[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline pistolpeteTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

excal 800,bhid,dual field,sea hunter2,1280,xterra 70
« on: September 08, 2009, 06:34:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

My new Dual Field came in last Friday and I took it out for a spin yesterday. Initial observations were, holy cow, look at the size of the coil! I knew it was going to have a 12" coil, but I was still surprised by how big it was especially when I mounted it on one of our dive shafts. The control box looks very similar to my old PI Pro machine with the addition of a new pulse delay control. My buddy and I took out the hookah to our favourite beach in the morning and this, by the way, was also the maiden voyage of the hookah unit. I'll do a little write up on the hookah at a later time. The first thing I noticed about the detector was that it floats, really floats! I have mixed feelings about this. When mounted on the dive shaft, it floats perfectly horizontal in the water. This is great when you are putting on all your gear, getting your hoses straightened out, starting up the hookah. We were in shallow water 4 or 5 feet deep so when we were ready to dive, I just grabbed the floating machine and went under. I set the controls to the preset marks and turned the pulse delay just past the on position. I should mention that we detect in fresh water. I had no trouble holding the machine down at all and really didn't even notice it's tendency to float while I was searching. I dug some faint signals that previously went undetected by my other vlf and pi machines. To be perfectly honest, I dug LOTS of previosly undetected targets! My partner told me that whenever he got about 15' from me his machine would go crazy from the interference from my machine. The floating issue with the detector became apparent when I started to dig my first target and wanted to fan with both hands. I let go of the detector and it went straight to the top. I might not have been as productive as I could have been as I had to hold onto the machine with one hand, but I still managed 2 gold rings, a pile of wheaties, and other odds and ends. 2 thumbs up for the new Surf Dual Field from White's. A lanyard for my wrist next time to see if it helps with the floating! This is definately the deepest detecting machine I have used and for me the depth and ease of use outweigh the floating issue which I think should not be hard to solve.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg48672.html#msg48672

Offline Seeker
Pull Tab

I love THunting
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

45.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 09:50:54 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have the Surf PI Pro and the Dual Field. Had the Pro for years, and did not think I would find a deeper machine. I, too, hunt fresh water and would not take the DF to a lot of beaches I hunt, but where I know the goodies are deep, another story. This machine almost goes deeper than I want to fan. Since I fan with my right hand only, and have the machine in my left, anchoring me, the coil flotation is a non issue.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg53509.html#msg53509

Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Offline t-swing
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
British Indian Ocean Territory

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

stinger
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 03:27:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi! Pete. It tis I T-swing. Anyhoo you got me so interested in this Surf Dual Md and I see it can also does land as well I really think that u have sold me after reading all the spes. I thank u for the Info. Will keep in touch . I'm going to a club meeting in January to familiarize myself and ask around. What coil do u find better with the terrain of the lakes here.  Thanks T

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg65727.html#msg65727

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 04:36:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hey T. The dual field is hardwired for 1 coil only and that is the factory 12". As it is a PI machine, it has no discrimination and not a good choice for land hunting as it will pick up everything. As I said before, if you have a beach that is fairly clean as far as trash goes, this machine will pay in spades with gold and silver finds in the water. You will need a good scoop and you will get tired from digging to the depths that this machine is capable of. You may find it easier to use a snorkel in the shallow water and fan the bottom with your hand instead of using a scoop. I dont know your experience with water hunting, but my partner and I use a hookah for underwater detecting as well as tanks. If you are unsure as to what I am talking about, you can view some videos that we made on the subject. Let me know if you need more info....Pete

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg65735.html#msg65735

Offline t-swing
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Female
British Indian Ocean Territory

70.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

stinger
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks pisto: I be just be a waddin guy, never tried scuba or anything like that and yes I have watched the videos on hookah. Interesting. I've seen the Anderson tape to, good video. What would you suggest as for a scoop plastic, steel with mag, stainless - pole. I'm thinking wet, dry suit & of course the snorkel. 30yrs. ago a little different. "meaning" do you need any special permits for the water or do you need to go to City hall or the Parks dept. .  Good hunting T.   

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg65811.html#msg65811

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

No permits needed for the water. Historical sites are off limits. Dont know where you're from but no detecting allowed in the city of Niagara Falls,Queenston, or Niagara Parkway from Niagara-on the Lake to Fort Erie. Provincial Parks, must get permission from Park Superintendent. As far as a scoop. aluminum or stainless steel. Dont scrimp here, get the best you can afford. Look for heavy duty bracing, large handle diameter. Aluminum is light and if built right, will last a long time. Good names to look for are RTG, Sunspot, Nutall. In the summer you can use a shortie but in the fall and spring you will appreciate a full suit or dry suit. There are some good deals on Kijiji and ebay on used suits. Dont forget the mask. Go to a dive shop for this item and get fitted for the proper mask......Pete

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg65898.html#msg65898

Offline Alan Hassell
Bronze Member

Banned
Academics are Androids
Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
United Kingdom

2530.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:44:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Whites did the same thing years ago when they produced the new surfmaster PI it had the same problem as you have a bouyant coil.
For a Company like whites to make the same mistake again releasing products designed for use in water with bouyant coils is diabolical.
I would write to whites and complain about it as you were probably under the impression the coil would have neutral bouyancy and was one of the reasons you bought the machine.
Maybe if someone brings this to their attention they will replace the coil for you with a non bouyant one which will be ideal for diving and shallow water detecting too. You will probably have a far greater return wading than diving too hookahs are ok off the end of piers not in the shallows like 4 to 5 feet if you can keep your head above water thats all you need.  good luck sounds like you have a good machine.  Oh in the meantime try filling an old sock with sand and tie it to the stem with the sock on top of your coil it worked for me while i was testing the surfmaster PI it should for you too.
Just for the record whites did use non bouyant coils of other surfmasters after they had made the initial mistake and it would be in their best interest to do the same with this one if you point the fault out to them.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg65921.html#msg65921

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:58:08 am by Alan Hassell »
Offline Beachcomber
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Sovereign GT C Scope 550 Minelab Quattro Compadre
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi

I read somewhere that is was useful to fill the undershaft with some gravel. Idea

But I would like to learn two things from experienced users of these units :

-Is there a significant difference between the PI PRO and the Duakky? (apart from the natural gain in depth due to the larger coil) ?

-Would it be deeper-or better- than a Sovereign GT in the all metal pinpoint mode (I'm in the 15" range for the deepest european coins and 18K rings)

Thanks

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg73554.html#msg73554

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

150.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Beachcomber. I honestly can't compare the White's to the Sov because I have never used a Sov. I do own an Excal and have used a 15" WOT on it and can tell you in confidence that the Dual Field does go deeper. I find,under my hunting conditions, that the Dual Field is more stable than the PI Pro. I have owned the PI Pro so I am speaking from experience. I have dug targets that started simply as a slight, and I do mean slight, rise in the threshold and found them at 24". Underwater detecting is much different than above water detecting. When underwater, you hear your regulator bubbles, the headphones dont quite fit the same,etc. You have to really listen for the changes in threshold underwater. Hope this helps......Pete

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg73632.html#msg73632

Offline LostinFla
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

minelab sovereign
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:57 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hmm... I live in Florida and own a White's dual field and a Goldquest SS. I have NEVER found a coin sized target or gold ring at 24 inches deep and I have very good hearing. Maybe if I used a rubber tape measure I could get more depth?  Idea

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7781.msg125742.html#msg125742

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: