[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline brucewayneTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Bounty Hunter 840
« on: November 30, 2010, 10:49:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Need to repair my 840 and looking for a good drawing for the detector.  Found a drawing on another forum but can't make out the transistors numbers on the drawing.  Looks like it is the right drawing.  The Bounty Hunter PCB number is 037.  Looked at the numbers on the PCB parts and some are missing.  Has some type of black module circuit for the tuner stage which looks like 3140 on the drawing but module has no numbers.  This is a vintage detector and was wondering if some other old Bounty Hunter drawing be simular.  IE Red Baron which I think was made about the same time.

Thanks for your time

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg129175.html#msg129175

Offline conan
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 11:27:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello do you still have the B.H 840 if you do there where two models one with the analog meter and one with out.They have a very simple circuit.Very hard for anything to go wrong in your case you did not say what was wrong,but having the two nine volt batteries there is no problem in replacing battery holders like the Red Barons with the twin 12 volt packs that break on the edges and people replace them but they don't fit like the original ones and then people connect other configurations that only cause problems and so on.There are only a couple of front line culprits that could be shorted the 3140 and 393 and LM358N a few diodes then the transistors  6521and 6528 or (6523) an a Darlington one MPSA13 if you follow that order usually depending of the cause it's the I.C'S or the Diodes first.It sounds strange that you can't see the numbers on yours unless someone has taken them out.Before you touch or desolder any transistor or I.C look with a magnifying glass right up to your eye and normally you see the numbers or at least the first or last ones.If you can and still have it post a pick of the board. Detecting Here is a diagram that might be very close to guide you. Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg133394.html#msg133394

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

840.jpg

Offline brucewayneTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Bounty Hunter 840
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 09:10:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It is a automatic 840 with analog meter.

The problem is with continues sound.  If I lift the 39K resistor on the pin 7 of the 393 IC the sound goes away.  My PCB does not have the 1K resistor on the output of pin 7 of 393 to + voltage. 

All the tuning know have no effect on the continues sound.

Look at the attachment of the PCB and the Module in the center which appears to be the 3140.  Is this a CA3140? 

Problem started out with no voltage to PCB which turned out to be dirty power switch.  Cleaned the switch and now getting around 11.5 volts to the PCB.  Think it should be higher or above 12 V.  Have looked at circuits and have so signals. Might be possible that a bad component might be causing the voltage drop.

This is the second attempt of sending this to you.  Think the attachment might be to large.

Sorry for replying so late. Had put this project on the back burner until I had time to get back to it.

Hope you had a good New Years.

Bruce A

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg136409.html#msg136409

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

840 bounty hunter comp.JPG

Offline conan
Copper Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

Australia

195.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 11:02:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Brucewayne regarding the CA3140 there are two types if you google the number for specifications 1/The metal round type and the plastic rectangle type both do the same purpose regulate power supplies main function.I have not seen the CA3140 in the way you show the photo it must be or must have been replaced in that form.(maybe?)It seems by the size of your board you have the junior small box model.First how many batteries do you have .Normally it came with two nine volt batteries one for the audio and one for the circuit.Second look on the other side of the board where the solder points are on the point where this black blob is ,to determine if is a round metal type or a black I.C type both with eight pins.And see how you go. Violent

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg136424.html#msg136424

There are 3 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Sell_CA3140AT_3,CA3140AT,CA3140,CA3140EZ,BTA41,DH7107GP,CA3140EX,ULN2003AN,ULN2003,CA3086,CA3240_Integrated_Circuits_Manufacturer_exporting_direct_from_China.jpg
ca3140.jpg
current_amplifier_ca3140.jpg

Offline glowingspy
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 11:55:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am having the same issue with my detector. Ween you turn it on it will pegge out the meter and will not do anything. I have check all the pots and they are working.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg259346.html#msg259346

Offline texasred777
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:21:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

I too am having the same problem.  I haven't tried to check anything (yet).  I'm considering sending it for repairs.  If I start changing parts, I may have a lot of retuning to do and not sure that I have the equipment or knowledge to do it.  I used to work on the old tube type radios and tvs; but haven't done so in over 25 years.  All the test equipment that I now have are 3 VOMs.  I called a number on the BH website.  The lady gave me a number to call.  When I called the number, I received a recorded message to leave my name and number for a call back.  That was several days before Christmas and I've heard nothing.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg264859.html#msg264859

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline Toolinsanity
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory
Mac OS X
Mac OS X
Safari 11.0
Safari 11.0

Awards

Whites treasure pro, bounty hunter 840, Bounty hunter sharpshooter two, Garrett pro pointer
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi I’m new to this site and I’m wondering if this issue  was ever resolved. I also have an 840 with the exact same issue. Thank you

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg323745.html#msg323745

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 58.0
Firefox 58.0

Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Welcome to the Forum.   Don't know what ever happened.  Nothing more was ever posted.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg323746.html#msg323746

Offline texasred777
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 01:03:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

I've been 'away' for some time now, but I don't think any answer has been submitted.  I bought another Bounty Hunter 840 from a pawn shop in Louisiana a while back that seems to work ok.  I don't know what the problem is with the other 840 that I have.  My health has deteriorated to the point that I can't really use the detectors anymore.  I have about 6 detectors that I can't use.  I guess I should try to sell them.  I have the Bounty Hunter 840 that doesn't work properly, also one that does work ok.  I also have a Bounty Hunter II D (I don't remember if that's the right name or not), also a couple of newer Bounty Hunter detectors that are the latest models (as of a couple of years ago).  I don't remember just what the models are, but I believe they are the Bounty Hunter IV and another one that is just a bit before it.  One has the 'read outs' and the other one has just the sounds.  If anyone is interested, I will get the models and such.  The latest one, I believe is the model IV.  I bought it from Walmart and it has been used about 20, maybe 30 minutes in my back yard.  The one that hasn't the read out, was a demo in a sporting goods store and was never taken outside.  I bought it and used it for maybe thirty minutes in the back yard.  I'm one oxygen 24/7 now and haven't the energy to kneel and rise enough to use the detectors anymore. 

I don't know just what the problem with the 840 is.  I thought I had it 'fixed', but it began to do the same thing again; so it is not fixed. 

I don't know what else to do but try to sell all of my detectors; well, I may keep the good 840.  My original 840 was purchased in about 1980 or 1981.  It's the one that is having problems.  The one I bought from a pawn shop, online, from Louisiana, is working great.  I'll keep it in case I get better and can use a detector later. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg323753.html#msg323753

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 10.0
Windows NT 10.0
Firefox 58.0
Firefox 58.0

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 08:11:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

The other bounty hunters may be just the Battery Contacts.  They use One battery for the Detection Circuit and the other for the Audio.  Inspect the Batteries contacts for damage and or Crud. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19678.msg323754.html#msg323754

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: