[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 18, 2011, 05:33:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

MILAM COUNTY – There are two tales from Milam County that sound very similar. Both involve a group of Mexicans who are trying to protect their gold. Both events are said to have occurred in the vicinity of Thorndale, and both involve the murder of an uninvolved third party whose corpse is buried with the treasure so that its restless spirit can guard the hoard.
The best account involves an old timer named Snively who owned a large tract of land along the San Gabriel River. One night a group of Mexicans with nine jack loads of freebooted gold passed the Snively home, heading south for Mexico. At river’s edge, the Mexicans decided to bury the treasure since the road ahead had been plagued by highwaymen and Indians in recent months.
They dug a hole and deposited the hoard inside, covering it over with isinglass to prevent a mineral rod from discovering it. Believing the only way to truly protect the gold was to bury a man with the treasure, they returned to the Snively home and kidnapped him.
Snively was forced to ride to the cache site where he was murdered and his lifeless corpse tossed into the hole.
The excavation was then camouflaged and marked by the Mexicans, who then continued onto Mexico. Their plan was to recover the gold at a safer time, however, nothing more was ever heard of them.
In the second account, a priest is killed and buried with the treasure. Whenever anyone approaches the cache site the apparition of an angry bull appears with fire exploding from its nostrils chasing away any would-be fortune hunters.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202114.html#msg202114

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A bull with fire exploding from its nostrils?  I don't think that would scare me away.  It sure would be interesting to see, though!    Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202121.html#msg202121

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 11:28:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by ArfieBoy
I don't think that would scare me away.

I don't know, have you ever SEEN a bull with fire exploding from his nostrils (at least outside the cartoons)...... A mad bull, real or phantasmic, would definitely take some dealing with.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202180.html#msg202180

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 01:22:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

LOL! I find the Mentions of the  isinglass and Mineral Rods intriguing.

I'm assuming (You Know How That Goes)  that the  isinglass there talking about was of the Mica type and not fish guts.  (Mental Note.  Gotta Play games with the LRL folks on the GeoTech Forum.)

Also assuming that the Mineral Rod were Divining Rods?

Does this story have Any credibility?

We know it was facts that Pirates used Slaves or Captives to burry Treasure when handy and killed them on the spot.   ( Mental Note: This was a Story Book Idea, but Could be True.)

Still the  isinglass  thing has my attention.   LOL

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202200.html#msg202200

Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
2%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:07:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

A real bull would scare the hell out of me no matter what was exploding from its nostrils!  Especially if it was headed in my direction in a hurry!  Bull riders have BIG ones, but Bull Fighters have even BIGGER ones!

I was also wondering about the isinglass.  When I was but a wee lad, it was used in stove doors to let the light out and protect from heat.  Interesting to hear it was believed to protect from mineral rods!  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202216.html#msg202216

ArfieBoy

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:10:07 am by ArfieBoy »

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:30:15 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by homefire
Does this story have Any credibility?

NO lol  In fact this is a cut and paste from somewhere that I had on my hard drive. In my files the story is a little different. When I was told the story back in the 70's it involved only 3 jack loads of gold no talk of isinglass bulls or killing anyone. This is the version that was published in one of the treasure mags.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202217.html#msg202217

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 09:03:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

The first thing that came to mind is why bury a treasure you have to return for?

So they aquired the gold (from where?) and transported it to the middle of Texas give or take (or maybe it came from there?), then weren't sure they could make it across the border alive so they bury it.

If in thier shoes, why would you do that?

Did they bury it because they expected the road to be safer in the future? I think that is unlikely.
Perhaps they intended to aquire a hired force to help them retrieve it later?
Were they being pursued and needed to travel light and fast? Would it really be any safer from Indians?
Animals or men in poor repair or wounded?

I could see in some situations everyone taking what they could carry, bury the rest, and making a run for it.

hmmmm?  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,28594.msg202222.html#msg202222

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: