[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline taz42oTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:32:03 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I dug this in Ohio by a one room school house foundation, there was also more modern junk there so it may have no connection to the school.  The one side is spring loaded at the pin, other side is not.
   I have posted it on other md'ing sites and it has not been identified yet but found that someone else had found one also [ second set of pics] theirs is in better condition . That person said it is nickle plated and has a DRP. no.50863 witch I believe is late 1889 patent date.

Does anyone know what it is?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg63275.html#msg63275

There are 5 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

Picture 005.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
thingamajjigger.jpg
thingamajjigger2.jpg

Offline mudpike
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 04:59:47 pm »
Go Up Go Down

At first I thought it might be a tensioner for a rope or possibly wire. Rope being fed into the area
with the round hole, pulled tight & clamped down to hold it.  Or how about a chalk holder ?   
Just a few guesses, I'm sure someone will ID it, sooner or later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg63388.html#msg63388

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 07:41:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Very intersting finds there....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg63407.html#msg63407

Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:30:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

i dont know what it is, i wish i could see inside the tube if there was a tapered blade for sharpening chalk/crayons?
i have several items pre ww2 german, marked with drp short for "deutsches reich patent". i know this mark was not used after 1949(the war).
now its going to bug me until i figure it out! Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg64812.html#msg64812

Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:37:16 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by taz42o
  I dug this in Ohio by a one room school house foundation, there was also more modern junk there so it may have no connection to the school.  The one side is spring loaded at the pin, other side is not.
   I have posted it on other md'ing sites and it has not been identified yet but found that someone else had found one also [ second set of pics] theirs is in better condition . That person said it is nickle plated and has a DRP. no.50863 witch I believe is late 1889 patent date.

Does anyone know what it is?

If that is a patent number then it would be part of a

Please Register or Login

fire and burglar alarm made in 1865
. Essentially there were a bunch of ropes and pulleys and when there was a fire or someone breaking in the rope would either be burned through or disturbed, dropping a bunch of weights that sounded a bell. This was before there was electricity or phone. So even if it was a one room schoolhouse, the alarm would be there to alert the fire department over in the nearby town. But it seems more logical for a larger building. It might would be interesting to do more research on the schoolhouses that was built at that time. Perhaps the local historical society would have information. Or you could call those guys that do the PBS show

Please Register or Login

"History Detectives"
. Besides the fire alarm, many windows had a spring counterweight/pulley system to help open the windows (and many still do) which seems more logical to me. Even less glamorous is that it could be an inventory number to a part used in a folding table... Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg64817.html#msg64817

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 04:39:59 am by technos »
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 05:39:41 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks everyone for the replys, yes  varmit  it is a pre war german patent  # witch
I narrowed down to 1889. No blade inside and too small for chaulk, 1/4 " hole.

Also as I stated this thing is nickle plated and has a small clip on one end that holds it shut. when you squeeze the other end it pops open with a spring that flips one side open to a 90 degree angle to the rest of the piece.

Technos, you are looking at U.S patents this is a german patent. I dont think  it was used for anything as heavy  or industrial as alarm sytem or window wieghts. Not very heavly made and nickle plated.

One idea I  had is a small fold up ink stamp with rubber stamp part and knob handle missing but cannot find anything like that online.

I wish I could find more  info on DRP numbers but theres not much out there on them other than small lists showing dates issued.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg64824.html#msg64824

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 05:46:54 am by taz42o »
Offline technos
Copper Member

Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites eagle spectrum
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It looks it would be a relative common piece of equipment. D.R.P. numbers in Germany were first issued in

Please Register or Login

, and it doesn't really make sense that something made in Germany would be found in Ohio at that time considering the expense it would have taken to travel that distance. I'd like to see a close up inscription of those numbers (but I know the numbers are off from someone elses piece). A 1/4" opening is more than enough for a thin cord imho. if you take a look at the patent link I supplied, it does look like it could be one of those pieces. Also, being near the foundation it could easily have dropped out of a window assembly from an old (and decaying) building.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg64993.html#msg64993

Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 11:26:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

it looks big enough to hold a couple of mini candles and some matches, maybe a portable light before flashlights?

is the spring loaded handle that appears to fold into the releaved section of the body square across the end we cant see in the pix, or is it tapered to lay flush, notched, etc? Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg64994.html#msg64994

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

255.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 01:06:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi technos,  thanks for your help researching this thing.
 I have not been detecting for very long and this is the only thing I have found that I could not easily ID and is something I know can be IDed.
I had got an old whites coinmaster that belonged to my uncle started using it and am now hooked. I am going to order the new coinmaster for spring. So if anyone  has bought one yet I would love to hear what you think of them.

Yes 1/4" is big enough for a cord but when you open this thing to get into the other end it closes off the hole end so running something through it would be impossible. It is very light weight and has a very delicate clip on one end that reminds me of somthing you would see on a ladies compact or pill case. I am pretty sure it was something made to be used open then closed for storage. I think if you could hold it you would agree.

There were many german immigrants in Pa and ohio during 1880s Im sure they brought many small items with them.
In 1766 a committee of the House of Commons was told that about a third of Pennsylvania's population were German immigrants.
In 1890 there were large numbers of German born immigrants in the states.
Between 1820 and 1920 over 5,500,000 emigrated from Germany to the United States.

Taz

Quote:Posted by varmit
it looks big enough to hold a couple of mini candles and some matches, maybe a portable light before flashlights?

is the spring loaded handle that appears to fold into the releaved section of the body square across the end we cant see in the pix, or is it tapered to lay flush, notched, etc? :-

Hi varmit , There is not much room inside when its closed the space would be 1 1/4 long 3/8 wide and only 1/8 deep.
 Yes the part that folds with the spring is sqaure on both ends, the long side that has the little clip is sqaure on one end and rounded on the other to match the curve on the part that has the hole.
 If you can see it , in the fourth pic , there is a bump below the little tube and there is one on the other side also . when you sqeeze it on those bumps it pops open.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg65006.html#msg65006

Offline varmit
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 03:29:24 pm »
Go Up Go Down

it looks like the spring loaded handle opens enough so that the 1/4" hole is cleared to put something through, the "t" handle looks like it stops this loaded handle from closing all the way(is there a gap when the spring handle is up against the "t"?)
if so i think this is a clamp for holding a feather to make a quill pen. ive made a few and ruined feathers and cut myself this gadget would work great.
with the device open a feather quill would be slide along the spring loaded handle and through the 1/4" tube about an inch, the handle would be squezed with the thumb so even if the handle did'nt pinch the feather the thumb would hold the quill. you could take your knife and shape the quill and split it for the reservoir without worrying about going to far , it would hit the edge of the tube(and not your thumb)
it would be interesting to know if there are knife marks on the end of the tube from this.
 Tongue

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,10075.msg65249.html#msg65249

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: