[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Mike KTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

mxt
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Does anyone have any info of Danville Va.? I am looking for Civil War Campsites  close to or in Danville Va. Thank you

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114052.html#msg114052

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Go here and have a look around. Something there will be helpful to you. I guarantee it.

Please Register or Login

http://www.davidrumsey.com/

For example:

Please Register or Login

http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/detail/RUMSEY~8~1~26903~1100202

Use the Export feature and save it with the highest resolution they offer. It's free and very helpful for beginning any research. There are also lots of books written about battles of the US Civil War. Watch for them at garage sales or thrift shops. You'll strike it lucky one day and find a really good resource.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114238.html#msg114238

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

mxt
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 05:15:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks, I have bougth 4 books on Danville Va. See there where no wars close by that I know of.  But it was the last Confederate Capital. So there had to be so camps some where. There was one at the train depot, thats is the only one that has been comfirmed by what i have read. I heard there was one at Ballou Park but have not found proof in books yet.
The books i have are Danville 1887  by Clara G.Fountain, Danville Virginia post card history series by Clara Garrett Fountain, Danville images of America by Todd McGregor Yeatts, Confederate Treasure in Danville by J. Frank Carroll, Pittsylvania County Virginia by Larry G. Aaron. If there are any books someone may have that I don have please post the name so i can find a issue.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114717.html#msg114717

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 04:15:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Mike, don't say "thanks but I have . . ." or anything like that. If you had what you needed, you wouldn't have come here asking. Go to those map site links I gave you. Compare those maps from the Civil War era to modern maps. Look around on modern topographical maps or Google Earth and see where Confederate troops would have had water and a high, dry camp site. Maps are the answer to what you are looking for, not books.

Camping as a Boy Scout teaches you to find water and high ground. Add the extra security of needing watch posts for guards at the camp and it should give you an idea of what a military camp site would need.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114808.html#msg114808

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

mxt
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 08:48:18 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950  I was saying Thank you, There were no buts, I am glad you gave me the info you did Smiley As for the books, I tried to do as you said, look for civil war era books. And i found some local history on the Town i live in, In the 4 books  that i bought, I just posted what i bought, To show that i am interested. Maybe i miss understood you, if i did i'm sorry. And I am using the map link. Also the reason i reply to the post was to let you know that your comment was heard and appreciated.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114828.html#msg114828

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 03:35:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Mike K
GoldDigger1950  I was saying Thank you, There were no buts, I am glad you gave me the info you did Smiley As for the books, I tried to do as you said, look for civil war era books. And i found some local history on the Town i live in, In the 4 books  that i bought, I just posted what i bought, To show that i am interested. Maybe i miss understood you, if i did i'm sorry. And I am using the map link. Also the reason i reply to the post was to let you know that your comment was heard and appreciated.

No, mate, it's me who misunderstood. I just have found so much using old maps that I rarely look elsewhere. Unlike books, which can contain a lot of misleading or downright false information, maps have always been made to be as accurate as possible. Always. A mistake on a map could end a map maker's career on the spot. Some hand drawn maps leave a lot to be desired but the old ones that come from the map makers of the day are studded with possible leads to treasure and even the person making the map was unaware of it.

Comparing antique maps to new maps is the key to success. Download those old maps and compare them to Google Maps images to see which areas are public lands and which are now dotted with houses. Who knows? Perhaps even your own home is on an old campground. Those maps on line are great but your local historical society has no doubt got many more. Use a 12 megapixel camera and take some good quality images of them which does two things. It preserves them digitally and it allows you to look closer as you examine the map on your computer. It's a win win situation if you join the historical society.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg114869.html#msg114869

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline amyjo
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 11:06:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

AWESOME GD!! Again I am on the same page with you. Your reply/post prompted me to go through the research and bookmarks I have created in my past year or so of research(on this machine). I have many maps to compare.  Smiley

Mike I am in search of the same thing in part, but in Missouri. I have found written diary entries online of bushwackers camping on the banks of the creek I am searching. I have also found accounts of military units sent to flush out such rebels. So I am looking for any and all of their campsites. In thinking about possible places I am thinking near Springs, down in valleys, with high hills/bluffs for look outs. I am also looking at old stage coach and railroad routes in relation as well. I have found a LOT of info anline. It just takes time to sort through the rubbage. Good luck with your search.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg142736.html#msg142736

Offline Cadmus Wilcox
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Blisstool
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:57:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Had that site before and lost it when I converted over to a Mac... thanks for posting it. The maps are very good and if you overlay them on updated maps you can find private property to reach out and get permission to hunt on. Thanks again.

Posted on: February 26, 2013, 07:42:31 PM
Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
I just have found so much using old maps that I rarely look elsewhere. Unlike books, which can contain a lot of misleading or downright false information, maps have always been made to be as accurate as possible.

I couldn't agree more with the maps vs. text. Rare to see a map mistake, but you do occasionally. I think that the site you posted is one that just makes digging relics a little easier. Of course, still need to get landowner permission and follow all of the other good conduct rules so that you don't put a damper on the situation.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17749.msg252263.html#msg252263

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: