[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline VolNation
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500/Minelab Sov
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 07:19:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
The Rebs should never have picked that fight. That's all there is to it.

Sorry, but your assumption that the Reb's picked that fight shows a innate misunderstanding of Historical fact. I will agree that many Southerners pushed war, but just as many Northerners did. The Constitution of the United States being the law of the land, true scholars of this document realize that the South was indeed defending its citizens from oppression of their rights under that missive. One could easily say that the North picked a fight rather than trying to change the Constitution via Amendment. Sorry, but that's not " all there is to it".

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg55287.html#msg55287

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:01:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by VolNation
Sorry, but your assumption that the Reb's picked that fight shows a innate misunderstanding of Historical fact. I will agree that many Southerners pushed war, but just as many Northerners did. The Constitution of the United States being the law of the land, true scholars of this document realize that the South was indeed defending its citizens from oppression of their rights under that missive. One could easily say that the North picked a fight rather than trying to change the Constitution via Amendment. Sorry, but that's not " all there is to it".

That is not what I said, it is for sure the Cherokee did not pick any fights, and as for history, I have read a lot of it and can easily see there were a lot of wrong takes in the whole thing, I had family in Texas, Missouri, Michigan and Illinois, during the Civil War, on both sides. So I have to take a neutral view which I feel few people do, even yet today. The Cherokee did not get as good a deal as the prisoners in Guantanamo, at least they get 3 squares and a prayer rug.

It was GoldDigger1950 that made the remark about picking fights, so please do not fly off the handle at me. Thank you.

In retrospect, one can find and assign blame anywhere, but why do that? Do some history reading from the Cherokee aspect of the pre, and post Civil War, it might surprise you.

I went back and looked at your posting again and I SEE it was addressed to GoldDigger1950, so I f I yelled you..... sorry.

I am just so used to people mistaking the two of us!

goldigger (little g, one d)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg55829.html#msg55829

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:04:38 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline VolNation
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500/Minelab Sov
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldigger
That is not what I said, it is for sure the Cherokee did not pick any fights, and as for history, I have read a lot of it and can easily see there were a lot of wrong takes in the whole thing, I had family in Texas, Missouri, Michigan and Illinois, during the Civil War, on both sides. So I have to take a neutral view which I feel few people do, even yet today. The Cherokee did not get as good a deal as the prisoners in Guantanamo, at least they get 3 squares and a prayer rug.

It was GoldDigger1950 that made the remark about picking fights, so please do not fly off the handle at me. Thank you.

In retrospect, one can find and assign blame anywhere, but why do that? Do some history reading from the Cherokee aspect of the pre, and post Civil War, it might surprise you.

I went back and looked at your posting again and I SEE it was addressed to GoldDigger1950, so I f I yelled you..... sorry.

I am just so used to people mistaking the two of us!

goldigger (little g, one d)

It's OK. you are absolutely right, it is definitely not what you said.  Smiley I am a huge Civil War buff and I am well versed in the history of the proud Cherokee Nation, as I am sure you are. I guess you could say I am a Crockett man, not a Jacksonian. Smiley The actions of the state of Georgia against the Cherokee pre war are well documented. The actions of Tennessee against the Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Creek leading to the Trail of Tears is one of shame. The reality is only one Native American ever held the rank of General, and that was in the Confederate Army. General Watie and the Cherokee allied themselves with the Confederates on a matter of technicality (or so I have read). The Cherokee leadership certainly had no real love for the Southerners, especially after the previous actions of the South prior to the war, but the Confederacy had never broken a treaty with them. The Federal Government had in fact broken every treaty ever written between itself and the Cherokee nation. The tribal leadership accepted the Southern proposal of a large Indian nation comprising half of Arkansas, all of Oklahoma and parts of Northern Texas. Unfortunately they picked the losing side and lost all holdings in Arkansas after the war. Heck, tons of land in Oklahoma as stolen when Oil was discovered. Yeah, a raw deal indeed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg55846.html#msg55846

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It's OK. you are absolutely right, it is definitely not what you said.  Smiley I am a huge Civil War buff and I am well versed in the history of the proud Cherokee Nation, as I am sure you are. I guess you could say I am a Crockett man, not a Jacksonian. Smiley The actions of the state of Georgia against the Cherokee pre war are well documented. The actions of Tennessee against the Cherokee, Chickasaw, and Creek leading to the Trail of Tears is one of shame. The reality is only one Native American ever held the rank of General, and that was in the Confederate Army. General Watie and the Cherokee allied themselves with the Confederates on a matter of technicality (or so I have read). The Cherokee leadership certainly had no real love for the Southerners, especially after the previous actions of the South prior to the war, but the Confederacy had never broken a treaty with them. The Federal Government had in fact broken every treaty ever written between itself and the Cherokee nation. The tribal leadership accepted the Southern proposal of a large Indian nation comprising half of Arkansas, all of Oklahoma and parts of Northern Texas. Unfortunately they picked the losing side and lost all holdings in Arkansas after the war. Heck, tons of land in Oklahoma as stolen when Oil was discovered. Yeah, a raw deal indeed.

Interesting! I never heard about the Cherokee general, although the name, Watie, is familiar.... It has been a lot of years since I studied this, when I was looking for any kind of data to do some genealogical searching. It certainly opened my eyes, as to why a certain part of my family tree, acted and spoke, as they did.

The research never resolved anything.... just brought more questions to bear on some of my OTHER ancestors!

For instance, I have a cousin in Texas (another branch of the tree,) that took her family information into court and got a court declaration that she is, indeed, a Cherokee by legal definition. In Canada the status would only be M?tis.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg56251.html#msg56251

goldigger

Offline VolNation
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

GTI 2500/Minelab Sov
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 07:14:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I forget what percentage you have to be to receive tribal recognition, but if a court said so it is sorta a moot point right. Look for Stand Watie, the only Native American to attain the rank of General in a American Army. The Confederate Cherokees of the Cherokee rifles under Stand Watie were the last Confederates to surrender.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg56292.html#msg56292

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 04:24:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I forget what percentage you have to be to receive tribal recognition, but if a court said so it is sorta a moot point right. Look for Stand Watie, the only Native American to attain the rank of General in a American Army. The Confederate Cherokees of the Cherokee rifles under Stand Watie were the last Confederates to surrender.

I will check it out... like I said, I knew the name but never heard of the rank, before.

Something I always found curious, my maternal grandpa,s family had some Cherokee customs such as taking in a poor person, not necessarily related, and calling them cousin. My great grand parents, on that side, had a *cousin,* called Betsy Payton, which they guested... does that name sound familiar to you?

As far as the court would consider, since I have no documented material, unlike my cousin, is that I am M?tis, since without documents, I can self-identify, in Canada. Blood quanta is not legal, in Canada.

She had documents to show her grandfather was full Cherokee and loads of affidavits from Cherokee relatives. While, in my mothers family, it was hidden out of fear over removal, so it became the habit  to deny, deny, deny. Why, did you know, my great grandma was Spanish (or was it Mexican?)  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg56522.html#msg56522

« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 04:26:09 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline raterry
Copper Member

A lot of ground to cover
Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

215.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Tesoro Compadre, Tejon, Fisher CZ3D, Garrett Master Hunter
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 11:49:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello again, let me say that on both sides of the war, they men and women on both sides were of a tougher nature. On my father's side of the family, I have ancestors that fought on both sides of the civil war. In one case it was brother against brother. And in one part o the family tree, when Alabama succeeded from the Union, a lot of people in Winston county decided not only to succeed from the union, but to succeed from the state of Alabama itself. Hard people indeed.

RT

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6113.msg71657.html#msg71657

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: