[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline nickel_n
Mod
Gold Member

Thank you356

Activity
5%
Male
Australia
Referrals: 0

6065.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows XP
Windows XP
Chrome 41.0.2272.101
Chrome 41.0.2272.101

Awards

MXT All Pro,EagleSL,Spectrum,XLT,DFX.Garrett Seahunter markII,SD2000,GT16000
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 10:50:42 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Melbhunter
Well after the hour I got in yesterday, I decided to head back this morning. As I said, this spot has been hammered by me (and I'm pretty darn good with the E-Trac), the XP and also had my ACE 250 cherry picking the goldies. I spent 2 hours there this morning before the dog walkers arrived and decided I'd dig only the VID's that showed Australian spendables (tested at the site first). What I found has gone further to confirm to me that this machine is something quite special. Not only did it find the coins pictured (just over $30), I was stunned when it also found a junk target after re-sweeping my hole. Quite apparent to me that the E-Trac had nulled out on these targets and I've been costing myself a lot of good finds.

Anyway, pretty stoked, looking forward to experimenting some more

cheers

Well done.
But by the volume of your finds It looks like you cut off the 5 and 10 cent peaces.
Test there response under your coil before you go out next time.
You will be surprised how many there are out there.
Also small gold rings. There VDI. (On my DFX) is just before the 5 cents VDI
I believe it will be very similar on yours.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg294442.html#msg294442

The Diggers Oath
We swear by the Southern Cross to stand by each other and fight to defend our rights and liberties.

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

And use the Relic Mode with the Trigger in the middle and set the Disc to about 2.8 to 2.9 max 2.8 is best and run with the Tracking Locked, when you pump the coil to Ground Balance it stop the Coils at about 4" from the ground from 8" down to 4" from the ground and Lock it then turn the gain up to where it is unstable and then back it off so it is right on the Edge, and then you will be really Cooking, Ok.

Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg294444.html#msg294444

Offline MelbhunterTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 41.0.2272.101
Chrome 41.0.2272.101

Awards

MXT Pro, E-Trac, Ace 250
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 12:54:12 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nickel_n -  thanks for the tip on the 5c/gold - yes I admit to not checking 5c or 10c VDI, I'll take your advice.

Ridge Runner - ok I'll play with that setup, hopefully we get some soft ground soon!

cheers guys

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg294730.html#msg294730

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 05:47:50 pm »
Go Up Go Down

nickel_n -  thanks for the tip on the 5c/gold - yes I admit to not checking 5c or 10c VDI, I'll take your advice.

Ridge Runner - ok I'll play with that setup, hopefully we get some soft ground soon!

cheers guys

OK MH, Tell Us How these past 2 months have gone for you, The 2 times you went out you Killed it so you must be up to the $150 mark by Now,

Good Luck.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg298534.html#msg298534

Offline MelbhunterTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

30.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Chrome 43.0.2357.130
Chrome 43.0.2357.130

Awards

MXT Pro, E-Trac, Ace 250
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:48 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi RR, been out and about for sure. I've spent the last weeks visiting all the sites I had most luck with the eTrac. Spendables-wise (still a bit of a goldie snob) I'm well ahead of the $150, amazed at how I'm pulling coins where the eTrac was worked hard. I have to admit, I'm not getting as many pre-decs as with the eTrac but maybe the eTrac got them all at the spots I'm trying.

Next stop is off to the Triangle to try out propecting mode, been doing a bit of research and have a couple of sites planned - any tips on the coil?

cheers again

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg298567.html#msg298567

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2
Mozilla compatible
Mozilla compatible

Awards
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 06:14:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi RR, been out and about for sure. I've spent the last weeks visiting all the sites I had most luck with the eTrac. Spendables-wise (still a bit of a goldie snob) I'm well ahead of the $150, amazed at how I'm pulling coins where the eTrac was worked hard. I have to admit, I'm not getting as many pre-decs as with the eTrac but maybe the eTrac got them all at the spots I'm trying.

Next stop is off to the Triangle to try out propecting mode, been doing a bit of research and have a couple of sites planned - any tips on the coil?

cheers again

Cool, Sounds good to me, Great

If you are not pulling Deeper or older coins then Try slowing your Sweep speed down,, That's the Key to finding deeper Targets, If you are using the 12 / 300 Standard Coil with the Gain on 6.5 to 7 I have seen the MXT pull Pre Dec Half Pennies at 13 and A Half Inches, On Video's on YT you often see Our American Buddies swinging away quite fast, That's Ok for Coin Hunts But if you want to dig the Deeper Stuff you need to slow down to about 3/4 of your normal Search Speed, Ok. With that coil and set up it will see a Zippo Lighter between 24 to 29 Inches using the 3rd Tone system,  Great

As for going to the Triangle Don't be scared to Turn down the Gain Because Out there it can Punish the most expensive Machines, But with A Little effort the MXT can And Will Find the Gold Others Have Missed,

As for Coils,, I just bought my 3rd MXT ( The All Pro ) and that Machine comes with the 10" D2 Coil (DD), It has the Sensitivity to pick up my Bare Hand at 5 to 6 inches when you Turn up the Gain and it will see test bits smaller than 0.02 grams,, That's about the size of a Grain of Raw Sugar, It's a Great coil and for Tailing Piles and Mullock Heaps it will give you The Best Possible shot at finding the Good Stuff, But In Rough Ground with twigs and scrub The 6X10 DD Eclipse Coil would be The Industry Standard for Prospecting,
Next I would Go with the 5.3 (6 inch) round Concentric Coil, Although a lot of people swear by the Little 6x4 Shooter Coil But it does not have the Depth and will not see things beyond 4 to 5 inches maybe a fraction more,, But the 5.3 will see Coins down to 8 to 10 inches in good ground and it is Wicked in Junk Filled sites,
So You need the 5.3 and the Next One I would get is the 6X10 DD Eclipse Coil its Great for Prospecting and The MXT was Actually Built with the 6X10 Coil In mind but Whites decided to go with the 9.5/950 Concentric coil instead,

Here's A Link about the MXT and the 5.3 Coil and it is Really Impressive, 

Please Register or Login

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/mxt_stories

Right there are Two Ways you can do this,  If you find your self in junk filled sites or around old Mining Camps I would use the Relic Mode, Set your gain at about 2 and find a clean bit of Ground with No Junk  and Ground Balance the Machine and Set It to LOCK and if you start to get Ground Noise just hit the Grab Button to up Date the GB, If the Ground is Changing fast switch to Tracking,
Once you have Ground Balance Turn Your Gain up as high as possible where it starts to chatter then Back it of a Fraction to smooth it out and run with the Threshold only just Audible, Now Set your DISC AT 2, You will Dig some Iron but If you run it any Higher you will Loose Small Gold that Is Iron Stained and Specie Type Leaf Gold etc, Check your Targets On The Meter and dig All The Plus Sign VDI's and Maybe a few -5s just to make sure you are not missing any gold that is Iron Stained, Not forgetting that Highly Mineralized Ground Can and will Drag Down The VDI Numbers making a Good Target Look/Sound Like a Bad One.

Your Other Choice it to Use the Prospect Mode, here your MXT becomes a GMT Goldmaster But at A Lower Frequency which will work better in Hot ground which is why The MXT is The Best Multi-Purpose Prospecting Machine Ever Made.
So Again Find your self a Clean Patch, Turn it on and set the Gain at 2, make sure the Machine is in Tracking and Ground Balance it and Switch the GB To LOCK,  Now Turn the Gain Up to the point where it Starts to chatter and Back it off as Before, After a Bit of practice using this Mode you might find that you can run the Machine right on the Edge where it is just starting to Chatter, But don't do that for Now.

Now if you are In Medium ground set the DISC / VSAT Control to about 3 and sweep the coil over the Ground, IF your Threshold Starts to Break up or Disappear The try the VSAT at 3.5 to 4 and if that don't work then 4 to 5 and so On, But if you Have to go above 7 The drop the Gain by One Number IE you have to Raise the VSAT to 8 and you have the Gain at 10 then go to 9 or if you have it at 9.5 go to 8.5,  and If you have real Bad ground Turn up the VSAT and reduce the Gain to around 7 ish maybe you might have to go Lower, REMEMBER with these Two Controls If you Add To One You Have to take Away from the Other because they work against each other but there is a Balancing Act Right through their Whole Range, The Perfect setting in an Ideal world is A High Gain and A Lower VSAT setting But Prospecting is never That Kind to us,, But most Important,, If you are Finding Small Buck Shot then you have the Machine Running real Good and Depending on which coil you use you can find .22 Bullets at 12"/A Foot Deep

Now Don't Panic if you have to Reduce the Gain Because In OZ we are a PI/GPX loving Bunch but that MXT and that Little 5.3 Coil Will See The Gold That the PI's Don't See and there is Only One PI that can find the Stuff that the GPX's Miss,

So Go and Read that Link and read it again and again, til it sticks in your mind,

RECAP,,, 5.3 1st choice and then the 6X10 DD Eclipse Coil,  Make sure that there is Tape around the Coils Sealing the Join where of the Coil Cover where it meets the Coil, Because if you get Dirt between the Coil and the Cover you will start Getting False Signals and the That will save you having to pull them apart and having to Clean them, On white coils I use white insulation tape and black on black etc,

Good Luck and I hope this Helps, Let us know how it works out and Show me The GOLD  Great

Give us a Call if you have any questions, Ok

Good luck. 

Posted on: June 29, 2015, 05:38:58 am
PLEASE NOTE, In Some Cases, Instead of Raising the VSAT Sometimes by just Lowering the Gain A Little can Make the Threshold Behave, and that Running Higher VSAT settings can take away some of the Depth, so if you have the Gain on 10 then try it at 9 or 8.5, If That does not work then turn it back up to where it was and increase the VSAT, but once you go over 7+ then start to lower the Gain by no more than one number at a time and Try it Each time you Adjust it, Ok

Good Luck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,60079.msg298580.html#msg298580

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: