[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline ChristianTopic starter
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States
Referrals: 0

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« on: December 30, 2009, 06:45:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

The Paymaster Gold Treasure Recovery

This treasure recovery took place in 1926 on the north edge of what used to be the Fort Reno military reservation near El Reno, Oklahoma. Fort Reno was established in 1874 for the U.S. Army in ?No Mans Land? for the protection of the Five Civilized Tribes from the not so civilized Plains Indians.

The fort was abandoned in 1908 after Oklahoma became a state but it was still used as a U.S Cavalry remount station until 1949. Today the property is used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

During the week of January 10th, 1926 Edward Crane, a fence rider for the Fort, discovered the hole while making his rounds. The hole, 13 feet deep and 8 feet wide, was located south of Darlington and about five hundred yards from where the Chisholm Trail crossed the North Canadian River.

Mr. Crane had just been by the location two days earlier and there hadn?t been a hole there so it was surmised that whoever dug the hole worked during the dark of night so they wouldn?t be discovered. And worked fast I might add, that?s a big damn hole!

Now for the weird part, the location of the hole was on flat, tilled ground with no landmarks what so ever in the immediate vicinity. Whoever dug the hole only dug the one hole and left very little for clues as to what might have been in the hole to begin with.

They also where able to hit their target dead on because when the hole was inspected closely a box made of rotting wooden timbers was found almost squarely in the center of the hole. The box was approximately four feet square and it appeared that a large metal box or safe had originally been inside the wooden box.

The only other clues left behind was a bucket and a rope used to haul the dirt out of the of the hole. Officials were at a loss on how to explain how anyone would know where to dig a hole to make the recovery because there wasn?t anything close by to use as a land mark or measure from and no clues of any kind were found in the area.

Remember, this was in a tilled field with nothing but dirt and more dirt, the closest ?landmark? was the tracks of the Rock Island railway that were south of the hole through another field.

Officials at Fort Reno estimated the box had been in the ground between 30 and 50 years and said that what was recovered may have been a safe ?with a large amount of money? that was ?lost? by a government paymaster in route over the Chisholm Trail to Fort Reno.

The funny part is, according to the government report the safe was supposedly lost when the vehicle it was being carried in tried to cross the North Canadian River and became bogged down in quicksand.

Now just how does an army payroll in a safe inside a vehicle that supposedly sank in quicksand end up in a wooden box at the bottom of a hole on dry land? I guess Uncle Sam has always been a little scatter brained when it comes to accounting for money!

I know this isn?t something you can look for but hearing about somebody recovering something is always interesting. Especially when it seems like the people making the recovery must have had x-ray vision!

Fort Reno, OK

Fort Reno (Wikipedia)

North Canadian River (Wikipedia)

Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History

Chisolm Trail (Wikipedia)

Along the Chisolm Trail

Oklahoma Treasure and Treasure Tales

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg65025.html#msg65025

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 06:29:08 am by Christian »

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline IronHorse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

266.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Pro,Tesoro Deleon
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:40:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Christian, I seem to remember reading an article on this several years ago, and was equally puzzled about clues and directions.  Maybe those that recoverd  the safe/box, went  on a compass heading to a point where the compass began to waver strangely, as some of the outlaws of Oklahoma use to cover their loot with tin or other metallic pieces. There surely wasn't the technology that we have today. Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg65168.html#msg65168

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:48:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have been interested in this story for years its a great mystery. An old treasure hunter I know had a theory that it was outlaw loot hid in the 1890's and one of the outlaws came back to get it. Good story but still no land marks in that area and why bury it or anything at almost 14ft.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg65215.html#msg65215

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline proberod
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett BFO Whites MXT
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:55:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

Might be worth some more research as I've read thet some of the JJ trove was relocated to the northwest of the fort . Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg67051.html#msg67051

Offline treasuremomo
micmomo
Bronze Member

micmomo
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1990.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

I'VE USED MANY BRANDS AND MODELS-TESORO, WHITES,GARRETT,FISHER,NAUTILUS,D-TEX,WILSON NEUMAN,ETC.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:52:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

interesting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg67221.html#msg67221

Offline Bum Luck
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 2500
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 08:19:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by seldom
I have been interested in this story for years its a great mystery. An old treasure hunter I know had a theory that it was outlaw loot hid in the 1890's and one of the outlaws came back to get it. Good story but still no land marks in that area and why bury it or anything at almost 14ft.  

As someone who finds buried stuff for a living, I find this puzzling too.

First, I don't care who you are, things look different after years go by. The memory isn't a perfect recall, but plays tricks on us, a fact not appreciated back then. How can the recovery find this place with perfect recall?

Secondly, why 13 feet down? 6 ft would be more than sufficient.  When you redig a hole, it is usually apparent that someone dug it before you. If you know that, you will keep going regardless of the depth if you suspect there is treasure. 13 feet would be no deterrent, no more than 6.

Any recovery would have to be dependent on measuring from landmarks. I know of no other means of doing it. The fact that there was only one hole (the right one) was evidence that occurred.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg67913.html#msg67913

Offline proberod
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

75.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett BFO Whites MXT
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 10:20:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

It could be found with a surveyors magnetic compass BUT the operator of such would have to very experienced to see the deflection at that depth, even with that amount of iron. Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg67946.html#msg67946

Offline IronHorse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

266.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett, Pro,Tesoro Deleon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 11:22:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

One possible reason that it is so deep, goes back to the great sandstorms of the Great Depression Days as Oklahoma was known as the "Dust Bowl". Especially the areas around Ft. Reno. Blowing sands would leave vast drifts of sand, just as snow does. Just a thought.........

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg67972.html#msg67972

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:40:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

IronHorse, the only problem with your Dustbowl theory is that the treasure was recovered before the Dustbowl started.     A flood depositing a large amount of silt could also account for the extra depth, but if there were a flood of that magnitude between burial and recovery, it makes the fact that only one hole was dug even more remarkable as I would expect a lot of landmarks to change.    The simplest idea is that it was buried deep to begin with.   I think if I were going to try to solve the whole mystery, at least one person involved in burying it and recovering it would have a surveying or engineering background.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10299.msg68025.html#msg68025

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: