[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Cali HunterTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

80.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT
« on: April 25, 2010, 08:22:32 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Shocked     I'm still learning to use my MXT . So please excuse my ignorance  Undecided . My question is....What is ground balancing ? How do I do it ? What are the advantages ? Exhausted

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg87539.html#msg87539

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 08:26:40 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The ground all around us is not of an identical consistency everywhere on earth in terms of mineralization, organic content and moisture. Unfortunately, when searching for metal in this medium, those things can mask targets so each must be eliminated for a pure metal return. Ground balance tunes your detector for the conditions that exist where you are standing at the moment. Move 30 feet, and they can often change. Thus, automatic ground balance was invented. Manual ground balance is just as effective but you really do need to check it now and again to be sure your soil hasn't changed since you last tuned your machine.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg87541.html#msg87541

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline K5EXX
Remember POW/MIA
Bronze Member

Remember POW/MIA
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

580.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Whites DFX E-Series
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:09:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

With your detector you will first air balance. This is where the detector says to hold it at waist height and press enter. When you do that, the detector is being prepared for ground balancing by measuring the temperature and other variables that affect electronic circuits. After it beeps, you lower it to the ground at the height that you will be searching (close to the ground), and press enter again. This will ground balance the detector. Check your Whites manual that came with your detector and it should have this same detailed description for Air/Ground balancing.   Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg91930.html#msg91930

Mark - K5EXX
Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war

{alt}

Offline Dayhiker
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

250.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites MXT, Bullseye II Pinpointer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Cali Hunter,

I am also new and using the MXT. My understanding is ...............

The ground balance is referred to as TRAC toggle control on the MXT.  Covered on pages 16 and 17 in the MXT manual ( printed on 5/2008 PN 621-0462 ).  With the switch in the "Ground" position when you are first starting out,  pump the coil up and down near the ground a few times.  That is all you need to do to ground balance your machine.  I believe this is also demonstrated on the DVD video.

If you are in salt water beach, or high salt / alkali conditions us the "Salt" toggle position. 

The "Lock" is used in situations of extreme mineralization, or a large area of man made iron in the ground.  Balance the machine on good ground that is generally representative of the area your searching and the switch the toggle to "Lock".  You can switch back and forth between "Ground" and "Lock" to update the "Auto TRAC" or "Ground Balance" on the fly.

I haven't had to use any toggle position other than "Ground"  thus far.  Hope that helps.

Happy Hunting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg92899.html#msg92899

Dayhiker

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:45 am »
Go Up Go Down

Automatic ground balancing can kill your hunting though.  Be careful and use it wisely.  You can ground balance iron out of the detector with a few pumps, but you can also ground balance silver out with a few pumps, or gold.  Once you ground balance everything out, you won't get a signal at all.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg92901.html#msg92901

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:07:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by bigwater
Automatic ground balancing can kill your hunting though.  Be careful and use it wisely.  You can ground balance iron out of the detector with a few pumps, but you can also ground balance silver out with a few pumps, or gold.  Once you ground balance everything out, you won't get a signal at all.

Automatic ground balancing is not the culprit in the cases you describe. As ground condition changes, the automatic circuitry senses it and changes the same way you would if you did it manually - just faster. You might be thinking that ground balance is the same or similar to discrimination, which is not the case at all. Ground balance reacts to the molecular level condition of the soil and is independent of the circuitry that senses the metal in the soil.

The automatic function is superior in performing in areas where the mineralization changes from one spot to the next such as in a swampy area or a desert. Odd that both extremes should ultimately have such similar characteristics. The ground balancing circuit senses the background noise that is generated, determines the way to eliminate it and sets the ground balance with a delay rather than changing it instantly. The delay is to allow the detector time to determine if the noise is caused by rust leeching from a steel or iron object rather than soil mineralization. If a target is detected, no change is normally made in the ground balance until it continues for a long period of time (milliseconds really are long in computer time) and then it adjusts.

If you rely on manual ground balance, moving a few yards from where you balanced it last can cause some problems but they're not so bad that they mask real targets. That's down to other factors normally.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg92996.html#msg92996

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline bigwater
Silver Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's GMT
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:38:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the detailed explanation GD.  I'm just going by my experience with my GMT, which granted is not that great.  I've only had the thing for six months or so, and I still find myself using the manual balancing because I can't seem to figure out how to automatically ground balance out garbage without eventually automatically ground balancing out targets.  I've watched the DVD that came with the thing so many times that it made my eyes bleed, but still haven't figured it out.  Your explanation gave me a few things to think about though, so maybe I'll get this thing figured out eventually.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg93009.html#msg93009

Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

You can read about it in some of Garrett's and White's patents at the US Patent Office web site. They describe it in greater details in their abstracts on several of their newer patents. Fisher patents, too, but not so clearly.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13838.msg93032.html#msg93032

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: