[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Shakin97Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 07, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Does anyone know any "standard" used for building the Double D coil for a IB detector? 
Let's assume about a 10" coil.  I'll be using 24awg enameled wire for construction.
What I'm looking for is what inductance and resistance is typically found on
Double D coils on both the TX and RX on coils roughly this size.  My best
guess from what I've read is about 1mH TX and about 400uH RX.  I'm building
my colpits oscillator and am targeting 15KHz but it is hard to figure out what
the capacitance values are if you don't know the inductance.
Another question I would have is does anyone know roughly what the current
levels are used in these coils???  Is it just limited by battery life or concern about
saturating the receiver?

Thanks!
Rob

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84014.html#msg84014

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 06:11:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

If you are designing this from scratch, the coils must be impedance matched to the frequency of operation of the master oscillator. If you are designing for an existing model, you have to measure that impedance and match it.

The wire size in the coil will determine how much current it can handle. Once you determine that, you calculate your turns based on impedance.

Of course you know that this is a very, very basic description. You need to pick up the book by Ram Publishing called The Totally Revised Modern Metal Detector by Charles Garrett. Be certain to get the 1998 edition. The older one is a waste of time for the cutting edge stuff.

Get a free account for

Please Register or Login

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/
and search for patents on Induction Balance Metal Detectors. There's a wealth of information there with full theory for those in the know. Don't be afraid to use Google to search for more information using the same search terms I just suggested.

Help yourself to all the knowledge out there. Come back when you are ready to teach about what you just queried.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84062.html#msg84062

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:48:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the reply Golddigger.  I'm building one from scratch using various techniques I've observered being used in various IB detector designs.  I'm trying to build one up using primarily Analog Devices components since I work for them.  Just seeing if I can make a successful detector with discriminating capabilities.  I'll check out that book!

Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84110.html#msg84110

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:05:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I've had a bone to pick with Analog ever since they bought Allegro and stopped making their parts. Allegro used to have the most robust parts for motor control ever designed and when Analog bought the company, everything was discontinued. It almost looked more like a mercy killing than an acquisition.

Did you check out the free patent site yet? I don't have much interest in IB machines but the search I did turned up a surprising number of hits.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84179.html#msg84179

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:28:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes, I've actually been inundated by an overload of information and techniques for distinguishing the phase changes in soil.  I was interested in the coil parameters for simulation purposes.  What I've found thus far is a lot of designs are using a single PNP colpitts oscillator (2N2907 or similar) for the TX coil.  If what people are saying is true for their inductance's (somewhere from 5mH to 6 mH) giving about 20 ohms of resistance give or take 5 ohms depending on AWG of the enameled wire, I'm seeing the current swing can not be more than +/- 100mA through the coil, most of the older designs like the TGSL come out to less than that.  That took me by surprise.  I was expecting the current was going to be higher to generate a larger field, but maybe that's not necessary???

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84305.html#msg84305

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I don't think that current in the coil matters much. Unlike an antenna being used to send the signal as far as it can, the soil limits the depth the field can penetrate so there isn't much sense to going higher. The resistance, important to overall circuit function, is not a design function but a result of the impedance design of the coil. In other words, you select the coil impedance to match your circuit oscillator and determine wire size, coil size and windings based on all of those factors. The end result is a coil that is ready for the oscillator circuit with a resistance that can be measured. Using a standard formula for power, the output should not exceed 200mw in the USA. That's the law unless you have a license to transmit higher.

As it turns out, that value is nearly perfect for metal detector design in soil conditions anyway. There's just nothing to be gained from going higher and the reason brings us to soil geology. The nutrients, plant matter, insect matter, moisture and mineralization of soil limit how far a signal can penetrate. The physics of it all is discussed in a few of the patents but only obliquely. Sand is less of an issue but the silica in the sand and in the soil has a tendency to be coated with water making it an audio frequency absorption substance. The earth is against us, mate, but we make do.

All these things are the reason that we have several dozens of manufacturers with perhaps hundreds (if not thousands) of models of metal detector out there. Each believes they have the best design and aren't afraid to tell you about it.

Getting back to your coil, have you already got the machine that this coil will be using? If not, design the machine first with a single loop coil for simplicity and add the Double D designed to match your circuit parameters later. Naturally, when building it you allow for both coil types to be used.

In actual practice, the transmit coil develops a momentary field which has both an electrical and magnetic component. That field must be transmitted to a metal object or be absorbed in the soil. We don't want it to reflect back from the soil so absorption is important. When it strikes metal, the field enters the metal if it is ferrous and builds up on the surface if it is non-ferrous. Both result in a flux field being set up which in effect becomes a miniature transmitter coil sending a signal back to the receiver coils (or coil). The alignment of the target field in relationship to the transmitted field is the best way to analyze your target composition. But that's another topic.

I'll bet you never thought coil design could be so complicated. The trouble for us engineer types is we like to work it out on paper before we try it. The folks who start out buying wire and building a coil winder get good results sometimes without ever touching paper. This discussion will put those guys to sleep while firing up our neurons. Have fun, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84336.html#msg84336

Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I think I'll twist me up a DD coil and just see what is does based on the Eclipse DD coil.  Found spec's of that coil on the Geotech website.  678uH TX with a whopping 14.19mH Rx.  That's gonna be a S*#t load of turns.... 

In order to design the receiver circuit properly, I need to see what really is coming into the receiver. (eg.. phase noise, distortion, etc..)  Since this is going to be (Hopefully) a fairly simple design, based on ADI parts, I think I've already found my receiver front end components.  I'm thinking the AD8599(it's a dual) running the first stage with a gain of 10 and the 2nd as a buffer.  Then I should be able to pass some current through my coil design and look at the signals I'll be dealing with.  Then of course dealing with GEB and discrimination. 

I'm just playing around and shooting for analog meter deflection based on the phase relationship to a properly balanced detector.  Hopefully it will stay simple enough others can give it a go if they chose.  If nothing else, it will be fun.    Grin

Not bad on the first half.  Just trying to be "close" to whites Eclipse 6X10 DD coil (678uH, 3.5Ohm tx  14.19mH, 54.6Ohm Rx) I ended up with 761uH, 1.6Ohm.  I think it was 30 turns, give or take a turn.  I think I lost count on a turn..  hehehe  Anyway a turn or two less will park it just about right. 

How to make the coils.............   Idea

Every office has a coffee maker.  This one is just about right.  195mm diameter should do the trick, or close enough anyway...  I'll form these circular coils to the DD design once I get the second one done.  All I had to do was take the handles and bottom off.  Made a decent form, just had to wait for coworkers to go home first.   Grin

More to follow...

Rob

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84399.html#msg84399

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

040910_20031.jpg
040910_20341.jpg

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 10:27:21 pm by Shakin97 »
Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Shakin97

Would you mind sending me that LC meter when you done with it  Grin

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg84817.html#msg84817

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 12:53:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Wow.  These DD coils are TOUCHY.  Move them just a hair and you are no where near the null.  I'm still not sold that the DD coil performs all that well for depth(air testing).  I find a good null, based on the LC match for resonance at my RX coil(Fr=1/2pi*Sqrt(LC)) and monitoring the rx coil after common base amplifier stage followed by an emitter follower.  I can definitely see the phase & magnitude change with respect to the TX oscillator on an oscilloscope, but once a US quarter is more than about 3 inches away I can no longer see the phase change.   Running more VPP through the tx coil buys you next to nothing.  I don't see any difference between a 10VPP and a 15VPP signal on the TX coil.  Is this normal??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg85634.html#msg85634

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't forget that you might be missing the phase current changes which are not detectable using a scope. I usually clip a 10 meg (or greater) resistor to ground on the measurement point to stabilize the adjustments. Remove it when you're done and you can't really get any closer.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13296.msg85636.html#msg85636

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: