[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:56:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It is a good story but think that's all it is is a story. I did a little research on it years ago but could find little useful info. 25 years ago I did have an old timer show me a lake that he claimed was deadmans lake about 2 miles south of Porter just off hwy 59 but doubt if I could find it now with all the building going on there. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg197617.html#msg197617

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:05 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom, thanks. You keep an endless supply of treasure tales coming

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg215956.html#msg215956

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Offline arkoquisa
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am a local historian to this area. yes artifacts have been found from what i have read/heard by word of mouth... yet i have not seen any evidence first hand to anything of Spanish or Mexican origin. In addition to much of my studies to the Spanish in this land, and the Mexican administration thereafter, I can debunk nearly ever story i have heard of the dead mans lake story. i do know conclusively where the lake is however. there are homes surrounding the area and the road is blocked off, most likely to ward off people trying to illegally search the pond. The pond itself is small in size, 30 to 50 feet across depending on the level of rain, in addition it is a spring and quite impossible to drain to any real success. I would be interested to search the site myself as any evidence would be of great interest to my personal research, that... and being a historian i would never want to see such artifacts sold for a minuscule profit, any items found should be sent to museums (although the houston museum of natural sciences exhibit in 2010 on texas history was more flawed than a freshman-level college text book) or colleges for research by archaeologists and other historians like myself, even though I'm the only person under the age of 40 who studies this land. I have met one treasure hunter who has equipment and wants me help me in my search, however; i do not wish to see anything sold off there is so little knowledge to this area of that time, and with the rapid over development of the area in the last 10 years anything else lost to time would surly be a crime. anyone truly interested in going out there with me in the name of historical conservation, please email me at  i have no interest in liberating the land of any more history, too much has already been lost.

Any evidence within the area would, with more likelihood than any rumor or story, be derived from the black market trading with Jacinto de Barrios, the Spanish governor who resided here and ran his own black market contraband ring with the natives, and prevented the only settlement planned for the area in the time of Spanish rule. The stories of gold transfer are quite ridiculousness and make little to no merit to actual events. Sorry to burst  anyone's bubble but I sincerely doubt there was ANY gold of significant size to ever to pass through this area, in addition i have, in what all likelihood, the largest map collection of this land and have endlessly studied and walked the trails of this area. the idea that the Spanish would end up in that location with the level of gold, makes absolutely NO sense in any way shape or form. the story to this post speaking of the Mexicans crossing through with the gold is new story to me and have not read any previous story to where the gold was derived from the Mexican authorities. I have a map drawn up by SFA in the time with the trails and knowing the populations and conditions of the natives and early Anglo settlers, it is unlikely more than a hand-full of people would have even inhabited the area, and anything of that significance would surely have been capitalized on soon thereafter and well recorded. sorry to spoil it for y'all, i too wish the stories to be true, but there is NO evidence of any gold transfer, any loss, or any 2 stories of the treasure even having some relevance to each other. all the stories have mixed dates, reasons, conclusions, and are quite ridiculous to myself as none mention Jacinto de Barrios and his Contraband ring, which would be the only legitimate time any such events could have happened, as it was the only time any significant spanish influence was in the area, and the only time trade and money transfer would have occurred. in addition the Spanish and Mexican authorities would have NO reason what so ever to cross through this area, especially with that size of gold. Any major transfer would have been through the caminos north and northwest of this land, the only two major roads in this area would have been the atascosito road (trace) and the biday trail, both of which do not cross the location, although they are in the general vicinity, the roads would have been known for being undeveloped and most importantly would be completely out of the way. It honestly makes no sense of any kind. sorry y'all, happy hunting, and BTW I have found some very early Anglo pottery and archaeologist have dated it to the 1830's time, but I'm not telling y'all where i found it. I have heard stories of Spanish swords and cannon balls found, the swords were somewhat close to the Spanish location and the pond, although the cannonballs were found a league or so in distance from any known native or Spanish location, i more so suspect civil war era.

If anyone has any ACTUAL documented information to the actual transfer of gold in this area, via Spanish or Mexican, I would love to hear from you and please email me the information would be of unending value to my research to my land. I would also love to hear of any other variations of the Dead Mans Pond story, even if they are void of proof.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235245.html#msg235245

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:40:55 pm by seldom »
Offline ArfieBoy
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you294

Activity
3%
Male
United States

16031.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Compass X-70; Compass X-200; Compass Coin Scanner Pro II; Whites Coinmaster 2/DB Series 2
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 01:23:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good luck, Arkoquisa, with your research and search for your local history!  And, welcome to the forum, from the Blue Mountains of northeastern Oregon!   Welcome  Look forward to your future posts here.   Great                     Wise

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235246.html#msg235246

ArfieBoy

Government can not give anything to anyone...  without first taking it from someone else!

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 01:52:22 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by arkoquisa
If anyone has any ACTUAL documented information to the actual transfer of gold in this area, via Spanish or Mexican, I would love to hear from you and please email me the information would be of unending value to my research to my land. I would also love to hear of any other variations of the Dead Mans Pond story, even if they are void of proof.

Thats not going to happen. You came off as a know it all which we can tell you know little of what we do. You claim to be able to debunk the stories of Dead mans Lake but you did not do so. You claim to be a historian but I find that hard to believe. You claim to have  the largest map collection of this area I know for a fact thats not true.

Arfie lets slow down on the welcomes unless they are in the new member area. Please

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235258.html#msg235258

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 01:54:32 pm by seldom »

Offline bsloan
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace 250
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 07:32:08 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have read your post a couple of times, and I am a little confused. I'm not responding to be combative, so please don't take it that way.
If you don't know for sure where the pond is, how do you know the size of it, and that it's spring fed. In the area where I live, spring fed ponds or lakes have no sloped banks, it's just flat ground, and a body of water. If this is the case with the pond in question, rainfall should not affect the size. as far as the road being closed off, we have that problem here also, this is normally to try and prevent being sued.

I feel all legends have a basis of truth, but you really don't know which part is truth. I try to stay open minded on all things I read or hear about, but when it comes to treasure, I want to believe it all! The simple fact is, most of us grew up dreaming of finding some lost pirate treasure, or buried treasure of some sort.  Not very much has been found compared to the number of legends. It doesn't mean they don't exist.

As to the location of the pond, I compare it to the story of gold being buried in the banks of the Brazos River.  I've seen maps the show 3 different rivers named Brazos, and several roads/trails named for the trail taken.  I gusss it depends on who tells the story the most, if the facts are wrong in the most told story, then most people have misinformation.

Sorry for rambling, this was something that hit me funny.
Best of luck in proving or disproving your legends.
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235352.html#msg235352

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 04:12:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

bsloan you need to quote the person your talking to or your post is just rambling. I don't remember anyone posting about a spring feed lake.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235405.html#msg235405

Offline FlowerOfTheSea
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1685.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett ADS III / Garrett Sea Hunter
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 04:24:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Maybe reply#12. on the spring fed pond.  Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235407.html#msg235407

FlowerOfTheSea (Flor Do Mar)

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks Flor Do Mar didn't want to read that nonsense post again.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11335.msg235415.html#msg235415

Offline jrgruner66
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

25.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows Vista/Server 2008