[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MuscoeTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites, Mine Lab, Fisher
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:01:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

It has been many years since I have been metal detecting but I'm retired now and need a hobby.  I got a new V3i a couple weeks ago and am still trying to figure it out.  Have found a couple new coins but nothing great.  My dealer "Tip of the Mitt Metal Detectors" has worked with me once on a hunt.  He set up a specialty program for me in Coins only so I could get a better idea of the sounds of different coins.  In the mean time I'm trying to hunt as much as I can, which isn't much.  I'm more interested in "Relics" than just coins, so as soon as I get comfortable I'll delve into that area.  It's been a long time since I've metal detector and with the new machines I'm practically a beginner again.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222516.html#msg222516

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 11:44:53 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Muscoe welcome from NT Australia , i myself am new to this hobby , the advice i got early on was learn your machine , this can only come with practice , try burying coins of different metals and sizes a few inches under the soil and listen to what the machine is telling you with practice you will have a good idea of what is buried . cheers Mick  Detecting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222520.html#msg222520

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites, Mine Lab, Fisher
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 12:41:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks for the response.  It's going to take me a while to get used to the machine but it will all come with time.  How are things down in Australia?  We are into our spring here so that must mean you are going into your fall season.  Spring and fall have always been the best time to hunt for me.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222573.html#msg222573

Offline au fever
Mod
Silver Member

Thank you84

Activity
0%

Australia

3950.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites MXT Pro , minelab GPX 4000
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:39 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Muscoe i live not far from Darwin this is the tropics , we are just coming into the dry season which means plenty of sun and little rain , ideal for detecting . cheers Mick

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222574.html#msg222574

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites, Mine Lab, Fisher
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 05:27:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I didn't realise that.  I received my education in the American school system.  I would think there are allot of things I have been taught that are incorrect about the southern hemisphere!  LOL  Hope you are having more luck in your TX'ing than I am.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222636.html#msg222636

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 01:54:29 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Muscoe
He set up a specialty program for me in Coins only so I could get a better idea of the sounds of different coins.

This is good for a first timer but horrible for learning your machine. The advice I am about to give you is valid no matter what kind of machine you have.

First, get out your manual. Set your machine in the all metal mode. That means zero programming and zero discrimination. It will detect any and all metal that it passes over.

Next, set your ground balance. Pass your coil over the ground until you find a very silent spot that contains no metal. Adjust your ground balance according to your manual.

Then, invert an empty cardboard box that is at least 14 inches tall in front of you as you get ready sit in your favorite easy chair. Place a notebook and pencil nearby. Collect a variety of coins and other metal objects. Get lighters, keys, key chains, rings, watches, hip flasks and anything else you can find. Also, get a wooden or plastic yardstick and keep it near to hand.

Sit down and relax. One by one, place the items on the box and record the results for each one as displayed on your detector and the distance from the coil when you lose the signal. Before you go from the first item to the next, adjust your sensitivity and again record your results. Then, adjust your discrimination until your target is no longer detectable. Record all this data about each item that you place on the box for testing.

Now, while still in the all metal mode, set sensitivity to zero and discrimination to zero and go use your machine in your back yard. Compare each target beep you receive to your results as recorded and see if you can guess what you have found. Go very slowly as you sweep your coil. This is not a race. This is a test to determine how deeply you can detect a target in real dirt. As you dig each item, look at both the metal type and shape. An aluminum disk, for example, might be the same size as a quarter but will sound much larger. As your experience and education in this hobby grows, you will understand why.

Experiment with your machine in its basic mode before you try the fancy programs. That coin program might be accidentally eliminating gold rings. It may not include gold coins in the return pattern. Gold nuggets might be eliminated in favor of the lowly nickle. Learn your machine before you simply trust it.

You'll thank me later.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg222669.html#msg222669

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:56:15 am by GoldDigger1950 »

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites, Mine Lab, Fisher
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD1950:

Thank you very much for your info.  I've been gone for a while and just got back home.  Very wise advice!  I haven't had much time to experiment with it yet but am looking forward to a good summer with it.  Now I'll have to find a hunting buddy.  I don't like to hunt alone.  You never know what could happen and could need the extra help.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg224502.html#msg224502

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 12:14:19 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Muscoe, my test results for all of my detectors are sill close to hand. A rainy day makes a great time to set up a notebook for your testing. Each of my detectors has its own notebook. I have a page for each item and a column of results based on settings.

One thing I did find out that surprised me is that when I had two of the same model of Bounty Hunter, the results varied greatly even with identical settings. From that moment on, I went to the all metal mode in all of my machines and dig every target no matter what readings I get. If it beeps, I dig it. I don't believe we can ever rely on the computers inside of those machines of ours. The one to trust is between your headphones.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg224545.html#msg224545

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

65.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Whites, Mine Lab, Fisher
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:25:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD1950

In the past when I was hunting I did the same.  If I was in a park or school yard I would use the coins/jewelry mode when just wanting to play around.  When I was looking for relics or thought their might be deep silver I always used the all metal mode.  I'll do the same now for relics but would like to find a good setting for deep coins and jewelry other than the preset.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg224563.html#msg224563

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 01:11:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

Unfortunately, the perfect analysis of buried objects still eludes us. A lot of machines can get close enough but not exact. For example, too many rings appear to be pull tabs. All nickles appear as pull tabs to even the most sophisticated computers. Chains disappear to us and this can even hide larger medallions or gemstones which are in thin gold settings -- this happens at the very lowest discrimination levels. Set your machine to ignore foil and you can miss dimes.

This is why I suggested testing and keeping notebook records of the results. At the end of your testing, you will absolutely know how your machine reacts to each type of object in air. I know a lot of people truly believe that there is a difference in soil (and there can be) but mostly the results are remarkably similar.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,36319.msg224712.html#msg224712

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: