[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline seldomTopic starter
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 09:03:07 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have only read 100 tons of gold and if memory is correct it is more a conspiracy theory then a treasure book.

OR MORE INFORMATION: Three books have been published on Victorio Peak and it is easy to tell one from another. They all refer to the peak by a different name. The first is The Curse of the San Andres by Henry James. This book was published in 1953 and may still be available. He calls the peak Soledad.

The second book is 100 Tons of Gold by David Chandler. This was written right after Operation Goldfinder and is noted for Chandler?s gullibility. He seems to swallow whatever claimants tell him, hook, line and sinker. And he shows some paranoia by having the Army steal the gold about four different times. Just can?t get it right, I guess. He calls the peak Victorio and his book is probably out of print.

The third book is Treasure of Victoria Peak by Phil Koury. Koury was once Ova Noss? lawyer and his book went on sale in 1986. It is still available and was being sold by the Ova Noss Family Partnership in January. The title tells you what Koury calls the peak.

Why did F Lee Bailey get involved ? He had to have some proof. 

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70687.html#msg70687

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 04:26:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Seldom I agree on the validity of the claim being suspect, it was just the actual tunnel pictures that caught my eye. That said there are many caves in the world and wood ladders arent hard to make.... it just was interesting.

Hardluck I agree as well. I think Ova never went there because if she did and it wasnt at Victorio why try to go back there after it was encompased by the base? Perhaps all one big ruse. Dunno but sure is fun to look!  Grin

BA after rereading the thread, I just scanned it the first time as well, it sounds like there are several groups all on top of that spot and not one seems to have gold to show as of yet. I have to agree with Seldom that site has some questionable characters with different agendas. Welcome to treasure hunting.... Cheesy
While it seems the poster is being pretty up front with his info, location, and pictures, it could be just a case of mistaken locality. It does fit the discription from the story though. A convoluted mess this tale   Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70765.html#msg70765

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 11:19:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

I suppose a question would come to mind why would somebody write Doc Noss dead 1949 In a shaft in the first place?Huh??

It does not make any sense.

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70807.html#msg70807

Offline Idaho Jones
Gold Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

7930.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 11:32:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I wondered that too, the writing did not look to have the patina it should after 60 or 70 years in my opinion. Since it seems there are 3 or 4 groups with claim and counter claim perhaps we will hear something someday. Or it will be tied up in court for the next 50 years  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70809.html#msg70809

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 01:44:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I just ordered Treasure of Victoria Peak by Phil Koury. which I am sure is just more bull.  Also just found a copy of The Curse of the San Andres by Henry James. for sale think I will get it also. But will check the library first.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70905.html#msg70905

Offline hardluck
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 02:54:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello all

There was a group several years ago being put together to lobby permission to search Victorio Peak. Some one claimed to have some exclusive information through lawyer acting on behalf of the Noss family.

He was calling for anyone interested in being part of the group to meet. I do not know what become of them, a lot of huffing and puffing and I'm goner...But nothing was heard from them.

I do not now if they were part of the Florida group?

Hardluck  Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70922.html#msg70922

Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Executive Order 6102 required U.S. citizens to deliver on or before May 1, 1933 all but a small amount gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates owned by them to the Federal Reserve, in exchange for $20.67 per troy ounce. Under the Trading With the Enemy Act of October 6, 1917, as amended on March 9, 1933, violation of the order was punishable by fine up to $10,000 ($166,640 if adjusted for inflation as of 2008) or up to ten years in prison, or both.

Order 6102 specifically exempted "customary use in industry, profession or art"--a provision that covered artists, jewelers, dentists, and sign makers among others. The order further permitted any person to own up to $100 in gold coins ($1,664 if adjusted for inflation as of 2008; a face value equivalent to five troy ounces of Gold valued at $4800 as of 2009).

The reason I pointed this out is why would anyone move and try to sale bars of gold if there were coins. Having a few coins  you could get away with. Getting caught with one bar was jail time.

The Fl base company we keep hearing about is
Expeditions Unlimited Aquatic
30 Ne 28Th Ave
Pompano Beach, FL 33062
(Broward County)

No were is treasure mentioned in their portfolio.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg70946.html#msg70946

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:52:32 pm by seldom »

Offline BerntOut
Copper Member

Life is Good!
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

455.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 09:19:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've been to Victorio Peak/Hembrillo Canyon (which holds some of the best Petroglyphs I have ever seen) many times. They do not use the area for live fire/testing, never have. Victorio Peak is located within the boundaries of the White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) "buffer zone"and some kind of Wildlife Preserve or study area on the west side San Andreas Mountains. WSMR is on the East Side of the San Andreas Mountains. They have Security Patrols in the area but the many times I have been there I have never run into them. The gates were never locked though I hear they are now. I also here there are probably more patrols and might even have sensors placed on the site! Only the powers at WSMR know,
The area is host to HUGE Desert Mule Deer and many Mountain Lions, coyotes, fox and sorted other critters and is closed to hunting. It is a beautiful mostly pristine part of New New Mexico. Victorio Peak is all cut up and looks like a bombing range in itself! So many people have torn up that Peak looking for the gold that probably is not there! Not sure if it ever was. I do believe there is a huge cache of dore bars in the Caballo Mountains about 75 miles north of Victorio Peak, see Tessoro del Alma on this forum or the internet.
I get so weary of people and their "research" of the area and all the bullcrap that goes with it. Get the facts straight before you look like a fool and post it here.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg71953.html#msg71953

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:27:47 pm by BerntOut »
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

What are you talking about seems the only one making a fool of their self is you.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg71954.html#msg71954

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 11:26:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I figure if the worst error I made on January 22nd was to say "the odds of us finding out for sure are somewhere between slim and none since it is very deep within a highly restricted government facility which is used for live fire testing/training (so anyone who thinks they could probably slip in and slip out without being found out should think again)" it had to have been a pretty good day.  Especially when you consider that the reason White Sands Missile Range was established and exists is for live fire testing and training of missile and rocket systems.   AND the reason why there has to be a buffer zone is because a) our launches haven't always gone exactly as planned and b) to provide security for the portion of the range where active testing occurs. Smiley 

Since I haven't been to Victoria Peak and have no intention of ever going there, I've got nothing to  base my original statement on except the facts stated in the above paragraph, the histories of WSMR that I've read from the time of Goddard on, and what my brother has shared with me from his time as in EOD at Alamogordo Air Force Base and WSMR .    I'll happily concede the accessibility issues to BerntOut.

I'd be very interested in hearing why BernOut believes "there is a huge cache of dore bars in the Caballo Mountains about 75 miles north of Victorio Peak"......especially since the full string of this discussion shows that we are actively considering alternative sources for the gold Noss claimed to have found at Victoria Peak.

Besides at this point, this whole discussion has been an exploration of the legend rather than an effort to find the gold.  If BernOut or anyone else has facts (or even theories) they'd like to share, I would like to hear them.  Otherwise, I'm perfectly OK with their not wasting time reading this thread.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,4190.msg71966.html#msg71966

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
Jump to: