[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline SirLukeTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

305.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

White's MXT300, Treasure Hunter Select MD-3019
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 12:09:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Ridge Runner
Luke, With those settings the Low tone is Iron and the High tone will be non-ferrous as in coins, rings, pull tabs, Bullits, ETC
This is the only mode that I use, BECAUSE.

The next time you go out set your machine as before then turn the gain up so the treshold starts to sound rough then
back it of a tiny bit so it sounds smoother where it is on the verge of sounding rough,

Now LOOK where the gain is set and make a not of that in your mind, NOW if you flick the trigger forward or put it
in to coins and Jewellry mode, DON'T touch anything here how rough it is now sounding, SO remembering where the
gain is, Turn the gain down until the threshold goes smooth right on the very edge of it trying to be rough and look
at the gain Knob and see the differance between where it is now and how much you have turned it down.
so the first settings I gave you are the best for Depth,

And those first settings are the deepist and they will match the prospecting mode fairly closely.
In that Relic mode I can pick up my Zippo Lighter AT 24" Now hears the Secrete with this machine

Set the machine as I first told you, Then Turn the Gain up like before so it starts to become unstable
then back it off as before so it is smooth and is just on the boarder of being rough,and remember these settings.

Now turn the machine OFF, Put it down on the ground with the coil at 90* to the ground, Now turn the machine back on
and turn the Gain right up to the limit where you had it before, If you have a large coin or a Zippo even better wave it
in front of the coil at around 16" and keep moving it away til it stops making the high tone,
Here you will notice there is A third tone that the MXT makes it is an all metal sound and it will do that for another 4 to 6 inches
further away, So doing this with my Zippo I can Pick it up at around instead of the 24" I said before it will do it at 28 - 29"
Learning to use this third sound is part of what you will have to Learn if you use this Machine for prospecting where the ground
has very little trash, But Learning to use it in the Relic mode will help you to get very very deep targets in the beach
or on clean land,
There is more but Please learn these settings so it becomes like Breathing and do the test above with all differant Targets,

IF you have the Ground balance set to Lock when you turn it on the G/B will be set to 83,
IF you have the G/B set to ground and turn it on it will be set to 50 then lock it.

Always Set the G/B to Lock then turn it on so it is set to 83 for doing your air tests
Don't try to do air tests with the Tracking/Groud balance set to Ground because the MXT will ground Balance the Target.

Anyway I'm pleased you started to find things straight off, Weldone for that

Please don't try to use it with the setting where you have it set where it is just starting to sound rough
for a few day of actual searching Like I DID, because you will dig Loads of junk and Hate it Like I did
use it for a couple of times with the first settings and in a few days if you are happy with how things are going
then use the Gain Knob to suit you confidence

LUKE, I hope this helps and please let me Know how you get on, good luck

AU

Can't wait to get out again!  Thanks a lot!

Luke

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg176719.html#msg176719

Luke Naliborski
2012 Stats
1-Indian Head
137 - Memorial
10 - Wheaties
19 - Jefferson Nickels
34 - Rosie Dimes
1 - Silver Dime
14 - Wash Quarters
1 - Kennedy Half
3 - Military Button
Oddest Find - German Military Medal 1849
Oldest Coin Find - Indian Head 1883

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:59 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Because the MXTs does not have manual ground balance you can make it go deeper by ground balancing and holding the
coil up off the ground meaning when you lower the coil to the ground stop the coil at about 4 or 5 inches above the
ground and then lock it, you will notice that once locked and your lower the coil to the ground that you will get a slight
raise in threshold which it is slightly more positive and the reason why people like manual ground balance
Either way you can set it up the same way as you would if you had manual control.

At this point I now turn up the gain to where it starts to chatter and then just back it off slightly so the threshold becomes
stable, The other way to set the gain is to start of around 7.5 and keep sneeking it up until getting too much junk come through
the disc setting, But For peace of mind just turn the gain up til it starts to chatter and back it off so it is right on the edge
of being stable and then back it of just a tiny bit more and this will serve you very well, and if you are doing big areas every
so often find a clean patch of ground and leave the gain setting in the position you have been hunting in, switch back into ground
pump the coil a few times and switch back into lock again, and you are good to go again, when you get to understand this machine
you will start to run it right on the edge of being stable, but I have stopprd doing that because being stable is the key
The reason I say lock the ground balance is because in junk filled sites you do not want the MXT to track the junk or in other words
ground balance the junk out because you will loose good targets, only use the ground tracking in places where it is hard
to ground balance the machine or in very clean areas.

As for the pinpoint mode be warned that this is a powerful mode and will blow ya ears off if there is big junk just under the surface
if I find a target I move the coil away to one side then pull the trigger and creep up to the target and taking a mentle note
of how big an area the signal covers this way i can work out if it is a beer can or a coin or a ring,
In using pinpoint If I want to shrink the search area I will sometime just go past the target and release the trigger and then
pull it again so it desensatizes the pinpoint mode and that will help me work out how big the target is and also pinpoint
the target better,

I hopes this helps and please let us know how you get on and if you are stuck, just call. HH

AU

Posted on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:55 PM
One other thing to remember if you get too many signals come through just turn your gain down
and clean out the good stuf off the top and turn her up and go again

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg179499.html#msg179499

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:13:44 am by Ridge Runner »
Offline Poseidon-Jim
Silver Member

Thank you12

Activity
0%
Male
United States

2870.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Sov XS, Fisher CZ-70 Pro, Fisher 1280-X, Compass XP Pro
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 11:09:35 am »
Go Up Go Down

Great info & advice on this AU, much appreciated.

BTW, I'm wondering how the MXT would work on the beach and even in wet sand?

Thanks,  Great
Jim

At this point I now turn up the gain to where it starts to chatter and then just back it off slightly so the threshold becomes
stable, The other way to set the gain is to start of around 7.5 and keep sneeking it up until getting too much junk come through
the disc setting, But For peace of mind just turn the gain up til it starts to chatter and back it off so it is right on the edge
of being stable and then back it of just a tiny bit more and this will serve you very well, and if you are doing big areas every
so often find a clean patch of ground and leave the gain setting in the position you have been hunting in, switch back into ground
pump the coil a few times and switch back into lock again, and you are good to go again, when you get to understand this machine
you will start to run it right on the edge of being stable, but I have stopprd doing that because being stable is the key
And also I don't like to beat my Targets to death, I would just rather they would come out with their hands up.
The reason I say lock the ground balance is because in junk filled sites you do not want the MXT to track the junk or in other words
ground balance the junk out because you will loose good targets, only use the ground tracking in places where it is hard
to ground balance the machine or in very clean areas.

As for the pinpoint mode be warned that this is a powerful mode and will blow ya ears off if there is big junk just under the surface
if I find a target I move the coil away to one side then pull the trigger and creep up to the target and taking a mentle note
of how big an area the signal covers this way i can work out if it is a beer can or a coin or a ring,
In using pinpoint If I want to shrink the search area I will sometime just go past the target and release the trigger and then
pull it again so it desensatizes the pinpoint mode and that will help me work out how big the target is and also pinpoint
the target better,

I hopes this helps and please let us know how you get on and if you are stuck, just call. HH

AU

Posted on: June 03, 2011, 12:58:55 PM
One other thing to remember if you get too many signals come through just turn your gain down
and clean out the good stuf off the top and turn her up and go again

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg181420.html#msg181420

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 07:25:37 pm by Ridge Runner »

Best Regards,
Jim

Offline Ridge Runner
Mod
Platin Member

Thank you313

Activity
0%
Male

27450.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 05:04:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by Poseidon-Jim
BTW, I'm wondering how the MXT would work on the beach and even in wet sand?

The MXT will handle the beach just fine, all you have to do is instead of switching to ground to ground balance
the MXT, you switch it into SALT and ground balance it just the same way and lock it,
Most people use the 10DD or the old 950 or the 9.5 coil, the weight of the 12" / 300 coil, although can be tiring
I use the 300 coil most of the time just because i hunt in big wide areas and if your out alot or you work in a manual
world then most people wont worry about the weight, either way you will get use to it, I did'nt notice it when i got it

AU

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg181483.html#msg181483

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:10:51 pm by Ridge Runner »
Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 07:17:56 pm »
Go Up Go Down

is so the ground balance is set slightly positive

That's a good point. I've used that trick for years depending on the soil conditions. Good explanation on the MXT.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,25364.msg181488.html#msg181488

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: