[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BitburgAggie_7377Topic starter
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States
Referrals: 0

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« on: May 30, 2010, 11:07:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

On this one day of the year that we, the living, have set aside in remembrance of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country and for their countrymen, I do not say that we honor them for the honor they have brought to themselves is greater than any honor we could possibly bestow upon them.  Instead it is for us to dedicate ourselves to preserving their memories and to advancing the ideals upon which our country was founded so their sacrifice shall not have been in vain.   
    It is fitting that we take a few moments to remember why we have both a Memorial Day and a Veteran's Day (and it isn't so we can have an extra 3 day weekend).   One truly is meant to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice and to stand with their families and their comrades in solemn committment to finishing what has been begun.   The other is a celebration of the lives of those who have been willing to sacrifice all, but who have survived and recognition of both their service in the Armed Forces and the role the continue(d) to play in our lives afterwards.
    And so, on this day I say these are NOT Forgotten:   
General Order No. 11
Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic
Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868
I. The 30th day of May, 1868, is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.

We are organized, comrades, as our regulations tell us, for the purpose, among other things, ?of preserving and strengthening those kind and fraternal feelings which have bound together the soldiers, sailors, and marines who united to suppress the late rebellion.? What can aid more to assure this result than by cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foe? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their death a tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the Nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and found mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice of neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of free and undivided republic.

If other eyes grow dull and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us.

Let us, then, at the time appointed, gather around their sacred remains and garland the passionless mounds above them with choicest flowers of springtime; let us raise above them the dear old flag they saved from dishonor; let us in this solemn presence renew our pledges to aid and assist those whom they have left among us as sacred charges upon the Nation?s gratitude, ? the soldier?s and sailor?s widow and orphan.

II. It is the purpose of the Commander-in-Chief to inaugurate this observance with the hope it will be kept up from year to year, while a survivor of the war remains to honor the memory of his departed comrades. He earnestly desires the public press to call attention to this Order, and lend its friendly aid in bringing it to the notice of comrades in all parts of the country in time for simultaneous compliance therewith.

III. Department commanders will use every effort to make this order effective

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries.php

Please Register or Login

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/historic2.htm

In the words of the Gettysburg Address:

......But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97016.html#msg97016

There are 24 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

0715_arlington.jpg
1helmets2.jpg
Arizona 6.jpg
Arizona 7.jpg
Arizona 8.jpg
Boerne.jpg
Gilbert Island.jpg
PunchBowl 10.jpg
PunchBowl 11.jpg
PunchBowl 12.jpg
PunchBowl 13.jpg
PunchBowl 14.jpg
PunchBowl 15.jpg
PunchBowl 3.jpg
PunchBowl 4.jpg
PunchBowl 5.jpg
PunchBowl 6.jpg
PunchBowl 7.jpg
PunchBowl 8.jpg
PunchBowl 9.jpg
iwojima.jpg
korea1950cemetery_a.jpg
memorial.jpg
vietnam_memorial.jpg

Offline Dayhiker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT, Bullseye II Pinpointer
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 07:50:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Amen.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97056.html#msg97056

Dayhiker

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:00:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for posting this BA

The picture of stone with UNKNOWN on it just tear's me up.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97057.html#msg97057

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 09:10:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great post BA.

Thank you to all those who served in the past and to those that are serving now. Without you we would have no country.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97060.html#msg97060

Offline Spooky
Bronze Member

Proud Rhodesian
Thank you3

Activity
0%

1110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's DFX, MXT, Fisher F5, BH SS2
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 12:51:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Outstanding sir..

Good post.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97110.html#msg97110

"Gimme foo, gimme fah, gimme Jabajabajabbah!!"

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:45:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Clapp Clapp Clapp Clapp

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97294.html#msg97294

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline toleary34
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

BA thank you very very much for such a post....I watched a lot of good friends die around me, fighting for what they believed in and I have friends alive today that are still here because another buddy of mine layed down their life to save or protect them.  There are two Medal of Honor winners from the war in Iraq that I know of so far.  One of them was a friend of mine named Jason Dunham.  He jumped on hand grenade to save his Marines.  I had served with him in the same battalion and he went to another battalion before they deployed to Iraq.  I had just gotten done fighting in Fallujah Iraq in April of 2004 when a couple of my buddy's had been wounded in a fire fight we had gotten into.  they were in the same hospital as Jason and he later died.  We went back up North to central Iraq and i will  never forget the news of him after they returned back to fight with our unit once again. i live for those friends i lost....they gave me the gift of knowing them and fighting next to them in heavy combat, and I will never ever forget that.  They are some of my heros and I will forever cherish their friendship.  Thank you very much for your post BA.  thank you very much.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15139.msg97543.html#msg97543

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: