[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Shakin97Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 10, 2010, 04:34:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It seems the inductances are all over the map on these DD designs.  I understand the manufacturers will make a series of coils that will work on many of their platform designs, so they are just properly impedance matched. 

My question is more specific since I'm designing my own detector and can impedance match to whatever.  Is there any "rule of thumb" anyone knows about as far as a ratio goes from TX to RX and sensitivity?  Some manufactures have identical RX/TX, some have huge ratios.  My best understanding from magnetics and EMF is the higher the inductance the stronger the field given the same current.  Is this why a lot of the DD coils have inductances in the mH range on the RX side, that is to better receive the currents being coupled?

For instance:
2 identical DD coils perfectly nulled and impedance matched(let's say 1mH each) vs 1 coil (tx) using lower inductance(let's say 500uH) in relation to the RX coil having a higher inductance(let's say 2mH), but yet still perfectly nulled and impedance matched.  Would not the latter be more sensitive to currents?
Which one has the better sensitivity?   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13387.msg84502.html#msg84502

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sensitivity is mostly down to the receiver circuitry including the amplification and signal analysis.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13387.msg84521.html#msg84521

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Engr Obaid
Copper Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%
Male
Pakistan
Referrals: 0

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:10:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dear there many other requirements for the sensitivity related issues  in the metal detectors,
Like the coil size, wire gauge, turns of wire of both coil of TX & RX,
1). At Transmitter end may be your TX coil turns did not mach the transmitter frequency which you are Appling,
I have circuits in which I use 555 IC as audio frequency oscillator then the output was given at one of the transistor base to derive the TX Coil, where variable resistor is used between 555 & Transistor for the adjust of power to the coil, because at maximum power to the coil it is hard to protect the receiver coil from the induction between them, the is also another variable resistor for the frequency adjustment (For proper setting), 555 ic oscillator can be easily found through net,

2). at receiver end proper gain control required, because high sensitivity of preamplifiers can create a lot of adjustments issue, it can be control by using variable resistors in your project,

But in my experience these two coils should be the same size, same wire gauge,
But it would be better to use RX Coil more turns than TX Coil of less gauge wire.

Best Regards,

Engr Obaid   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13387.msg85530.html#msg85530

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: