[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline flamecrusaderTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 05, 2010, 11:38:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello...
I have been asked to make a shadow300 detector..I was wondering are there any search coils that i can make on my own to match the design that I have already downloaded here?Thanks in advance...

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.geotech1.com/pages/metdet/projects/shadow/shadow300.pdf

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg118878.html#msg118878

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:01:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

See this page:

Please Register or Login

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit

The formula for calculating the receiver coil is found with Figure 8. For the transmit coil, use Figure 5. The transistor in the TX circuit affects the outcome but you can ignore its effects because the TX power is very high and when the transistor is going on and off, the resistance is going up and down. Use 16khz as the frequency for your calculations.

Once you solve for the inductance value, you can decide on what kind of wire to use so you can wind your own coil. This electronics stuff may look like it's the same as building a model airplane but it's really not that simple. You don't just put the bits together and they work. In this case, the 1980 article left out the value of each coil and the construction details for the coils. They may have been in a subsequent issue as errata but it's too long ago now to find out.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg118920.html#msg118920

« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:05:16 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline flamecrusaderTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Malaysia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:31:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Uhm...I'm sorry but what is the value of capacitance & resistance for the shadow MD?and how do i calculate the number of turn needed?The only thing that I have is the frequency right? Sorry but I'm actually a bit weak at electronics(and my professor still insists on me making the MD... Embarrassed)...Thanks again...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg119085.html#msg119085

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:34:00 am by flamecrusader »
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:56:02 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by flamecrusader
Uhm...I'm sorry but what is the value of capacitance & resistance for the shadow MD?and how do i calculate the number of turn needed?The only thing that I have is the frequency right? Sorry but I'm actually a bit weak at electronics(and my professor still insists on me making the MD... Embarrassed)...Thanks again...

What course are you taking where your professor insists that you build something of which you are not capable of building?

I gave you a link to all you need. Aside from me doing the math, it's all perfectly presented for you. So here's the deal. You don't need a capacitor or a resistor for making your coil. You need wire. The wire gauge, number of turns in the coil are all something you choose after you calculate the coil's theoretical inductance. The coil's inductance is calculated from the resistance already defined in the circuit, and the capacitance, already defined in the circuit. The configuration of the circuits is different for the Rx and Tx so you have to match the circuits as I told you. Then use the matching formula. Plug in the values and you will have your Rx and Tx coil. It's a math problem.

Now if the problem is that you don't know what the schematic symbols are for the resistors and capacitors and can't read the two circuits in question, then you are in the wrong place and taking the wrong course under the wrong professor.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg119091.html#msg119091

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 04:35:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Grin Go easy on the bloke GD I don't think that he even knows what is inductance and you are bombarding him with the heavy artillery Ouch  Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg119105.html#msg119105

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 05:23:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Well, old buddy, if you want to do the math for him, I'll loan you my slide rule. Remember those? Never need batteries? Last forever in a land fill? Very high precision and 100 times faster in the right hands than a modern Cray computer.

The magazine article is probably incomplete. There are other factors like the coil phase relationship between the Tx and Rx that need to be known. The article is very old and probably the details are lost forever now.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg119111.html#msg119111

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 06:23:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

The slide rule yes I have one but I have yet to master it  Angry They do that with a lot of articles leaving out the coil values or change some of the component values.

@ Flamecrusader

I can hardly believe that your professor would demand that you build a detector where two of the most critical component are missing(three if it has a bucking coil) unless you had the correct mathematical background and electronic knowledge to work it out by your self or he's a psychopath.  Build a BFO it will work a lot better than this  shadow 300 detector and you'll get to find stuff with it.

Regards Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,18350.msg119121.html#msg119121

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: