[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 07:14:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Yes, I know about the USB programmers... read the fine print- most of them do not do older chips, and I have some as old as PIC16C54... OTP, I can prove my program on a PIC16F84  and re assemble for the 54s... then zap it. They are good enough for some simple things and when they are used up, I will move up to 16F628s and 84s. If Im not mistaken, the BS1 and 2 have the 54.

The 54 is peculiar and not every programmer will handle it, but there are a number of pre assembled programmers, available.... or I can build one. Just havnt got a round TUIT, yet. (Ever see a round TUIT??)Ive been looking at one programmer, in the UK, it lists the 54,55,56, etc, so when I scrape up the money, they wont have it, anymore ;-)

The PCMCIA card sounds interesting... now, where can I find an old, slow, outboard modem, in working shape???? RS232 type.

Ive got one that was the backbone for an ISP on Vancouver Island, when it was all Telnet.... BUT, it weighs abot 30 lbs (2 stone?) and is not suitable, for my purpose.

I need one of those little plastic, US Robotics type, before they became windows dependant and went inside the computer case. Or... PIC  it? I want to set up a simple, wireless telnet sever.

I dont know if I will even find the time.... I want to make a couple of trips into gold country, by August, or early Sept. After the middle of Sept. it can get a little chilly, camping out.

At the start of Aug., I have to shell out on my mining claims (in lieu of  work) annual stuff, about $450 Can, if they havnt raised the fees. My panning only claim, is due in mid March, and all paid up, thank Dog.

So its either time or money or time and money!

I need a place to go and shoot for nuggets.... would be nice.

We had a heavy downpour, here, so bad I could not up/down load, because the cloud was obscuring the satellite... I shut off my computer, a couple hours ago, when I came back, I was still logged in! Amazing!

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39224.html#msg39224

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2009, 07:33:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The specs are a misconception on your part. Just because a part is not on the list does not mean it will not program. Discontinued items are always dropped off. The PIC16C54 core is still supported and you can use MPLab to do the job with any programmer that will program 16C5xx parts.

Send me a PM and let us chat about me sending you a spare programmer from my yesteryear. I also have a good friend up in BC who may have an extra laying about. He lives in Burnaby.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39226.html#msg39226

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 01:46:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

I would rather do that this winter, right now, I need to get out, when I can, because I am limited, when winter comes. I have plans to take a couple trips, as well, which will take me away from such play. When I do stuff, like that, I like do it thoroughly, so I dont forget.

I had a memory problem, after a car accident, in 1975... I had a brain trauma and micro clots.... took a long time to overcome. Now, I have to stick with something, until I get it right, or I forget (bad short term memory, from brain damage.)

If I build it myself, I remember how it works, if I write it down I remember, also. If I read it, its long lasting. An aural conversation is in one ear and out the other and 90 percent gone. When I was a teen, I trained myself in speed reading, with a tachistoscope, and in comprehension/memory retention. That is why reading does so well, for me, now. Its also fortunate that I  was ambidextrous.... I went through school as a right hander, now, Im forced to be a lefty, as my right has nerve damage. (I have some dislexia, now, also.)

Gold panning is ambidextrous work.

What I was saying, about 16C5x is what you said, some programmers wont programme it, on the list or not, that is not it, it is peculiar! If I remember rightly, a 16C54 is serially programmed (nothing to do with RS232 or USB,) and not all programmers will do that. Subsequent PICs were parallel programmable (NOT printer port.) Then again, I may have that the wrong way around, I will have to go back and read a PDF. The C54s I have are OTP!

One reason I cant buy a programmer, right now, is because I just bought a camper van, and summer takes all my money, for prospecting and/or placer work. Winter is when I have more dollars free. Earlier, in May, I bought a $1700 tow-behind tiller, for next years gardening. Then I bought this $400 lap top. Sheesh!

Next month, August, I have to pay the gov. of BC about $450, in lieu of work, for 4 mineral claims. One of my claims (placer) has been paid up since March and I hope to go do some gold washing, on it, yet this summer.

Im just waiting on the feds, to issue my permit to carry a gun (shot gun,) as my claim has seen a number of grizzlies.... bear spray does NOT work, on grizzly, and sometimes not on black bear, but an ounce of lead does work. Ive never had to use a gun,yet, but one of these times my luck may run out. One can usually convince a black bear he should go somewhere else.

Later......

Brian AKA goldigger (if I dont dig gold Im not a goldigger)

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39372.html#msg39372

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 02:36:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Who said anything about selling you my spare programmer? If you have all those 54s to use, I have an older starter kit that is still supported by MicroChip that I will send you as long as you can lay your hands on a 5 Volt power module for it. Those are too heavy to ship to the USA and the ones I have are all for 240v rather than 110. So, if you can scrounge up the right power cord, you can have one of my old, spare units.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39373.html#msg39373

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 12:36:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

I was writing a post, just about to send it and POOF! It just disappeared! Try again...

About the programmer, I wasnt offering to buy, but what the heck.... Ive got lots of wall warts, some 5 v, some 8 v, some 12 v, some dial-able, and some AC. I have 3 generators and two inverters.... enough power? Im sure I could use a 5.6v lantern battery with a series diode for 4.9v, if I had to. Send away!

I expect you need an address (snail mail, that is.) I will email you.

240 v..... must be Oz. I had a Jaycar catalogue and all the inverters were (hey, do you know the Bush Tucker man?) 240 v. Its close, because we have 220/230 vac, here. It comes into the house as 220 or 230 or even 240; it splits into 2 legs of 115/120 vac, and some appliances use the full 220/230. the center or neutral wire (usually green) is equivalent to ground, but not ground. You have to have ground too. This makes either 120 v leg, one side neutral and one side hot, and the 2 legs (hot wires) are 180  degrees out of phase to each other. Basically similar to the UK, except we dont use the 220/230 for everything.

Just joking about the Bush Tucker guy, I used to watch all his episodes.... quite interesting. We have the Survivor Man, here, who goes out for 7 days, tries to live off the land, and Ive seen him walk on good survival food, eat stuff a dog wouldnt, then do stupid things like eating water lily roots, because his advisers said they were OK. Man was he sick! Still, its entertaining.... I would NEVER eat water lily roots! There is better stuff.

Got to go email you.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39430.html#msg39430

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4    Go Up
Jump to: