[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 09:24:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by redrain22
.... i didn't know that it could be updated

As some of their people have stated basically you could end up owning that machine for life because of the up dates
and many people already have had their V3s reprogrammed to the same as the V3i, not only that unlike all other machines
in that price range you can if you want to Change almost anything within the settings which you can not do with the E-Trac
etc and there is well over 16 different coil available for the V3i so the only real limits are the ones you choose to set.
I'd say go for it, the last machine that you could adjust like this was the Whites Eagle II SL 90, but dont let that bother you
it just means that you are not being restricted by factory presets and weather you use them is your choice and not theirs
Which I think is real nice of them to give you that choice, but you dont have to use them.

AU

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184750.html#msg184750

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:36:17 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

Sea Hunter II , Makro JeoTech Led
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:54 am »
Go Up Go Down

i hunt for coins and military relics......my budget 1000 1400...

Posted on: June 30, 2011, 09:06:41 AM
i have heard so many good reviews about the v3i Ridge Runner.... i didn't know that it could be updated

If that is your budget then the Whites V3 or V3i and maybe the Minelab e trac
Both are good, e trac a bit cheaper, but it's easier to use right off the bat.  The V3 is harder to master but in the long run, I think, it will out perform (slightly) better than the e trac

I think that if your planning to giving this hobby everything you got.. go with the V3.... If you just plan on Md'ing on the weekends and don't want to be bothered with the learning curve, and don't mind missing the clasp end of a silver earring at 9 inches, and save a few bucks to get the wife her own ace250, then go with the e trac

You don't need the Stradivarius to play the violin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184755.html#msg184755

EarthKinEnergy.com  :We bring green ideas to Light!"

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 10:52:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

One or two things to remember with the E-Trac is it hates iron so nulling out is a big problem
Which effects the amount of ground that you can cover, this really shows up when you want to
grid an area and cover it completely, also with the E-Trac you can get between 4 to 12 sets of
numbers when it IDs targets which is one of the worst things that can happen with a detector,
I asked many people how they found it and they all said the same thing just ignor the meter
well for over £1200+ / $1800 thats not exceptable, why put a meter on something if you are
surposed to ignor it,
Then the next problem it has a great 11" DD coil on it, So going over a trashy site should be
ok for it, well after griding and area for quite a few hours most of the finds were junk because
of the meter readings, So the next day I when back over the same area with another detector
with a different coil  and found a lot of things that the E-Trac said was junk or missed completely.
I worked in freezing tempretures for a month to get the money for that thing and it got whooped
buy a machine that was 60% cheaper, MineLab make some beautiful machines but that is'nt one of them,
the speed your have to work at with that machine is like wearing leg irons.
It does have the power we crave but if you cant get it to go in the ground then it is not worth having
and so many others do have that same kind of power and more if you are brave enough to use it
Whites, Fishers and Garrett and Tesoro will smoke that machine and get you home by tea time,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184769.html#msg184769

Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2011, 01:21:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Tesoro is a great cheap MD.. we have a Dealer here in town and that guy finds everything.  Well I should say he is out everyday for a couple of hours so he better find something...

I was not aware of the problems with the e trac....I love this site.. a treasure of information here and experience... The guys that use the e trac here don't complain of such problems, but they might be a little embarrassed with the MD.. to speak up..

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184813.html#msg184813

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 02:03:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The E-Trac is a fantastic machine, In clean ground it can't be faulted but in junk filled sites it a whole new game
Programming the E-Trac has to be one of the most simple systems there is, and alot of people have alot of success
with them,
Over here in the UK with thousands of years of humans has made using the E-Trac a bit harder than a single frequency
machine and also if you try and use it in gold prospecting areas the depth can be very limited due to the ground
conditions and as to where the machine sets the ground balance, It does not have a prospecting program as it was never
ment to be used for prospecting as you have no say in the ground balance or any idea what it is doing or where it is set,
Ground Balance control or being able to lock it is one of the most important factors to all detectorists followed by the Gain/
sensitivity knob or switch and if you look at the Minelab x-terra 705 and see what a useable machine that is and the shear
concept of it puts it in to a class where only a few detectors belong,
That being said brings me to the point that just because X model is the dearist does'nt make it the best. As I have quoted
in my MXT Help posts you must by the machine that covers these 3 things and if you stick to this you will never buy a machine
and then regret it afterwards, 1) Buy a machine that suits your area where you Hunt the most. 2) Buy the machine that suits
your needs. 3) Buy the machine that suits your maximum budget, and if you are lucky enough that machine just might be the
brand you like,

Reasons NOT TO BUY> 1) Because of pier preasure, 2) just coz your mate likes them, 3) just because the review in you countries
Treasure mag says it's the Dog's Dinner But, Remember this forever NO MAG will ever write a bad review because if they did
then the Detector Companies would never give them another Machine to test and that means loss of sales.
4) Never be the first to buy the Latest all singing all Dancing machine because it has not proved its self and you become the
test pilot. 5) And not just because you want the Latest thing,

All Detector Companies Make Great Machines, But they also make Brilliant Machines Too
I hope this helps and if you need help just yell and i'll be there, HH

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184831.html#msg184831

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 06:52:15 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline Viracocha
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

1790.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:46:27 pm »
Go Up Go Down

yeah.. like what he said!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg184847.html#msg184847

Offline redrain22Topic starter
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

775.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

garret ace 250 whites coinmaster seriese 2 fisher f4 fisher f75
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 10:16:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK thanks for the help I'm really leaning towards the V3I  i really think its the best choice for me Smiley

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg185029.html#msg185029

Make your dream a reality!!!

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 10:31:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK thanks for the help I'm really leaning towards the V3I  i really think its the best choice for me Smiley

Good for you Red,

out of the two we have spoke of here they are both great machines but the V3i is a better choice because
of all I have said and if you dont know the ground type or it contents the you need a good all round
and the V3i is a Brilliant all rounder, and because the ground makes so many problems for us that is why
when you look at peoples Avatars you see a big list of machines there, as for me I cheat I have 3 machines
and 2 of them are nearly identicle, but it cost me a heap to get it right, HH,

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg185030.html#msg185030

Offline chewy
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

155.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites spectra v3i/garrett Gti 2500/surf pi dual field
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:59:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

The v3i is a very good choice. I have used many detectors such as Gti 2500 and the v3i is a much deeper detector. The proprams provided by whites are ok, but after you use the v3i for a while you will tweek these programs to get better depth or you can try the programs provided by fox,majic and others on this site. It takes awhile to become very proficient with the v3i. Good luck.      Chewy.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26274.msg210851.html#msg210851

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: