[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldpanner8944Topic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT
« on: July 19, 2011, 07:00:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I all, I'm new to the site but have been prospecting for  sometime now and would like to try my hand at treasure hunting.I read  about a stagecoach robbery around the town of Columbus Nevada. All the info that i can fine is very little, not much to go on.I would like to do some hunting for it if i can get more info.If anyone knows anything about it or were i can get more info that would be great.
Thanks Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187464.html#msg187464

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

There are dozens of reported coach robbery in that area do you have a date are what was taken. Till then here are a couple of leads you may want to research.
Columbus, Nevada at one time was a very prosperous mining town today it is nothing more than a ghost town. There is another mining operation that is around two miles from the original one, which has some of the remnants of the 1950 buildings around. It is believed that there is a hidden cache of gold that was taken from highwaymen is hidden somewhere where Columbus once stood.
Goldfield Nevada has three reports of lost treasures. A flash flood hit Goldfield on September 3, 1913, and two safes were reported to have been washed away. The gully that was created washed items west of Goldfield. It is believed that all the mud buried the safes. Today, these two safes full of hundreds of gold coins have never been found.
In 1910 in Goldfield, two prospectors buried twenty sacks of high-grade gold ore, which was valued at around $1,000 in a mine dump between Goldfield and Diamond Field. As the legend goes, before either of the men could come back and retrieve their gold they died.
One bizarre treasure tale is that of Harry Bishop. At one time, he was a geologist and mining school graduate that worked in the mine in Goldfield. During a terrible cave-in, Bishop was trapped. His leg had to be amputated after his rescue. He was from that day forward unable to work in the mines and was sent to work at the smelter. He blamed the cave-in in which he lost his leg on the owners of the mine. To seek revenge, he began smuggling gold out of the smelter with the help of his hollowed out wooden leg. He was finally caught and sent to prison. It was estimated that Bishop had stolen over $100,000, but only around $50,000 of the gold was found in his home when he was arrested. Bishop never returned to Goldfield, so no one knows the whereabouts of the remainder of the stolen gold. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187488.html#msg187488

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:47:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yea! The stage robbery I'm looking into is the one at Columbus . From  what I have read is that . The stage would make two runs a day to Candelaria and on one of these runs they had the pay roll for the workers in Candelaria and was robbed in the canyon behind Columbus and  the payroll was buried in the canyon by the highwaymen. Numerous searches were made but the loot was never found.This could be no more then an old west story. But would like to find out more. I don't have  a date for the robbery, this is all the info  I have been able to fine.
Goldpanner8944

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187595.html#msg187595

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 06:22:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK this is from memory so you will need to research the facts.

Around 1870's and early 1880's a bandit named Milton Sharp had a gang that robbed 20 or more stages along the California and Nevada border. Rumor was he hide most of the money right after each robbery. He was arrested several times and I think was jailed in  Candelaria once.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187597.html#msg187597

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 06:21:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ok thanks, I'll look into that and see what I can find out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187730.html#msg187730

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When you search for a stagecoach event, there are two things you are going to find. One is nothing and the other is relics that show the presence of a stagecoach. Relics like trace chains, links of chain, wheel hubs and so forth litter the stage routes. Once you establish you are on one, it's then you can apply the old biological detecting devices to look for possible areas where you might see an ambush occur. The biological devices are your eyes. Look for placed where the coach operators could be surprised by robbers. Then, look for escape routes for the robbers that would not allow pursuit by the coach itself. In other words, they would not take the stage road. Instead, a faint trail into the wilds of the area would be the most likely path of escape.

Most robberies were successful in the removal of money and valuables but not all escapes were successful. In fact, most weren't. Focus on that for the best results. Today, we have lost our ability to track movement across the land. In the days of great stage robberies, even a smudge on dead grass was enough to point towards an escape. I've never recovered a stagecoach robbery cache but I have found sections of rotted canvas bags and lead seals out near San Bernadino that were Butterfield Stagecoach bags.

Be aware too of how much gold and cash weigh. Some of the stories tell of payrolls being $50,000 but that amount of cash or gold would be beyond carrying by fleeing robbers on horseback.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187744.html#msg187744

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:23:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks alot that is very good info really didn't think about like that. This will be my first time looking for anything like that. I'll try and remember that when I start looking if I ever get the info that I need. If I don't get the info I need, I'll try another place that maybe Melton Sharp is said have buried his loot. Thanks again golddigger1950 great info. Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26642.msg187761.html#msg187761

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: