[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Shakin97Topic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

110.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:45:47 am »
Go Up Go Down

Eugene and fellow hobbyist,

I'm a test engineer for Analog Devices and have always been intrigued by the numerous VLF designs out there.  I've always wanted to build my own discriminating detector using both phase and magnitude( I & Q) information for depth and metal information.  (I've already built a BFO design that works reasonably well that the kids play with.)  Of course due to the bias I have for AD parts Cheesy, the VLF detector I intend to build will be based mainly on Analog Devices parts.  This is just an initial experiment, and there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, so I will base the core design around some topology that currently has been proven to be fairly successful.  My goal is a low noise (High SNR) detector that will allow around 25cm(10 inches) of sensitivity to a US quarter in air.  From everything I've read thus far for VLF detectors, this is a reasonable target to shoot for.   

My question is what design(s) would you recommend as a solid starting point?  Andy Flind designs or something manufactured like a tesoro or Ace design?  Once I get my prototype functional I will send out an update.  Hopefully I can keep it simple enough that others can benefit by building their own.

Rob     

No one has a favorite IB detector that they successfully built?   

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13196.msg83640.html#msg83640

Offline jayr
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

10.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:02:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Rob,

I am with you.  I have repaired several detectors including my White's XLT.  I would like to build a modern discriminating VLF, but all of the designs I have found on the Internet seem to be rather old.  I was hoping there was something out there that would be more modern.  This forum seems to be a likely place for one to turn up.  Hopefully one of the experienced members will answer your post!

Jay

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13196.msg84835.html#msg84835

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: