bishop. I went to see him and he turned down the bribe but called me to be a missionary instead.  So, who wants to be a Mormon??  A few other facts and assumptions I uncovered follow;

Fact      Mon Dec 10, 1848    The Mormon Mint began operations 
Fact      Wed Dec 12, 1848   Coins were in circulation in Great Salt Lake City
Assumptions   Some say only 25 coins were minted, others claim coins were struck all week through Friday the 14th
Fact      Mon Dec 17, 1848   Second minting began but crucibles cracked after only 21 coins
               The mint was shut down (for ten months)
Assumption   Many claim only $10.00 coins were minted before the crucibles broke
Fact      Sep 1849      The mint resumed operation with new crucibles from the east
Fact      Jun 19, 1851       The mint closed, stamps and crucibles sold to firm in Carson Nevada
Fact      May 27, 1859      After nearly 8 years, operations resumed with new stamps and new coins
Fact      1861         Mint shut down for good

Some accounts say the Baldwins stole 150 coins, others claim it was 200 to 250.  No one knows for sure because the mint did not keep good records.  Also the coins were all supposedly of the same denomination but accounts differ as to whether they were 5, 10 or 20 dollar coins.

I?ve never seen published an exact date when the robbery occurred but September 1848 and August 1849 are cited by several authors.  Unfortunately, the first date was 3 months before the mint opened and the second was during the time the mint was closed, waiting for new crucibles.  Neither could be correct.

George Thompson?s date is less exact, citing only the year of 1850.  But the mint was in full operation the entire year so his date is at least plausible.  But Thompson also cites 1852 as the year the bodies of the Baldwin Brothers were found by ?Mormon Scouts? crossing the Sevier Desert from the dry lake to the sulfur mines near Cove Fort.  But one wonders what in the world were those scouts doing out there?  Certainly, they weren?t fishing in the dry lake!  Were they looking for the Baldwins, just on a leisurely excursion through one of the most arid, remote and foreboding places on earth with their only possible contact with other humans being the hostile and fearful Ute Indians?  Thompson mentions the sulfur mines near Cove fort as a possible destination.  This seems reasonable as the fort was founded and run by the Mormons as were the sulfur mines.  But a little research reveals another problem.  Cove Fort was founded in 1867 (to protect travelers from the ferocious Utes Indians) 15 years after the supposed discovery of the Baldwin remains and the sulfur mines came two years later.  Again, the story really falls apart.  Even if the fort and mines had been there, one wonders why Mormon scouts would be out in the middle of absolutely nowhere, 50 to 100 miles form any know trail.

I read an article about a significant number of Mormon coins being turned in to the Philadelphia mint for re-coining.  The suspicion being the Baldwins made good their escape and these coins were the loot from the robbery.  No real details were given in the article and the author was quick to dismiss the Baldwin theory, claiming the coins were ?old, worn and used up coin, clearly not the loot from the Baldwin robbery?.  But wouldn?t it have been a lot easier to turn ?old, worn and used up coin? in to the mint in Salt Lake City than to cart it all the way to Philadelphia?  Further research into this matter reveals some interesting facts.  On Feb 13, 1850, it was reported (in the Painesville Telegraph, an Ohio news outlet obsessed with the goings on of the Mormons) that Clark and Co. (A large bank in Philadelphia) had, a week earlier, deposited $3000.00 in Mormon coin, to be exact 150 20 dollar gold coins.  Clark and Co. records corroborate this claim.  At that time, the Mormon mint would have been in full operation having received new crucibles some 4 months earlier.  However, it is highly unlikely that in only 4 months, these coins could have been ?old, worn, and used up? especially when one remembers the Mormon coins contained a silver alloy for strength (devaluing the coins outside of Utah).  So far, this is the most plausible explanation of where the Baldwin loot ended up.  But I guess it?s just as likely some traveler sold goods to the Mormons while on his way back to the east in early 1850 and was paid with Mormon coins, coins that were not accepted at face value, and so he turned them in at the bank to get American cash?and the Baldwin loot still calls to us from the depths of the vast and foreboding Sevier Desert wasteland.  Do you believe in coincidence?

Mel Fisher and George Thompson did.  They had access to all this (and much more) information when they went after the Baldwin loot.  But some new information came to me just yesterday.  A friend, familiar with the Thompson / Fisher expedition told me they spent very little time and only visited 2 sites near the dry lake, then left the desert for good.  Thereafter they spent several weeks in the Uinta Mountains, searching for the lost Rhodes mines and the sacred Carre-shinob treasure trove Caleb Rhodes once claimed had enough gold in it to pay the billion dollar national debt with enough left over to pave the streets of New York.  And that when the price of gold was $28.00 an ounce!  Forget the Baldwins, let?s head for the Mountains!  Oh heck!! (as we say in Utah), it?s on Ute land and they don?t argue about trespassing, mining claims, rights of way etc., they just shoot you!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg147762.html#msg147762

Offline Karl
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you211

Activity
0%
Male
United States

15290.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounter Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 , Famous Trails MD3005 ,Cen-Tech Pin Pointer MD
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BitburgAggie_7377
because Scipiokid is a good Mormon from a family of good Mormons and it is a matter of conscience.    You, homefire, and the A.R.T. bunch haven't had an opportunity to corrupt him yet.    But then if the Bishop can be bribed, hmmmm......

Hey Now why are we ( A.R.T.) Cool always being blamed for corrupting people ??  Shocked
We are serious Aluminum and Crash site investigators !!  Cheesy  Grin  Cheesy
{alt}

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg147776.html#msg147776
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo160/berquistj/space1.gif

"Keep Digging Its Down There Somewhere" Treasure Hunting, Gold and Coins.

Offline spanishgold1
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2011, 02:25:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

scipiokid,   You are the first person that I have come across that there was a written record in a journal talking about the robbery.  That give great hopes to finding other information.   My great grandfather 7 generations ago had Joseph Smith sword and gave it to the church.  Its on display at the museum in SLC.     I am sure that if you could get to the records of the church that are in the archives where they dont let anyone go, would be a treasure trove.  ill admit I gave very little time to this treasure story only with the fact that there would be that much gold coin sitting on the shelf in the mint which was no a secure location.

I always wondered why Mel Fisher came out here to Utah.  I think its interesting that they flew across the desert with their high tech gear.   You would be also be interesting to know where Thompson came up with the Balldwin brothers as the thieves.   I am wondering where he came up with his sources.

From your screen name I am assuming that you are from Scipio.   Im leaving in Orem right now but grew up in Fountain Green.  There is alot of history their.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg147801.html#msg147801

Offline Scipiokid
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 07:16:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey Karl,
There's one sure fire way to corrupt us Mormons; Chocolate and Ice Cream.  Well that?s two but I think prime rib might be a better choice.  I?m not always as bright as I think?what do you mean aluminum and crash site investigators.  Unless there?s a lot more aluminum out there than anyone thinks, I have a crash site story.  two or three months ago I was using my detector on a job up in the Wasatch Mountains trying to find a telemetry line (it?s the same as a phone line) only about 12-14 inches deep.  I can never figure out my detector, it goes off on everything.  I think it might sound off on a hamburger, but it kept going off like crazy and I wasn?t finding the wires I was looking for, after nearly two days and lots of pot holes, I found my line but I?d already dug up a whole bunch of big chunks of aluminum some 3? long by 1? by ??.  But they didn?t seem to be a part of anything like a broken casting, just big chunks of aluminum or some other light weight metal up on the side of a mountain.  At first I thought they were simply pieces of gravel but when I cleaned them up, they were silver and like I said, real light.  I figured it was probably part of the machine that put the telemetry line in but I think they hand dug it years ago.  Man I wish it had been gold or silver.  Anyway that was my aluminum crash site!  It must have been a crashed alien ship from Botswana or something.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg147897.html#msg147897

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 11:09:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Scipiokid, I'm really enjoying these new twists even though I've got no desire to head north to Utah anytime soon.    Still I might wind up asking you a few questions for clarification.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13971.msg148005.html#msg148005

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: