[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ArfieBoyTopic starter
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:46:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was just reading posts about The Goonies movie, and if it was based on a true legend or treasure story.  From my knowledge and reading I would have to say NO!  The thread discussed possible shipwrecks up and down the northern Oregon coast.

From my knowledge and reading it would fit in with the legedary Neahkanie Mountain treasure along that portion of the coast, although none of the discussion on the Goonies thread ever mentioned it specifically.   Quick outline:  Supposedly a pirate, or Spanish vessel put into the bay at the base of Neahkanie Moutain for repairs (or was shipwrecked).  While repairs were made a chest of alleged treasure was hauled up the mountain by some of the crew and buried.  Over the years the legend has grown and was included in a book by Ruby el Hult, Lost Mines and Treasures of the Pacific Northwest , in the first chapter titled "The Many Mysteries At Neahkanie."  The book was publish in 1957 by Binford and Morts in Portland, Oregon.  It is available on the internet on a number of sites.

Ruby el Hult also wrote and published a second book in 1971 called Treasure Hunting Northwest and touched on the Neahkanie treasure once again.  It also is available on the internet for anyone interested.  Both books make great reading about various treasures around the Pacific Northwest and I highly recommend both of them!  

Neahkanie Mountain treasure is also listed in various internet sites.  Do a search on you favorite search engine.  It is a great story, though full of a lot of speculation, but based on testimony and tales of the Indian tribes that lived in the area.  Check it out!

Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28159.msg199769.html#msg199769

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 01:51:22 pm by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I poked around the Oregon coast for a few years, good times. I found some of the marked rocks that are thought to be possibly treasure related. Problem is one of the past hunters moved some of the rocks. Of course no one has decyphered the markings so who knows if it's a problem or not since they may not even relate to treasure.  Grin

Neahkanie has been pretty well searched by all accounts, it's also known as the "mountain of 1000 holes". Some accounts say the chest went up the mountain and some say it was buried on the beach with the body of one of the pirates atop it to keep the natives away. I actually believe there were two seperate instances, but all evidence I know of is circumstantial at best. I've also heard accounts of pieces of eight being found on the beach, but never been able to validate the accounts.

I agree that the Goonies movie wasn't based on anything resembling a real event. I love the movie but it is just a movie and should be enjoyed as such. They may have borrowed a notion or two, but nothing I ever read about matches any part of the film.

Good stuff! Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28159.msg199798.html#msg199798

Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 07:24:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are right Idaho Jones, it is just a movie.  And a good one!  Did you live in Oregon at one time?  You seem to have spent a lot of time around the state, like the coast to Camp Carson.  That's a pretty wide spread!  If you're ever in the La Grande area and headed to Camp Carson again, give me a call.  I don't know if I could even find it again!  Last time I was there it was somewhat disorienting due to changes and tree growth.  That was in 1998 and I haven't been back since.  Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll send you my phone number.  I probably have some pictures from long before you were there.  I started going there in 1972.  I guess I should put some of those pictures on my computer and I could e-mail them!

Anyway, I find the Neahkahnie Mtn. treasure to be very interesting, but I'm not sure that it hasn't grown beyond any truth at all by now!  Btw, I misspelled the mountain's name in the original post and title.  It has another "h" in it!   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28159.msg199807.html#msg199807

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 07:25:37 pm by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah I never could spell it either Cheesy

Yeah post the pics, I'd like to see it before they "improved" it

I started going to the woodley area in the late 80s or early 90s if I recall. I was living in Idaho and my sis was in Portland area so we would meet there to camp every summer and ride quads around. I still drop by now and again, its only a 3 hour drive from here. I did move over to the west coast for a few years and spent a lot of time at the beaches along Oregons coast.

Next summer I wouldn't mind heading up to the Camp Carson area again, as I have an idea where that old dredge is I found once. It's been bugging me for years   Grin A lot of the old tunnels are probably active again now though since gold is so high. I'll definitely PM you if I head that way.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28159.msg199871.html#msg199871

Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:21:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Sounds good!  I look forward to it.   I'll try to get some pictures posted in the next week or so.  I've got kind of a busy schedule this coming week, but I still should have some time to get them downloaded and posted.   Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28159.msg199891.html#msg199891

ArfieBoy

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: