[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline CyberborikuaTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

5220.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 66.0.3359.117
Chrome 66.0.3359.117

Awards

BH Tracker IV, BH Pioneer 505, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Trac, Hybrid Cobra Beach Magnet, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:49 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Cyberborikua
Hi all. Back from my trip in Puerto Rico. No gold/silver found, but lots of fun for sure. I found this tag at an old building. I think the tag was there prior to the construction (4-6"), but I have no idea what was it used for. My guess is that it was livestock or probably a valve tag. It has a number 64(?) engraved onto it. The building was a cultural center founded in 1963. Any ideas?

Hi all! I'm bringing this old posting up again due to my ongoing research on this type of tags in Puerto Rico. The piece seems to be an old worker's ID tag. I still need to figure out what kind of worker it belonged to. The use of ID tags was a common practice in Puerto Rico, especially used in coffee and sugar cane plantations, but also by construction companies and the like. Worker's wore them on their shirts or belts (thus making them easy to be lost). The building I referenced was not a cultural building but rather a "casilla del peon caminero" or road worker cottage in English. These solid Spanish buildings were built toward the last quarter of the 19th century. The one I visited was built between 1880 and 1890. These were small houses built for two "caminero worker" families. Each worker had an aide and they were charged with maintaining 5.5 km portions of main roads (they were also vigilantes and were armed). Right now most of these houses in PR are abandoned or transformed for a variety of purposes. The tag I found is encrusted with concrete and that could be an indication that it either belonged to the caminero or to a construction worker that built the house. Unfortunately, I have not found any information on the "camineros." I will keep you all posted as I get more information.

See:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.andalucia.com/travel/driving/roads/road/workers/cottages.htm

Update: The caminero wore a badge with the initials PC for Peon Caminero. Therefore, there is a chance that the tag belonged to a construction worker that built the cottage.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,27407.msg324649.html#msg324649

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 10:47:26 am by Cyberborikua »
Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: