[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SIMONNTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:14:14 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello together,

I am looking for help to build up coils for a VLF-detector. So, I don't use the a whole metal detector because I use LabVIEW to generate signals. At least I wanna descriminate between different metals by the help of LabVIEW. But this is not my question. My basic set-up is: Signal-generator --> Transmitter coil    -->   receiver coil --> Oscilloscope.

I can't really find electrical propertys for a VLF-Detector coil. Which values of resistence (Ohm) and inductance (Hendry) should be achieved in a transmitter- and a receiver-coil?

In my opinion, the values depend on the resonant frequency and the value of the tuning capacitor. However, I can't calculate the turns of both coils at least...

Another question:
If I create a sinodial signal to the transmitter coil, which signal should be expected from the receiver coil to the oscilloscope?

Thank's for all advices and examples!

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17467.msg112378.html#msg112378

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 04:49:11 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Labview should have formulas for calculating tuned LCR (Inductance/Capacitance/Resistance) circuits based on two fixed values (CR) and one variable (L). You need to know the Fo (Frequency of Operation) for the circuit. Keep your Q as low as you can make it and remember to specify that this is an air core coil.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17467.msg112451.html#msg112451

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:51:26 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thank you! Surely, LabVIW can calculate it. But my problem is the coil. There are so many questions:

- What do you think about 11kHz frequeny? Is that a good point to start?
- Then I can calculate the capacity. But what about the resistance? Shouldn't be the value between 1.8 - 3.0 (Ohm)?
- What do you mean with "Q"?

Thank's for your advice!

Simon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17467.msg112458.html#msg112458

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 04:33:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The 11khz frequency is as good as any other. The resistance in a coil is the result of the wire size and number of turns to achieve the proper inductance. The Q of a circuit is the efficiency. Low Q means high efficiency and is related to very low resistance and a rapid field establishment in a tuned tank circuit - which is what a coil is. Too many turns on a coil mean the field builds up very slowly. This is bad for a metal detector because that field has to collapse quickly and if it takes a long time to build to 100% it will take an equal amount of time to collapse. The longer it takes, the later the receiver coil will be active. The low Q of a receiver coil also means it reacts quickly to fields in the metal underground.

Do you have a technical background or are you trying to learn this all from a forum?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17467.msg112583.html#msg112583

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Germany

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Of corse, I have knowledge to implement the phase shifter (for ground adjust) and the demodulator. I currently build up the whole circuit in LabVIEW but my first coil isn't really good enough for me. Regarding to that, I try to get "better" information here to design a great coil for detecting purposes.
You wrote about inductance. Sorry for that, but nobody answered my question accurately. I also found value's for inductance between 300-400 uH but I think the resistance has also an important influence. That's all what I need. I can calculate the number of turns by myself, but I actually got 5 different approximation formulary...
The problem is this project must be done until the next week. I created the housings and also the complete circuit depending to the frequency...

What I need are checked values about inductance and resistance.

Simon

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,17467.msg112600.html#msg112600

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: