[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Idaho JonesTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 11:59:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Greetings all, sorry I have been away a while. A Goonies style treasure would be quite neat Smiley hopefully without the booby traps hehe.

On the St Francis Xavier which is the suspected name of the Spanish Galleon wrecked on Nehalem Spit. This was derived from referencing cargo manifests and crossed to some wax blocks with initials found at the wreck site. I never actually found the wreck site myself, just read about it. I also never heard of any treasure taken from that wreck. If I can locate the book I first saw it in, which I should have in storage, I will relate the title. It was something like "Treasure Tales of Oregon" circa early 1960s

There was also an old Native American tale of a pirate treasure (or possibly two) buried in south of Nehalem near Nehaukanie. Don't quote my exact spelling on Nehaukanie.  Grin Apparently a ship sailed in dropped off some chests in a big hole, killed a sailor and placed him on top. Also another version says they carried the boxes up the mountain where it was buried. I doubt this version as those chests are heavy and probably didnt go far. A lot of people have looked for that one, Nehaukanie Mountain is also called the mountain of a thousand holes. Another version says the ship wrecked there and the crew settled in with the native population.

Also Drake supposedly stopped for a while somewhere along the coast. I don't think anyone knows if it was Oregon, Washington, or British Columbian coast he stopped at, or even if he dropped off any loot. He was supposedly rather successful at privateering.  Fight
He apparently did some survey work which is more than likely what the rocks are about if they belong to him, but who knows  Grin Seems like a lot of work to hide a treasure, carving a bunch of rocks. I think it more likely pirates would choose a prominant landmark than a rock that might get moved or be hard to find.

The map rock near Haystack as I recall it is approximately even with the edge of the Haystack rock formation nearest the beach and south (parallel to the beach) about 50 to 100 feet. I recall it to be a tan or possibly orangish colored slab about 1 foot wide. Haystack rock has to be out of the water at least halfway to find it, so it has to be an extreme negative tide to get there. Good Hunting  Smiley     

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5516.msg51566.html#msg51566

Offline justint538
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 12:59:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

This would be great to look for! I have some family in the area so next time I'm there i will have to check this out! Thanks for the great info!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5516.msg65624.html#msg65624

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

very interesting...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5516.msg67216.html#msg67216

Offline gimp55
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

415.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

none
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 01:10:00 am »
Go Up Go Down

the coastline no.&so.of there is rich in history, books and maps documenting wrecks and discovery for centurys, the mouth of the columbia is called the graveyard of the pacific for a reason!!gimp55

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,5516.msg135851.html#msg135851

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: