[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline BugarTopic starter
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« on: February 12, 2009, 12:12:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene52=since you are the MAN on the detector electronics, I have a question, probly some other folk would like to know about too.
Allright ,some detectors-take Nautilus for instance, they have coil problems from time to time, and a detectorist has to send it to the factory for re-tuning,  the freq on these detectors is 14,  the same as on some models of whites, the whites has a large variety of sizes and types, the same for some other machines that have sometimes the same freq or very close, within .50 of a freq, say detector pro and some fishers, or tecknetics and i think some fishers,  allright what i'm wondering, since i am told the coils cannot be interchanged between makes- WHY???, for instance the whites coil dosen't have problems, the Nauty does, be nice if they would interchange,  is this due to the design of the  circuit, or is it just in the  wiring at the box, just would like to know,  you know electronics, and i know glass art, I know very little of electronics, not even enough to get myself in trouble, so I leave it alone, splice a wire or re-solder something, that's it= sooo, I' askin somebody that KNOWS,
Thankya  Pard,
Bugar Detecting

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg23972.html#msg23972

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline Eugene52
M.D. Electronic Builders Club
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 02:19:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Bugar
Eugene52=since you are the MAN on the detector electronics, I have a question, probly some other folk would like to know about too.
Allright ,some detectors-take Nautilus for instance, they have coil problems from time to time, and a detectorist has to send it to the factory for re-tuning,  the freq on these detectors is 14,  the same as on some models of whites, the whites has a large variety of sizes and types, the same for some other machines that have sometimes the same freq or very close, within .50 of a freq, say detector pro and some fishers, or tecknetics and i think some fishers,  allright what i'm wondering, since i am told the coils cannot be interchanged between makes- WHY???, for instance the whites coil dosen't have problems, the Nauty does, be nice if they would interchange,  is this due to the design of the  circuit, or is it just in the  wiring at the box, just would like to know,  you know electronics, and i know glass art, I know very little of electronics, not even enough to get myself in trouble, so I leave it alone, splice a wire or re-solder something, that's it= sooo, I' askin somebody that KNOWS,
Thankya  Pard,
Bugar Detecting

The Nautilus are great Relic machines made by a company called Tyndall Electronics . The circuit boards inside the metal Detector are good , but the problem is the way the search coil is designed !! It is not very shock proof . So what they did is put two adjustable resistors inside the metal detector to compensate for Search-coil balance changes due to shock . If your very rough on your search coil , like slamming it on the ground , you are going to have problems . So when it gets sent to the factory they open the case and re-tune it . If your Nautilus metal Detector is past the 2 year warranty just do it your self !!! See the image I posted :   

In answer to your other question . Before you start finding a Replacement search-coil , You need to first check your search coil for DC resistances . You might have 4 or 5 pin connector plug  . One pin is usually ground or shield and 2  pins are for the transmit coil . And the two left over pins are for the Recieve coil. Post your ohmeter readings here if you like !! A search-coil can be substituted if its resonance closely matches your metal detector and it contains no circuit board inside. There is a slight possibility a Whites Matrix 14 khz or Tesoro 14 khz cibola,vaquero coil might work , But no promises !!! Untill you post clear photos of your search coil here on this forum !!! ........I hope this helped you a little bit !.........Let us know what you plan to do.........Take care and have a Great Day............Eugene52

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg23989.html#msg23989

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Nautilus_%20feedback_method.jpg

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline BugarTopic starter
Silver Member

IF IT BEEPS=DIGIT
Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
United States

505.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Scorpion,Garrett Master Hunter,And Garrett Scorpion #2
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And a  BIG  thank you,  I have tried to get a decent answer from several sources, and none made sense to me( even tho I don't know much about this), this was a very good explanation, removed the fog.
I no longer have the Nauty because of the aggravation, was a fine detector, BUT, just a few things i didn' like, the coil was one of them,  thank you very much, greatly appreciated.  Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg23999.html#msg23999

If It Beeps=DIGIT

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 05:20:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Since the topic here seems to be search coils maybe someone can answer a question for me.
Im in the process of building a ROV and am wanting to mount a detector coil to it and have the actual detector in the control box for the ROV which means I would have to extend the cable to about 35 feet long will it still work or will the signal loss be to great with that long a cable?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24009.html#msg24009

Offline Eugene52
Gold Member

Mood:Happy
Happy

Thank you398

Activity
0%
Male
United States

17957.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Teknetics , Fisher , Discovery3300 and TIANXUN 19 kHz VLF Metal Detector
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 05:31:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Datasteve
Since the topic here seems to be search coils maybe someone can answer a question for me.
Im in the process of building a ROV and am wanting to mount a detector coil to it and have the actual detector in the control box for the ROV which means I would have to extend the cable to about 35 feet long will it still work or will the signal loss be to great with that long a cable?

Hello Datasteve , 35 feet away might be "very possible" . What type of detector are you planning to use a P.I. , pulse induction or a VLF , very low frequency ? Let us know and we will give you some suggestions to try !!....................... Waveing.............Eugene52

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24013.html#msg24013

Let's Talk Treasure right here on Thunting.com

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was hoping to use the cheepest possible detector so if it don't work I haven't destroyed a good detector. So it will probally be a VLF.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24425.html#msg24425

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 03:53:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you mount the detector and the coil to close to metal ( camera etc ) the contraption does not work anymore .  Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24426.html#msg24426

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 04:23:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The camera and everything else will be mounted inside a PVC tube that is enclosed and water tight the detector coil would be mounted outside but the wire would probally be run back inside the tube to join all the other wires going up to the control box.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24430.html#msg24430

Offline Cornelius
Silver Member

marching to the beat of a different drummer
Thank you33

Activity
0%

Netherlands

4895.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 04:28:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You are not dealing with currents here but with frequencies . Give it a second thought !    Cornelius

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24431.html#msg24431

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 04:56:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If I put the wires inside shrink tube before I run them back through the tube shouldn't that take care of the frequency issue?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg24438.html#msg24438

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: