[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline DoodlebugTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites xlt, minelab gpx 5000

xlt

« on: August 20, 2012, 05:10:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I have 10 year old Whites xlt that I use in a custom motion program which basically has the gain increased and the iron discrimination reduced.  I depend upon the sound and the LCD readout.  My reasons may be incorrect but my pile of treasure grows larger every trip out.  The canned programs don't measure up by comparison.  I never rely upon the readout alone or the sound alone.  Sound, readout and my experience with targets are far superior, to my way of thinking.  I have used White's detectors for over 40 years.  

Recently, my xlt was stolen.  I am looking at the MXT because it appears similar to the XLT, and presumably I can insert a custom program to my liking.  Also, the MXT has a coil similar to the xlt.  

What do members think about my method?  Compared to White's DD detectors?  I have found gold nuggets in Nevada but the XLT is worthless in hot ground like Australia.  Would the White's DFX be an alternative as an all around detector here in the U.S.?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37552.msg231312.html#msg231312

« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:14:56 pm by homefire »
Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
73%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Doodlebug, welcome from Arizona.

When it comes to your method, I'm all for it.   I hunt mostly by ear (having gone so far as to switch to a Tesoro Super Lobo so I'm less distracted), BUT someone who takes the time to learn ALL the signals his/her machine is giving will do better than a person who focuses on only one set of signals and ignores the other.   It's called "learning your machine"....and no matter which set of signals you prefer to use, LEARNING YOUR MACHINE and how it talks to you is always the key.

I'll leave the others to talk about the relative merits of the XLT vs the DFX.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37552.msg231321.html#msg231321

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:33:00 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yep, Computers lie.

If it works for you and you know what it's saying it works. Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37552.msg231323.html#msg231323

Offline DoodlebugTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

whites xlt, minelab gpx 5000
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:55:25 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks BA for your reply.  I feel good that you agree with my method.  It isn't perfect, and I dig a whale of a lot of junk but because I've had beautiful jewelry (like a tiffany silver spider) come up rattley and broken, but there was something strong about the sound and lcd response that motivated me to dig it up.

Thank you again...

Chuck Peters

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37552.msg231332.html#msg231332

Offline Mudflap
Knight
Gold Member

Thank you92

Activity
0%

United States

9300.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:26:02 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Doodlebug. Your dead on. I have been primarily using Whites since .....Yikes.... did the math..  40 years now! On the old machines I always found ya need to stay tuned to the small nuances of the tone. Then follow up with a few meter tricks. The old machines had a tendency to not show a good deep item but they would almost always id a bad one and when you couldn't get a bad indication.... that was the usually the deep goodies!!! Took me a while to get the knack of that on the XLT. Once I got off the factory programs and started tweeking, in came the goods. Trying to learn the MXT now and it seems like it is going to be easier than the XLT with no #$$# menus to mess with all the time. Wink

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,37552.msg231481.html#msg231481

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: