[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline sinclairuser
electrical engineer
Copper Member

Mood:Curious
Curious

electrical engineer
Thank you1

Activity
0%

United Kingdom
Referrals: 0

361.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards

whites 3900 pp, idx pro, csi pro , cscope770 ,baracuda, minipulse plus.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:33:05 am »
Go Up Go Down

a completely honest answer about the chinese stuff, coils thats the real problem, add to that non existent quality control, and you have all the ingredients for costly lesson.
some work fantastic 3%, some work ok 10%, but the rest are trash so its a gamble.
it has to be said some sellers in the states charge ridiculous amounts of money for them too.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297351.html#msg297351

open source hardware supporter

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 08:14:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Consider a lower cost modern detector. Those old Whites machines are wonderful but so heavy compared to the modern machines. Even name brand Whites, Garrett, or Tesoro machines are not terribly expensive and their low end models compare favorably or exceed that of the old Surfmaster.

If you are hesitant, go find one to rent or try on a test plot. You won't be disapointed.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297352.html#msg297352

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 37.0
Firefox 37.0

Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 11:45:01 am »
Go Up Go Down

Chinese is like Harbor Freight.   Works fine the first two times and then takes a shit.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297356.html#msg297356

Offline bwaltonTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

40.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 11:37:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

I have seen this opinion a bit, although I think the jury is still out on how good they are. I think a certain percentage of the negative comments have more to do with them not being "Made in America" then them not working. I really don't care where its made as long as it does what I want, in fact I would be really hard pressed to find a MD that was "Made in Canada" seeing I am a Canadian not an American........  Smiley To be honest I think the "Made in America" line is a bit deceiving, I guess it depends on how loose your definition is, I think they may be "Assembled in America" , they may be "Designed in America" but I think most of the components are likely made in Asia someplace, for all the brands not that it really matters. 

I will hold out a happy thought on the Surfmaster but won't hold my breath, I think I will have to make this a DIY project, in thinking about it, it shouldn't be that difficult to put something together, all you need is a waterproof case, and a couple of waterproof cable pass through connectors (available from any boating supply store) You would want to limit the holes so only 2, 1 for the coil cable and 1 for the headphones, you would have no access to the controls once you seal it and get in the water, if you needed to change a setting you would need to come out of the water make the change and reseal it, but in most cases the 2 detectors I am thinking of (BH 2200 or BH Tracker IV) are "set it and forget it" for the most part.

Oh well, Every Day is a New Adventure
The 2 New Garrett Pro-Pointer AT's Arrived Today, Yippee

All The Best
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297417.html#msg297417

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows NT 6.3
Windows NT 6.3
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 11:59:43 am »
Go Up Go Down

Read the Reports on the Chines Knock Off's!   Your not going to find anything favorable.

American or Canadian made at least you can send them back if they Crap out.  Oh, Canadians don't make any!  Eaaaaa?

Nothing Wrong with the Bounty hunters.  I have a Camo LS gave to me by Bitburg and that dang cheap thing will find a Earing Backing 7" down in a tot lot of sand  .

Made 100 miles from where I live I could drive there to turn it in for repair.     Right now it is in need of a new Pot and one is on the way.  

If your handy with a solder Iron, Build your own.   Silverdogs Store has kits for a few PI Detectors that need no special equipment to set up.

You can make your own Coil or use a Commerical Coil on them.    Want it Water Tight?   Your only limited by your Imagination.  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297419.html#msg297419

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Surf pi parts placement.jpg
surfApBfront1.jpg

« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 12:04:35 pm by homefire »
Offline bwaltonTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

40.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Firefox 38.0
Firefox 38.0

Awards
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34:51 am »
Go Up Go Down

I think I will likely go with the DIY project, at least as far as the waterproof case is concerned, I am not up to soldering circuit boards but I think I can handle the case ok. As I said I will likely go with the BH 2200 (I know the 2200's work quite well I got my son one for  last Christmas and he has been doing really well with it) or the BH TK4 I am leaning toward the TK4 it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the 2200 does but for my use I don't need them. Bounty Hunter emailed me the size of the TK4's control box so I can get an idea of enclosure size and I just need to decide if I will waist mount it (means at times the enclosure would be submerged, but only a few inches) or chest mounted (means it would never be under water unless I fell) It would never have to handle the pressure of being down 100-200 feet or whatever if I was that deep I would already be dead, can't swim so I only go about waist deep or a little more. just have to look for the bits and pieces and watch for a good price on the TK4, best I have seen so far is $114.00 CDN which would be about $91.00 US....... I am getting excited about the project  Smiley

I can hardly wait to get out to a local park we have been working to try out the new
pin-pointer AT's will be out hunting Friday and Saturday (Thursday & Sunday Rain Sad )

All the Best
Bill

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60389.msg297443.html#msg297443

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: