[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline moonshadow
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

I was just thinking about the state of the sea bed, it is not always going to be flat sand and therefore the ROV may not be so close to the bottom. In which case you may need more sensitivity than you can get with a 'detector on a stick' type system and have to move to a 'twin box' approach which would require two coils for a PI system separated by at least one metre. That should give you a detector depth of about three feet for a coke can sized object, five feet for a gallon can, seven feet for a two gallon can and up to 20 feet for a car.  On the negative side it will be insensitive to small objects such as a single coin or a ring pull. It does have the advantage that the metal mass of the ROV between the coils is not going to screw up operation.

On a practical note, ROV's cannot stop instantly, so unless the target is really large, it will be detected and past before the human operator can analyse the signal. For that reason I think I would include an SD card data logger so that target acquisition can be 'played back'. I might also do some experiments to see what colour LED's show up best against different sea beds .... with the thought that one could fit the ROV with a  blinking LED marker dispenser. The ROV could then automatically mark the target on the sea bed ..... on the fly.

I am thinking that the LED could be made to blink at 5 kHz. That would allow electronic acquisition of the marker under water and it's direction. Sounds like an interesting project !.

jk

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg33042.html#msg33042

Offline Datasteve
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

345.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

MP3
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 04:28:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I was thinking about lakes where there were a lot of swimmers that could loose jewlery

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg33239.html#msg33239

Offline moonshadow
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

130.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Garrett ACE 250
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 03:47:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Why not, it is people who loses money and jewelry. The trick is to search where-ever people used to go.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,3436.msg33257.html#msg33257

Print
Pages:  1 2 3    Go Up
Jump to: