[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline joemamaTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:47:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Please help us identify the meaning of -F,412- on a map of -CATHEAD Island- in the year 1943. We seem to be having trouble finding the meaning of the F,412   if you have any info that would be really cool.  Thank you.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53791.html#msg53791

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:37 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Um, hello to you too.

An introduction would be nice before you come here begging information, mate.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53794.html#msg53794

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Oops, you're totally right, i must of double clicked my - Hello-

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53796.html#msg53796

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:09:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A couple of things now come to mind. Why is this information important and where is Cathead Island?

Why I ask this is because there's never been a master book or reference table of treasure keys to look these things up. Almost all treasure marks are unique and relate only to the person hiding the treasure. You mentioned 1943, just before the end of WWII so the information might refer to a military regiment or military action. Or it might be something else based on whatever story you are chasing down. Just like many other things, merely asking about such esoteric information is really quite meaningless without at least a hint of what you are doing on Cathead Island.

Try telling a bit about it without giving too much away. That shouldn't be too hard.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53814.html#msg53814

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:12:55 pm by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

30.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 08:14:16 pm »
Go Up Go Down

gotcha, thanks. We had moved into an old farmhouse about 5yrs ago, owners were cleaning out the old barn, we got curious and checked out the dumpster (yep, we were dumpster diving) anyways we found this hand drawn map, with very specific directions to find the F,412. Said how many yards to the east, then so many feet south, then dig 3ft down under the flat rock. We are pretty sure the island is in South Pacific, and positive its from 1943 (it is dated). The only thing we cant find info on is F,412.  Also found with the map was the owners address book, throughout the book is written F,412. Unfortunately the owner of these items had passed away and theres no living relatives, so were unable to ask any of the family.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53842.html#msg53842

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:22:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by joemama
gotcha, thanks. We had moved into an old farmhouse about 5yrs ago, owners were cleaning out the old barn, we got curious and checked out the dumpster (yep, we were dumpster diving) anyways we found this hand drawn map, with very specific directions to find the F,412. Said how many yards to the east, then so many feet south, then dig 3ft down under the flat rock. We are pretty sure the island is in South Pacific, and positive its from 1943 (it is dated). The only thing we cant find info on is F,412.  Also found with the map was the owners address book, throughout the book is written F,412. Unfortunately the owner of these items had passed away and theres no living relatives, so were unable to ask any of the family.

Wow. That's better and very intriguing. Unfortunately, the island may go by another name today. Google turned up nothing on the name.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg53888.html#msg53888

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline saoirse
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's Spectrum XLT
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You might need to do a great deal of detective work on this mystery. Seems the meaning of F,412 is moot unless you know where Cathead Island is located. As GD says the name may have changed like many other places  - Kiribati was the Gilbert Islands until 1979, Ghana was the Gold Coast until 1957 and Indonesia was the Netherland East Indies until 1945 - to name a very few. Although searches usually tend to locate a place by either old or new name. It may be a nickname, or if he was in the service - a code name, and not the actual name. Or it may have been written incorrectly in confusion or intentionally to confuse others.

I found a Cathead Point which is 17miles from North Fox Island and South Fox Island in Lake Michigan. There is a Cat Ba Island, which is only 140 sq. km. located in Ha Long Bay, N. Vietnam. And going back to Records of the Governor and Company of the Massachusetts Bay in New England, Vol III, p.389, dated 1655, "...the iland called Catta Iland...lying neere to Marble Head" was granted to Governor John Endecott at his own request by the General Court of Massachusetts. (BTW it is now called Children's Island). Any of these could be related - but probably aren't. You don't say what part of the country you are located in, so perhaps one of these might be near you. You don't say why you believe it is in the South Pacific either.

If I were you, I would work with what you have. You do know the name of the man who owned the address book and had the map, right?  If so that is where to begin. Start researching him. Try the local library or historical society, old newspapers, cemetery etc. Maybe there is still someone around town that knew him and could give you some information about him (although I wouldn't mention the map to anyone, just say you are living in his old house and were interested in him). Perhaps you can find out if he served in the military, what branch, maybe what ship and where, which might narrow down where to look next. Some of the listings in the address book may be fellow veterans. You might be able to track one of them down. I know my dad kept info on men he served with. However, you are dealing with a ticking clock, as those that remain are getting up in their 80's and 90's. Try some of the other listings in the address book. Track down whomever you can to get information on the guy and then go from there. You might want to research genealogy sites as well. Perhaps this has to do, not with military service, but where he worked or traveled. Loads of possibilities.

Nothing like having a great treasure map but not knowing where it begins. Good luck. Hope to hear more on this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg54019.html#msg54019

Offline Rattlesnake Joe
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

965.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 250 ace,  Whites DI Pro,  Fisher two box
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:36:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

Look for an island in the South Pacific that is shaped like a cats head or was back in 1943.  Or maybe the name stems from a rock formation that looks like a cats head that is found on the island.  This might be a Japanese treasure that was found by liberating GI's.  They buried the treasure hoping to come back after the war and dig it up.  The F, 412 is probably code and known only to the guys who buried the treasure.  But maybe it means go 412 feet from the Catshead and start digging.  If I am right a small percentage of the millions you will get would be nice.  If I am passed on then give my share to David Icke the author of THE  BIGGEST  SECRET

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg106751.html#msg106751

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
74%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 12:07:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't forget the possibility that Cat Head is the english translation of the actual name of the island in another language.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,8591.msg106761.html#msg106761

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: