[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline charlotte49erTopic starter
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Copper Member

Gold Rush Guys
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

500.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Wader, Falcon MD20, Nugget Snoop, Garrett Coin Hunter w/Groundhog Coil, Ground EFX MX 200 digital GPS metal detector, Bounty Hunter Discriminator 840
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:51:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I bought 3 bags of black beach sand from either Oregon or Washington on eBay.  While panning the black sands for gold, there were several of these rocks in it.

They look like granite, but have green "spots" in them and what appear to be copper in the rocks.  My first thought was copper ore  (I have never actually seen copper ore before).  Also, I don't/didn't think that Oregon and or Washington state was known for copper.  (Utah and Michigan, yes, but Oregon and Washington??)

I searched on Bing and it kind of looks like Copper Ore, but the images on line had a lot more green to them.

What are the rocks and are they worth the time and effort to put them on eBay?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19635.msg128819.html#msg128819

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

DSCF5976.JPG

Gold Rush Guys - Gold Prospecting Supplies and Metal Detectors

Please Register or Login

{alt}

Carolina Dealers for XP DEUS, DetectorPro Metal Detectors and Headphones and Gold Prospecting Supplies

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:02:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It most likely is a copper ore, although it is hard to tell from the pictures which one of several.   As for copper in Oregon and Washington, while not as prevalent as in several other western states, copper was mined in both states (Oregon -- Baker and Josephine counties / Washington -- on the Olympic Peninsula and in Stevens county).

BA

You might want to take a look at this site (be sure to follow through to Ores 2):

Please Register or Login

http://www.oldcopper.org/copper_ores.htm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19635.msg128823.html#msg128823

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:08:19 pm by BitburgAggie_7377, Reason: adding a link »
Offline LkyEgl
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 01:07:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

That is copper ore.
Is it worth putting on ebay?? Hey, some people will buy anything.

Though I'm not sure, I think Oregon has it's fair share of copper. I have several ounces of almost pure volcanic copper found in extreem Northern California, (near the Oregon border,) with a metal detector.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19635.msg128826.html#msg128826

Offline charlotte49erTopic starter
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Copper Member

Gold Rush Guys
Owner - Gold Rush Guys
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

500.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Wader, Falcon MD20, Nugget Snoop, Garrett Coin Hunter w/Groundhog Coil, Ground EFX MX 200 digital GPS metal detector, Bounty Hunter Discriminator 840
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 01:32:28 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks guys.  It looks like Brochantite, with Copper, Cuprite & Langite from the picture on the site. 

Not to bad for a former Manufacturing Engineer.  I took a total SWAG at it, when I saw the rocks.  

I read somewhere that copper was always found with turquoise, or maybe turquoise is always found with copper.  (Kind of like Black Sand and Gold.  Where you find Gold, you'll find Black Sand, but where you find Black Sand, you don't always find Gold.)  My head hurts now.   Grin

But the color in the rocks is too green to be turquoise and it's coloring not in gem form.  (Than I thought about copper roofs and the Statue of Liberty with their green patina.)

That's one thing about prospecting.  You never know what you will run into.

Back when I was 10 years old, my buddy and I used to ride out bikes along this utilities road. It ran by a creek that always had running water.  One day, I looked down and picked up a rock from the creek and there was Gold spots in it!  I know I had just struck it rich!  Where there was one rock, there was sure to be more!  All the way home I kept thinking about the new bike I was going to buy!  (Never thinking that someone probably owned the land that the creek was on.

My Father took the rock to work and came home with the news.  It was Pyrite!  I had heard of Platinum, so I figured it was right up there!  LOL  (Of course it was worthless.)  Cry

For a brief few days, I had Gold Fever!  It took me 43 years after that, but I caught it again!   Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19635.msg128833.html#msg128833

« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:36:04 pm by charlotte49er »

Gold Rush Guys - Gold Prospecting Supplies and Metal Detectors

Please Register or Login

{alt}

Carolina Dealers for XP DEUS, DetectorPro Metal Detectors and Headphones and Gold Prospecting Supplies

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:00:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by charlotte49er
I read somewhere that copper was always found with turquoise, or maybe turquoise is always found with copper.  (Kind of like Black Sand and Gold.  Where you find Gold, you'll find Black Sand, but where you find Black Sand, you don't always find Gold.)  My head hurts now.

Turquoise is found with copper because one of the primary elements in turquoise is copper (chemical formula CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8?4H2O ).   As for the color, it can range from a bright blue to something much closer to green than to blue (many copper roofs become the same color as a lot of turquoise prized by Navajo and Pueblo craftsmen).   Unfortunately most turquoise is too soft for gem work unless treated (not to mention that a whole lot of what gets mistaken for turquoise is actually chrysocolla (chemical formula (Cu,Al)2H2Si2O5(OH)4?nH2O )).........so finding turquoise means you have found copper---but finding copper does not necessarily mean you will find turquoise.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19635.msg128836.html#msg128836

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: