[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seahawke2003Topic starter
Pull Tab

Ar-r-r! And Fall Away!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 17, 2006, 03:37:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Does anyone have information regarding dig sand exploration of Cocos Island, Costa Rica?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg647.html#msg647

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:02:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Seahawke,
I'm not quite sure what you actually mean by dig sand exploration of Cocos?

There are many theories and there have been many expeditions. Are you looking for anything specific or are you looking for one or all of the alleged treasures it is supposed to hide??

Regards Crowsnest1.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1015.html#msg1015

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 07:13:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

I had meet a German Treasure Hunter some years ago who had been on two expeditions to Cocos Island. Unfortunately I do not remember his name any longer but he was president of a club called "Cocos e.V.", based in Berlin.

I had talked with him for a while and learned that at the moment eitehr no permits will be given any more by the Costa Rican governement to conduct hunts or you will have to pay a tremandous amount of money.

Also since the island got under strict enviornmental protection I think that diggings can no longr be done.

The last thing I remember having heared re. Cocos Island was that a Russian team had cliamed to have located a Gold deposit through satelite thermal photography and they had been looking for an investor.

Best wishes,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1016.html#msg1016

THunting.com - Your Friendly One Stop Treasure Resource

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:49:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,
I believe I spoke to you many years ago, ref, the Treasure of Capt. William Kidd!!

Coming back to the Cocos Island Treasures, I have been studying this and many other treasures since we last spoke.
Unfortunately a couple of years ago one of my greatest Treasures was Taken from me!!
My eldest son David was tragically killed and for a number of years I could not think or concentrate on anything.
However I remember his words to me when we were watching a TV programme about lost treasure and he said to me Dad, you are just like those adventurers on the television, so I have slowly been picking up my treasure threads and am now pursuing them again.
Coming back to Cocos, I have also heard of the Russian claim to have used satellite imagery.
Although I was informed that they had retrieved a large cache in partnership with the Costa Rican government.

A little while ago I was contacted by a guy in Australia who was also doing research, he gave me a set of directions, which he believes would lead to the Treasure of Lima.
However he believes this treasure is located on the "Tuamatos Islands".
I followed this link and realised that the Tuamatos Islands are very low lying, they do not raise much over 10metres from sea level.

So with this in mind I set to trying to solve the location of the co-ordinates he gave me:
which are as follows;

AFTER BURYING THE TREASURE WE PLANTED A COCO PALM AND MARKED OUR LOCATION BY COMPASS WHICH WAS EAST HALF EAST EAST MOUNTAIN TEN NORTH EASTWEST MOUNTAIN??

As there are no mountains on tuamatos this island group can be eliminated, however the Lima Treasure is alleged to be one of the treasures buried on Cocos, so I first tried to make sense of the directions and then to locate its position on Cocos!!

Obviously I spent a number of months in breaking the directions down and finally came up with the following;

EAST BY HALF EAST TO EAST MOUNTAIN, TEN NORTH EAST OF WEST MOUNTAIN??

But would this match Cocos?, I tried to use the co-ordinates from the common landing point at Wafer Bay, where it is alleged that Capt. william Thompson of the Brig Mary Deare buried it, unfortunately I could not get the directions to fit, as you are probably aware Cocos has six extinct volcanoes which I have classed as the Mountains the directions speak of.

I then tried to locate the directions to any part of Cocos using a combination of the mountains, this also turned up nothing or no matches.

I then remembered that the directions to the treasure were taken by compass, THIS WAS IN THE YEAR 1821.

The Magnetic compass would obviously have changed, so I tried to get a fix without using True north..........................and I got one!!

To get an alignment of the mountains I had to be 10 degrees east of true north.

I contacted the Geo-magnetic centre in Edinburgh Scotland who informed me that the magnetic compass deviation for the Cocos region in 1821 was ......................10 degrees EAST of TRUE NORTH.
This could of course just be pure coincidence!!

Regards Crowsnest1

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1020.html#msg1020

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 09:10:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear Kevin,

thank for stopping by at THunting.com.

I think I remember having been in touch with you as well. However that must have been back in around '98 when I had TTHN (Transnational Treasure Hunting Net) on the web.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I had unfortunately to learn that some of the friends I had been in touch back then have passed on in the meantime.

I must say that your post is very interesting. I had noty et realized a possible connection between Cocos Island and the Tuamotos. However I think that judging from your research it could be possible.

Do you have any more information on the possible recovery by teh Russian team? I would be very interested in learning more about it.

Sincerly,

Christian

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1022.html#msg1022

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:02:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,
In 2002 I was working in my home town of Plymouth and chanced to meet a Costa Rican called Flanders.
He was working on my site as a welder for a local company.
I struck up an instant friendship with him and as probably like most of your conversations the topic of conversation turned to Treasure.
He was of course fascinated that I knew so much about his country.

his uncles are fisherman and quite often they fish off the coast of Cocos( their catch being Sharks) which they prize for their fins which they sell to the Asian market, where this part of the shark is highly sought after.
Over the year we invited wach other back to our homes to meet our respective families, our conversations were always about Cocos and its Treasures.
We arranged to make a small expedition to the island, he had been in contact with his uncles who had agreed to take me in the early months of 2003.

However before our trip could take place he informed me that his father had called to say that a Russian team using Satellite thermal imagery had located a cache in the area we had discussed from the directions I have given to your site.
His father went on to say that the Russians were accompanied by some Costa Rican Nationals and that this party were arrested by the Costa Rican authoritys' .
At that time I tried to get information from the Cosat Rican government, the Peruvian government, CNN and the Spanish government, no one answered my Emails or enquiries.
So I decided not to continue with this Quest.
Yours is the first web site to receive this information. I cannot however verify any part of the story.
Best wishes, Crowsnest.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1023.html#msg1023

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you very much for sharing this exclusive information with us!

I must say that this sounds like an amazing turn in the history of Cocos Island. The last cache recovery is almost a hundred years ago from what I remember and if I still have it right there ought to be two hoards of pirates treasure.

Furthermore if this is true it will aid a lot to use of satelite technology in treasure hunting.

It is interesting that nobody replied to you. If there was nothing found they could have easily told you so. But not answering at all gives it a slight different spin in my oppinion.

I hope that we can find out more about in the future!

Thanks again for sharing this information with us!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1026.html#msg1026

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you or your fellow members are interested, I will disclose the locations on Cocos where I believe Two of the Treasures are hidden.
The first Location being approx. 500metres' inland of Esperanza/ English bay, which lies in the South of Cocos Island.
The second Location as shown on an old chart of Cocos, depicts the shape of a man holding a lit firebrand torch while appearing to descend into a hole or cave, this figure is hidden around the hatching along the edge of the chart.
His location would be at the northeast end of Wafer bay which shows a small creek which winds around behind this beach, he appears to disappear into a cave or similar in this location.
While I could be mistaken, both of these locations are practical and logical, in the sense that if these treasures are buried on Cocos during the 18th and 19th centuries, then they would have to be landed by hand or winch and hauled to their location.
Given the crew and time available they would not be too far from the high water mark!!

Regards  Crowsnest

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1033.html#msg1033

Offline Christian
Administrator
Platin Member

Wuf! Wuf!
Thank you56

Activity
0%
Male
Independent Rouge States

2305.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 12:32:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think it is very kind and generous to disclose the location of what you think might be the treasure spots to us. Thank you very much.

Now I wish anyone of us could search the area.

I will goahed and print your posting and add it to my Cocos Island folder.

Thank you very much again  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1059.html#msg1059

Offline crowsnest1
Copper Member

ENDEAVOR TO PERSEVERE
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

398.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2006, 01:09:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Christian,

If any of your members, or anyone who reads this has an opportunity to search Cocos, then please come back to me as I can define the search in either area to approx 100sq. metres.
Best wishes Kevin/crowsnest

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,162.msg1065.html#msg1065

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: