[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline spanishgold1Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

440.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:51:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have spent studying the Jim Reynolds gang in Colorado, and have come to the conclusion that the stories are false.  I have come across 3 written accounts with different versions,that are close enough to each other but different

After doing countless hours of reading old news papers, these treasure accounts are much different than what I have investigated in old newspapers.

I will give some examples without going into much detail because I don't want to make this a long blog.

The story goes that the Reynolds gang was robbing coaches, ranches, etc. to get money for the Confederate  cause. An estimated up to $100,000 in gold dust, jewerly, and cash was reported they had stolen. I going to give three brief accounts.

A newspaper article in the 1930 which I found was written by a pioneer who was 14 years old and his Dad's ranch/stage stop was one that the Reynolds gang robbed and stole $80,000.00

An Albert Brown was befriended by John Reynolds, and before he died told him were the loot was buried,  Albert told a Col. in the first Calvary who later became a famous detective looking for outlaws in the west,where the loot was hidden. He later wrote a book and gave the account.

Thats a very brief summary.  Here is the problems with the story.

First off why would Albert Brown who was from a New Mexico, travel to Colorado to look for the loot and tell this Detective where the treasure was located.  Thats nuts.. He wouldnt.  The detective wouldnt even know that he was looking for hidden loot.

Newpaper accounts at that time reported that at the ranch/stage stop that the gang only took a gold watch and $500.00 in gold dust.  A far cry from $80,000.00 unless there was a story that i missed.  Also The pioneer was off a year in his date.  He said 1863, yet the gang was looting in the area in 1864.

The newspaper reported that one of the robbers was caught and forced to tell them everything or as I took it, or read between the lines get hung.    He stated that the plan was to all meet up in Canyon City which is far south of where the gang was looting at the time and not anywhere near their hide out as reported in the stories.  He said " we were to meet on August 5 to divide the money and make arrangements for future operations".  If the money was going to be pooled together with one large amount for the confederacy  cause, this statement of we were going to divide the money says otherwise.

The biggest clue that the stories were not true was another newspaper account that said that the posse found them camping and caught them totally by surprise and off guard, where as the stories or ledgends told is that Jim Reynolds sensed an ambush and went up the mountain and hid the loot in a hole.   The newpaper account said that they were so caught off guard that they left their possessions, their horses, their guns, and found the gold watch that was stolen, $250.00 in gold dust and a large amount of GreenBacks.  That doesnt add up, that he buried the loot before the ambush.  They were so caught off guard that all there possessions were left behind, including the gold dust, the watch and an huge amount of greenbacks.

This was a very brief synopsis of what the legend or story and the written newspaper accounts.    If anyone has done some hunting or in depth research on the Reynolds gang in Colorado, like I have,  I would like to hear from you and maybe we can pick apart the truth from fiction.  It all goes to research, research, and more research.  Yes old newspaper accounts can be wrong, but with camp fire stories or newpaper accounts, you have to side with the newspaper accounts.  In closing it reminded me of when I was metal detecting on the east coast beaches. An old timer treasure hunter talked to me for hours telling me stories of hidden treasure along the coast. I had zero stories to tell him.  The following day we met up again along with another old time treasure hunter that came by to talk to both of us.  The first guy said.  ahh you dont want to talk to Keith ( which is me).  He doesnt have any stories to tell.  I said you have been here on the coast for over 25 years and you have all these treasure stories, yet you are hear on the beach looking for quarters.  That does not add up.  Stories are stories, yet facts are facts.    If you can add to the Reynolds Gang research, I would appreciate it.  All of your comments are good even if you disagree with me.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28255.msg200280.html#msg200280

Offline Rhawk6012
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 36.0.1985.143
Chrome 36.0.1985.143

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Interesting about the Reynolds Gang treasure you posted in 2011. One other interesting item is the map that Jim Reynolds was supposed to have drawn. It doesn’t work.
The map shows Mt Logan to the north of the Old South Park Stage Road and the headwaters of Deer Creek, when in fact, Mt Logan is located south of both the road and Deer Creek headwaters.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28255.msg280596.html#msg280596

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: