[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SirLukeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's MXT300, Treasure Hunter Select MD-3019
« on: May 24, 2011, 11:49:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

So when the target is shallow, I get a good solid tone.  But there's a lot of other tones  and chatter that move all over the place when it's deeper.

I tested some differed coins at different depths in my house, and it seems difficult to know when and what to dig.

Is there something special I need to listen for? 

My settings are set to the default settings. 

I really like the machine, and I've had great luck with it.  I just want to make sure I am not missing anything more exciting that lies deeper.

As far as age goes, I've only found Wheaties through current coins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Luke

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176392.html#msg176392

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button
Oddest Find - German Military Medal 1849
Oldest Coin Find - Indian Head 1883

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:09:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by SirLuke
So when the target is shallow, I get a good solid tone.  But there's a lot of other tones  and chatter that move all over the place when it's deeper.

I tested some differed coins at different depths in my house, and it seems difficult to know when and what to dig.

Is there something special I need to listen for? 

My settings are set to the default settings. 

I really like the machine, and I've had great luck with it.  I just want to make sure I am not missing anything more exciting that lies deeper.

As far as age goes, I've only found Wheaties through current coins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Luke

No Mate your not doing anything wrong, Your just hitting multiple targets and are you using the 300 coils,
I use the older version of the 950 coil or the 6x10 coils because you get a bit better separation with them and
you will still pull coins out at 10" with the 6x10 and with that 300 coil it will see them well over a foot down.

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176394.html#msg176394

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I am at work now, so I am not sure which coil I use.  I know it's big.  I bought the detector used from a guy.

That's one of the weird things.  When I was just testing it out in my house, when I would hold a penny a distance from the coil, it would jump all over the place with the VDI.  So out of curiosity, when do you dig those deeper targets?  What do you look and listen for?

Luke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176397.html#msg176397

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Luke, Give me a call on here when you get home and I will be only to pleased to run through it with you
thats if you have a PC at home

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176398.html#msg176398

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:37:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Luke, Give me a call on here when you get home and I will be only to pleased to run through it with you
thats if you have a PC at home

AU

That's what's sad, right now, I do not.  which is why my office time is when I get to get on here a bit.

Sorry to be difficult.

Luke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176414.html#msg176414

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 02:26:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats ok Luke, First off check to see if the coil lead is tight where it screws on to the control box.

2, then check that the coil lead locking nuts are tight on the coil

3, your gain knob is'nt just a gain knob from 1 to 10, between 0 and 3 = 1x, between 3 and 5 = 2x, between 5 and 8 = 4x,    between 8 and 10 = 8x, between 10 and +3 = 16x. Now knowing all of these settings and how they multiply the original    signal it is easy to over power the returned signal so turn the power down to 7.5 and try your patch of ground again.  

Set your Disc to 2.9 in the relic mode with the trigger in the centre position on the hand grip, Please note that in the relic   mode with the trigger in the centre position that you can run the gain higher because this mode/setting has the slowest sat   speed which meens you will get the most depth.  

PLEASE NOTE ALWAYS SET YOU GAIN TO 2 - 2.5 FOR GROUND BALANCING ON A CLEAN AREA BECAUSE THE IDEA IS TO GROUND BALANCE THE GROUND NOT WIPE OUT IRON TARGETS OR GOOD TARGETS,

Put the ground switch into ground and pump the coil the flick the switch to Lock then turn the gain up to around 7 to 7.5   and then go and check your areas and then after that try and get the gain up to the preset position and make sure the Threshold   remains stable ,
But make sure that the threshold is only just audiable as a soft hum not so you it blasts your ears off   or too low that you have to strain to hear it,

anyway give that a go and get back to me and let me know if that all works for you   It is a very easy machine to use dispite what others may say with in a few days you will be a black belt with it,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176438.html#msg176438

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:12:17 pm by Ridge Runner »
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats ok Luke, First off check to see if the coil lead is tight where it screws on to the control box.

3, you gain knob is'nt just a gain knob from 1 to 10, between 0 and 3 = 1x, between 3 and 5 = 2x, between 5 and 8 = 4x,
    between 8 and 10 = 8x, betweeb 10 and +3 = 16x. Now knowing all of these settings and how they multiply the oridginal
    signal it is easy to over power the returned signal so turn the power down to 7.5 and try your patch of ground again.

Set your Disc to 2.9 in the relic mode with the trigger in the centre position on the hand grip, Please note that in the relic
   mode with the trigger in the centre position that you can run the gain higher because this mode/setting has the slowest sat
   speed which meens you will get the most depth.

Put the ground switch into ground and pump the coil the flick the switch to Lock then turn the gain up to around 7 to 7.5
   and then go and check your areas and then after that try and get the gain up to the preset position and make sure the Threshold
   remains stable , But make sure that the threshold is only just audiable as a soft hum not so you it blasts your ears off
   that you have to strain to hear it, anyway give that a go and get back to me and let me know if that all works for you
   It is a very easy machine to use dispite what others may say with in a few days you will be a black belt with it,

AU

Awesome!

I'll give that a shot.  Maybe a bit before I get out with it again though, as it will be raining here in Illinois for the next several days!

I can't wait to get out.

Luke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176442.html#msg176442

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button

Offline Dirt Devil
Bronze Member

I'M DIGGIN IT
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

770.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garrett gta 1000
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Luke
 AU just recently gave me the same settings to use on my MXT.They work very well and he knows what he is
talking about with these machines.
I am starting to get alot more comfy with this machine but I still seem to want to over power the unit.If a little is good
then alot must be better right ? WRONG

I'm still working on myself with this power thing but the more I use the machine the more trust I gain with it and I am
getting better at turning the gain down to keep the machine running stable.It's hard to do this when you know theirs more
power with just the turn of a knob but turning that knob to high and not running the machine stable will cause you to miss
tarkets aswell.
Run the machine stable and it will start talking to you more clearly.Give a man to much to drink and his speech starts
to slur,Give the MD to much gain and it's speech begins to slur also.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176473.html#msg176473

Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

[/quote]

3, your gain knob is'nt just a gain knob from 1 to 10, between 0 and 3 = 1x, between 3 and 5 = 2x, between 5 and 8 = 4x,
    between 8 and 10 = 8x, between 10 and +3 = 16x. Now knowing all of these settings and how they multiply the oridginal
    signal it is easy to over power the returned signal so turn the power down to 7.5 and try your patch of ground again.

Set your Disc to 2.9 in the relic mode with the trigger in the centre position on the hand grip, Please note that in the relic
   mode with the trigger in the centre position that you can run the gain higher because this mode/setting has the slowest sat
   speed which meens you will get the most depth.

Put the ground switch into ground and pump the coil the flick the switch to Lock then turn the gain up to around 7 to 7.5
   and then go and check your areas and then after that try and get the gain up to the preset position and make sure the Threshold
   remains stable , But make sure that the threshold is only just audiable as a soft hum not so you it blasts your ears off
   or too low that you have to strain to hear it, anyway give that a go and get back to me and let me know if that all works for you
   It is a very easy machine to use dispite what others may say with in a few days you will be a black belt with it,

AU

Ok, so I went out last night in my backyard again for about 15 mins.  I found 3 pennies in that time, all 3 were in areas I've been over plenty of times.

Is relic mode better to use than coin/jewelry?  What makes it better?  Am I just to listen to the high tones?

Luke

Posted on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:02 AM
Quote:Posted by v-burgh
Luke
 AU just recently gave me the same settings to use on my MXT.They work very well and he knows what he is
talking about with these machines.
I am starting to get alot more comfy with this machine but I still seem to want to over power the unit.If a little is good
then alot must be better right ? WRONG

I'm still working on myself with this power thing but the more I use the machine the more trust I gain with it and I am
getting better at turning the gain down to keep the machine running stable.It's hard to do this when you know theirs more
power with just the turn of a knob but turning that knob to high and not running the machine stable will cause you to miss
tarkets aswell.
Run the machine stable and it will start talking to you more clearly.Give a man to much to drink and his speech starts
to slur,Give the MD to much gain and it's speech begins to slur also.

I appreciate the response! 

Nice analogy at the end too!

Luke

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176681.html#msg176681

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:21:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

Luke, With those settings the Low tone is Iron and the High tone will be non-ferrous as in coins, rings, pull tabs, Bullits, ETC
This is the only mode that I use, BECAUSE.

The next time you go out set your machine as before then turn the gain up so the treshold starts to sound rough then
back it of a tiny bit so it sounds smoother where it is on the verge of sounding rough,

Now LOOK where the gain is set and make a note of that in your mind, NOW if you flick the trigger forward or put it
in to coins and Jewellry mode, DON'T touch anything here how rough it is now sounding, SO remembering where the
gain is, Turn the gain down until the threshold goes smooth right on the very edge of it trying to be rough and look
at the gain Knob and see the differance between where it is now and how much you have turned it down.
so the first settings I gave you are the best for Depth,

And those first settings are the deepist and they will match the prospecting mode fairly closely.
In that Relic mode I can pick up my Zippo Lighter AT 24" Now hears the Secrete with this machine

Set the machine as I first told you, Then Turn the Gain up like before so it starts to become unstable
then back it off as before so it is smooth and is just on the boarder of being rough,and remember these settings.

Now turn the machine OFF, Put it down on the ground with the coil at 90* to the ground, Now turn the machine back on
and turn the Gain right up to the limit where you had it before, If you have a large coin or a Zippo even better wave it
in front of the coil at around 16" and keep moving it away til it stops making the high tone,
Here you will notice there is A third tone that the MXT makes it is an all metal sound and it will do that for another 4 to 6 inches
further away, So doing this with my Zippo I can Pick it up at around instead of the 24" I said before it will do it at 28 - 29"
Learning to use this third sound is part of what you will have to Learn if you use this Machine for prospecting where the ground
has very little trash, But Learning to use it in the Relic mode will help you to get very very deep targets in the beach
or on clean land,
There is more but Please learn these settings so it becomes like Breathing and do the test above with all differant Targets,

IF you have the Ground balance set to Lock when you turn it on the G/B will be set to 83,
IF you have the G/B set to ground and turn it on it will be set to 50 then lock it.

Always Set the G/B to Lock then turn it on so it is set to 83 for doing your air tests
Don't try to do air tests with the Tracking/Groud balance set to Ground because the MXT will ground Balance out the Target.

Anyway I'm pleased you started to find things straight off, Weldone for that

Please don't try to use it with the setting where you have it set where it is just starting to sound rough
for a few days of actual searching Like I DID, because you will dig Loads of junk and Hate it Like I did
use it for a couple of times with the first settings and in a few days if you are happy with how things are going
then use the Gain Knob to suit you confidence

LUKE, I hope this helps and please let me Know how you get on, good luck

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176712.html#msg176712

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:12:31 pm by Ridge Runner »
Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: