[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:23 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Now you are talking, Ive come up with a 100 plans, at least, on how to get that TV (LCD 4x5 monitor,) on a piece of pipe, in front of me.... of course, all 100 would not have worked. I now have the germ of an idea for a pull type thingy... push-pull?? Well, nothing on paper yet, but it would be VERY low tech.

The discussion, on FFT, got me thinking... I have been tossing around ideas, for measuring gravel deposit depth, or depth to a discontinuity, such as a lacustrine deposit, such as often serves in place of bedrock, to hold alluvial gold. FFT might be the answer, for assesing echoes, as I had only been considering using the time of the shock wave, to fix depth, which is relatively simple. If it works for radar, it should work as a seismic tool.

Ive often wondered if one could get a subsurface picture with a powerful fish finder... some of those are VERY powerful and the circuitry and program is an accomplished fact. (using a big rubber bag with water, or?)

I did some Googling and found there is all kind of code, out there, for the PIC16F628, of which I have a bunch... I dont have to write a program, just assemble and program a flash register, heh. It might be worth experimenting with. So far, its just a thought.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38825.html#msg38825

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:27:02 am by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 02:12:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

From such meanderings of thought come genius.

Have you used those PIC16F628 devices before? They are quite good and very versatile.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38842.html#msg38842

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 02:28:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Nope. Just got them 2 days ago, even though I ordered over a month ago. I have a kit, from the UK, for a small  frequency counter, from a magazine article, that uses a PIC16F628.... then I lost the article, so it sits, waiting until I get my mags organized.... I spend too much time doing things, like this forum, to do that! Me, organize?

I got a whole bunch of stuff a month ago, and it includes a bout 6, Garmin, hockey-puck, GPS receivers, which were cheeeep. I want to build a survey logging system, with at least one. i probably wont get back to that project until winter, when I cant go anywhere.

The 16F628s were fairly inexpensive, too, and I know there are a few projects, around, I could build. I even found a GPS project, Googling, last nite. I am going to have to DIGEST what I got, on the net... a lot of the links were broken, especially for something interesting. Murphy, you know. I just need a couple of programmers.

There were all kinds of metal locators, FFT projects, web servers, frequency counters, DDS signal generators, packet projects, cw decoders, packet ENcoders, and on and on...

I find, if I look again, in about 24 hrs, I find a whole batch of new stuff. I would like to set up a small HTTP/Telnet server.... I have three small cameras, so I could do a web cam... visible and IR (to watch the deer.)

Could be fun..... almost as much as gold and coin hunting.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38949.html#msg38949

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 04:06:36 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My wife and I love to visit webcams around the world. Great fun. Armchair travel to Trafalgar Square, Old Faithful, Mt St Helens and even Waikiki Beach in Honolulu! In the UK, there is even a barber shop where you can watch Mr Evangelista give haircuts.

A friend once had a webcam with a split screen. On one screen, you would see a toy mechanized and remote controlled digging machine. On the other half, you see the view from the cab. He set the machine up under lights in his back yard in a great big enclosed sand pit and let users log on for their 15 minutes at the controls. It was great fun and before he went live with it, we both played quite a bit trying to break it. You know how that goes. He kept the machine charged up by an overhead stringing wire and spring arm which plugged into the digger. As long as the digger did not fall over, all would work pretty much fine.

To cut a long story short, a group of college students who freely owned up to what they did, dug a hole under the enclosure by taking turns. They managed to break free one night by making the hole big enough to drive the digger through and went wandering about his back yard terrorizing his poor dog. Actually, the dog seemed confused but otherwise having a great time. The soil here in the Perth area is mostly sand so it was not hard for them, just time consuming. The students, from the University of Western Australia (UWA) physics department had great fun and my mate was laughing for weeks over the shenanigans. Fortunately, he discovered the breakout before they managed to dig under the back yard fence.

Did I mention he buried a small pirate chest in the sand pit? Nobody ever found it but that was the goal of the game. His sand pit and the digger are gone now since he put in a pool.

I want to set up a webcam that allows control of a USB missile launcher that launches foam missiles at pie plates. Reloading the missiles is the problem. I would spend most of my day reloading. I might just do the same with a BB gun that runs off a compressor. Filling it with a few thousand rounds every week would be far easier.

Regarding your PIC16F628 devices, have you got a programmer for them? They are quite cheap on eBay and the compiler which used machine code is free from Microchip.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg38957.html#msg38957

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 04:20:13 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 11:13:30 am »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

Microchip... I have several of their CDs and lots of ancient MPASM stuff as well as assembler stuff for about any microprocessor made!

I like to pick up CDs from the bargain bins, so have acquired a lot of older stuff, for win3.1 and win95.... havent been able to use some of the newer stuff, until I bought this lap top, and FINALLY got my XP table top going! HOWEVER... now I need an USB-to-RS232 dongle!!

What I have been thinking, is to link my XP to my Win3.1, via modem, and use the RS232 on it.

Could be fun....

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39026.html#msg39026

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 02:44:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

My first computer was a CP/M machine which I built from scratch. I used lots of others but that was my very first. It had whopping great 8" floppies, no hard drive and 16kilobytes of ram. The good old days of software efficiency. The great beast is in storage.

Rather than a USB dongle, what about a PCMCIA USB card to do the trick?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39039.html#msg39039

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 12:15:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

PCMCIA? Doubts it Ralf! Does it have RS232... that is what I need for 90 or 95% of my programming stuff; I can make a dongle or I can buy a dongle, I would still have to buy a PCMCIA system, unless my card reader works on PCMCIA. But how would I use that... still requires a dongle.

Jameco HAD a PCMCIA system that went into a drive bay.... I saved up.... then it disappeared from the catalogue! Never got it. No, a dongle is the easiest/cheapest solution, for my XP, which WILL use a lot of win3.1 programmes, by the way; it does have a parallel port, for a printer. (Im a pensioner, been a pensioner since 1976, because of a car accident, now Im a SENIOR pensioner, at double the income of a disability pensioner.... it allows me to dabble, a bit more, in gold/coin/bottle/insulator hunting.)

What I really need is a way to stick a thumb drive (or SD card,) into a home made piece of survey equipment, to record each LINE surveyed.... guess I have to break down and play with PICs.

If the data saver/logger is made to take either 300/1200 Baud packet data (AX-25), raw RS232 or parallel (TTL) data.... it would be transportable to different equipment and uses.... I have NEVER seen anything like that, anywhere... the closest being some kind of logger.

For my logging, I want to use a Tiny Trak 3 or 4, to get GPS data. The TT3/4 is triggered by every data save (using the PTT function,) thus sticking in GPS data with every data read.

So far, Ive come up with a simple solution: save it all, as packet data,  on a digital sound recorder (good for 32 hrs... overkill.) Then download to a sound card TNC (a NOMIC, preferred) and save on the HD.

Solution 2 would be a low power packet transmitter (DSB to conserve battery power) and send directly to a base rec/computer, for saving to HD. The neatest solution! Since I am a Ham, I can do that... call is VE7EQP.

To survey a line across a claim cell (about 460 Meters) I only need about 1/2 Hr for a round trip - survey one-way and walk back. I would only be able to do 6 or 10 surveys per day, which means 120 to 200 minutes of recording per day (recharged batteries, daily,) and up to 3 miles of walking.

With a thumb drive, the data only needs a few seconds of battery, every 2 to 10 meters; a 1 gB thumb drive will do the whole cell, for 10 years over! So, having said that, I expect a serial memory chip would do, and download evey line, while resting, Ha.

It all comes back to PICs.

What I plan to do with the data is process it with a simple program to assign a PIXEL value, to each reading (0 to 255, colour) and view it as a colourized map.

I could do the same with magnetometer data, deep locator data or just permeability data, make mylar over-lays, to scale, and fit-to-map, or each other. (How do you save dowser data?)

One other thing we have here.... lots of trees and bush and it is NEVER flat, any survey equipment has to be narrow, strong and able to bend around trees.

So, thats where I am, stuck in the muddle, again.

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39124.html#msg39124

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 04:26:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

PCMCIA is that little slot along the side of most laptops. The cards you get for them serve various functions like networking, modem, and so on. I am sure someone out there in the computing world has created one that has a couple of USB ports in it. Here you go. Just a few on eBay. Use the search term of PCMCIA and USB in the search block and see what is available in the US.

Please Register or Login

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=pcmcia+usb

Datalogging is quite easy with the PIC. Many such devices are already out there. If you are near a good electronics supply shop, go there and look at some of the wonderful books on designing with the PIC chips. Also, read some of the Don Lancaster articles in Nuts and Volts magazine. He does keep an archive at

Please Register or Login

http://www.tinaja.com
where you can download incredible amounts of useful information. You may hate me for sending you that link. His site is a time waster of the highest order. Your brain will go into instant overload with ideas. See you next month, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39140.html#msg39140

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:28:46 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 02:12:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GoldDigger1950;

I got it! Miss cue! The dongle I need, is to convert USB to RS232... I got lots of USB ports, 3 on this laptop, 5 or 6 on my table topper, with a 6 port hub.... no, I NEED RS232 and dont have it, on either XP machine. I have a little 4 port hub, on my lap top, so I can download into 2 thumb drives (actually, one thumb drv. and on flash memory stick.)

I see the card slot, it takes SD, etc., cards on my machine, and may take a PCMCIA. Now, if I could get a PCMCIA with an RS232 (commonly called serial, but so is USB,) it might accomplish something.

Nuts and Volts has been running a series on different ICs that translate USB to RS232 and vice versa, but that is for winter projects (as long as it doesnt get too cold to solder. Heh. The shivering makes it difficult for surface mount soldering.)

I used to have a subscription to Pop Tronics, when they first started, then I got ELEKTOR, and EPE mag, now I grab the odd N and V, if its interesting... they get too technically pedantic! The useful magazines have thinned out. Oh, I buy CQ, occasionally, being a Ham.

Most PIC data loggers are serial. Of course, the memory is serial, and it only takes 2 pins for serial... I hate serial, give me good old parallel! Ive looked at a few 386 imbedded types, the learning curve is not so steep and long, because I have years of it, dinned into me. They take more power, and are bulky, unfortunately.

I will now spend 20 minutes trying to post this... from 12 noon to about 2 PM (PST) the local solar noon, has the sun shining right into the satellite dish and overloading it with solar microwaves (darn, and no way to save them,) it swamps the puny satellite signal and makes for multiple data resends! (To ACK or not to ACK...) The graphic download representation fiddles up and down and slowly gains on it. Downloads are normally over 100kbps, and can drop to about 3kbps..... then it fails.

Here goes...

Brian AKA goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39195.html#msg39195

goldigger

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 05:13:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Brian, you must be aware that Microchip sells a PIC that interfaced directly to USB. Also, there are PCMCIA cards that have a serial RS232 or RS485 interface. They normally come with a wired plug that is either hard mounted into the card (best - most rugged) or a tiny clip that plugs into the card (fragile).

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,6345.msg39207.html#msg39207

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: