[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline warrenmonty71Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

660.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Ace 250, Fisher F2, White's Spectrum XLT
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I found one of the White's Coinmaster 6db for $30 with the case and manual. Are these detectors any good? I have a couple of the new machines and a 1980 Garrett Marksman VLF/TR w/ 12" coil. I figured for the price you can't beat it as long as it works. I was just wondering if this thing can find any deep coins.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170319.html#msg170319

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:57:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey you got yourself a good old piece of History there.

I'm sure you already know that these things were made & built to last for a few lifetimes, there construction was near bullet proof you could say just by looking at it's heavy duty control box. Whites also used the tops in electronics & circut boards in there day when you got something for your money. The meters were always stable & rock solid too as reported and very accurate indicators.

Analog VLF machine & from all reviews back a few years, seemed to have been a great coin locater, they liked silver coins alot from the reports. (Some say these were even decent prospectors in there day)

For $30.00 bucks, some would say you got a pretty good buy for a song & dance low price!...I think with the upscale ever increasing prices these vintage machines are bringing on the bay, I think you got a good buy.

Here's a good PDF owners instruction manual:

Please Register or Login

http://media.whiteselectronics.com/manuals/Coinmaster%20Manuals/CM%206%20DB%20Instruction%20Manual.pdf

Congrats & hope that helped some,
Jim

Quote:Posted by warrenmonty71
I found one of the White's Coinmaster 6db for $30 with the case and manual. Are these detectors any good? I have a couple of the new machines and a 1980 Garrett Marksman VLF/TR w/ 12" coil. I figured for the price you can't beat it as long as it works. I was just wondering if this thing can find any deep coins.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170354.html#msg170354

« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:25:48 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 11:55:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Dang!   You Done Did Good! Shocked

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170476.html#msg170476

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:03:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Don't know about the 6DB but I had a 5 DB and like Poseidon-Jim mentioned, It was really good on silver. One of the most sensitive machines I have ever owned. I used to find silver dimes at 10-11 inches in SWPA dirt. In fact I sold it quite a few years ago and the guy that bought it is still using it and loves it!! 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170492.html#msg170492

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:20:46 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Mudflap,

Yep I think those old analogs were & are still good working machines. Silver dimes at 10" is awesome any way you dig um, and I think the 6db was just a step up & a slightly more sensitive machine which also then should be good on Silver.

lol, I bet with some of these newer machines out on the market, that some of the older whites bluebox guys wish they still owned theirs!

Thanks, Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by Mudflap
Don't know about the 6DB but I had a 5 DB and like Poseidon-Jim mentioned, It was really good on silver. One of the most sensitive machines I have ever owned. I used to find silver dimes at 10-11 inches in SWPA dirt. In fact I sold it quite a few years ago and the guy that bought it is still using it and loves it!!  

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170501.html#msg170501

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:22:31 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Might as well add my voice to those singing the praises of the old blue box---if you can handle the weight, it's a great instrument.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170518.html#msg170518

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:41:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I still have my Whites 6DB its a great machine, i bought it in 1978, i have the hip mount set up so you can carry the blue box  with a strap over your shoulder but for that price dont pass it up. I paid 369.95 back in the day when the 6DB and 6000 were the best machines. Mine still works and takes an 8 pack and 6 pack of batteries. Theres no way i would ever part with it for 30 bucks. Learn the TR feature and the wave sound for the deep silver. I know its hard to explain but set yourself up a test garden and you will figure it out. Good Luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg170607.html#msg170607

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:15:29 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good info there Dan!

I'm even checking into grabbing one of the 6DB's now, has the carry strap for hip or around the neck mount. the long beach rod and some extras. (It's nice to also know, that these things worked well even on the beaches of Florida to find those silver pieces of 8 for a time.)

Thanks Dan for that advice & I'll be contacting you to give me the scoop of it's tones and wave tone too!

Jim

Quote:Posted by danwebster
I still have my Whites 6DB its a great machine, i bought it in 1978, i have the hip mount set up so you can carry the blue box  with a strap over your shoulder but for that price dont pass it up. I paid 369.95 back in the day when the 6DB and 6000 were the best machines. Mine still works and takes an 8 pack and 6 pack of batteries. Theres no way i would ever part with it for 30 bucks. Learn the TR feature and the wave sound for the deep silver. I know its hard to explain but set yourself up a test garden and you will figure it out. Good Luck, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.....DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg171490.html#msg171490

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline danwebster
Silver Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

2775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites XLT  and  Surfmaster II
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 07:45:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If i can be of help just ask anytime there Jim, The meter is a helpful tool also, sometimes the slightest wave (increase in pitch from a steady threshold) is hard to hear so i use to check my meter and you will see the needle increase, then dig it. I use to mark the discrimination dial to where it would eliminate pull tabs, but remember if you do this you will eliminate rings. I also used it in the water, thats a whole other story...Keep on huntin...DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg171574.html#msg171574

Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 08:11:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Good evening Dan,

Well sir I have some questions of course & I'm sure we will be chatting on & off about these capable machines for some time, not to mention upgrades and modifications of these units.  Wink

(One thing of main interest to me is beach and surf detecting as it also is with you I believe, so I can say without a doubt that any information & advice on these machines are of utmost interest and importance to me)

I agree about the meter, many times when one relies on just the sound or visuals of the meter, but misses that target that lies deep on the edge of the envelope of signal pathway of transmittance & reception. I think your right, and I have noticed that especially on the rock-solid Whites analog meters of this era, that they were the direct outlet of received return signal intensity and would fluctuate the meters needle before one would hear a change in the audio threshold, to alert them that a possible target has been hit. (But for the audio only listening user, he could miss that meter needle flux that the speaker can't or doesn't register in this situation)

Set-up settings on the beach & for the surf is of interst to me, as well as any options to make this control box water-resistant.

Thanks Dan,  Great
Jim

Quote:Posted by danwebster
If i can be of help just ask anytime there Jim, The meter is a helpful tool also, sometimes the slightest wave (increase in pitch from a steady threshold) is hard to hear so i use to check my meter and you will see the needle increase, then dig it. I use to mark the discrimination dial to where it would eliminate pull tabs, but remember if you do this you will eliminate rings. I also used it in the water, thats a whole other story...Keep on huntin...DW

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,23600.msg171585.html#msg171585

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 08:26:48 pm by Poseidon-Jim »

Best Regards,
Jim

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: