[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline HobbyistTopic starter
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia
Referrals: 0

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I shall be investigating the following lead brought to me by a friend and am asking for your ideas on the matter. He is an avid hunter/recreational fisherman and he works as a contractor who makes asphalt and cement roads. I'm quite sure he knows what cement looks like.

The first cement slab is approx 4 feet on each side. It is located about 30 feet from a brackish water river and protrudes about 6 inches above the surrounding ground. The ground is about 8 feet above the water level at high tide. He dug 2 feet down on one side and still encountered cement. The nearest man-made structure to it is a village about 20 minutes away by boat. There are no roads leading to the slab.

The second cement slab is located about 150km inland from the first slab. It is also approx 4 feet square, protrudes 6 inches above the surrounding ground and is located on the plateau of a hill. The hill is not the tallest around, and is surrounded by approx 25000 Ha of flat land. The nearest village is 30 minutes of walking thru jungle. There are no roads leading to the slab. Native huntsmen at the nearest village said that the slab had been there since their fathers were boys, so there is a possibility they date back to WW2 or earlier.

My questions:
Did the Japanese Imperial Army ever make such slabs as a machine gun or spotter platforms?
Could such cement slabs be caps for abandoned mine shafts?

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185114.html#msg185114

"Gold rides an iron horse." (Old prospector Homefire)

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:39:58 am »
Go Up Go Down

My guess is they were supports for a landing on the river at one time.

Water and Lands levels change from time to time.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185132.html#msg185132

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 08:03:37 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yeah that was my first thought about the slab by the river...it could have been a landing point. But 2 feet thickness is a bit much. Anyways I shall investigate and try to solve this mystery.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185139.html#msg185139

Offline clifftopdigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 11:02:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi. Just an idea Idea. Could these be crane platforms for unloading substantialy heavy equipment in the case of the river one?
And for the inland. Could this be a platform for serving some sort of underground workings? Such as a vast underground system of bunkers/secret nuclear shelter or something of that nature?
Could be that the river one served the inland one in some way!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185149.html#msg185149

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ideas are what I'm looking for and you have several good ones, Clifftopdigger. The slab on the hill may be the top of a ventilation shaft or a periscope shaft of a sizeable underground complex; was pouring thru photos of Japanese and British WW2 bunkers yesterday. Once this rainy weather clears up, I'll make arrangements to see the slabs. Till then, this mystery is like a maddening itch I can't scratch!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185218.html#msg185218

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:10 am »
Go Up Go Down

Bring a sledge hammer.    Smack the top of them and if there is a open under them you will hear it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185252.html#msg185252

Offline clifftopdigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:52:32 am »
Go Up Go Down

Might not sound hollow if its a platform for lowering materials/goods into a hole thats been buried! Theres only 4 places to dig if it don't sound hollow. Each side,or bang a big rod into the ground at several points to see if it hits something.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185270.html#msg185270

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:17:38 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Cement and mortar have been around since Roman time so the builders of the blocks may just have been local residents.

Did any of you discussing this note that the second block is reported to be 150km away? That's more than 90 miles away. Unless that's a typo of some kind, they are not related at all unless Kilroy wrote his name in the wet cement.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185293.html#msg185293

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline clifftopdigger
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United Kingdom

240.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab x=terra
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes GD. 150 km was noted. I'm wondering if the river one is maybe the most hospitable route to the similar in every size one by the river, to be unloaded and MAYBE, Travel across land in some sort of animal trail etc. This would possibly be the only way through such terrain (if connected with each other).
There are instances where ancient builders built structures hundreds of miles apart, yet are believed to be in perfect alingment and symetry,that some experts claim are not an accident and deliberately placed.
Another example of the skills of the ancient builders was channels,which would point to the fact that they were water channels to aid in perfect levels. (the earliest known equivelent to the spirit level)!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185318.html#msg185318

Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%

Malaysia

4220.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Sledgehammer usage and the sounds produced when the slabs are struck..another good idea!

Cement made by local population...that's logical and possible. That jiggled my memory. In past meanderings I've come across the remains of coagulation tanks made of cement and platforms for manually operated wringer machines. The are used by rubber growers to process the rubber tree's latex into solidified sheets of standard dimensions. Some of those structures were approx 4 feet square and also located far away from any dwellings.

As for the slabs servicing a common purpose, that MAY be possible. In the area of the hill plateau slab, there are pockets of tribesmen who still go barefoot and sometimes in loincloths; they're not reputed for friendliness to outsiders. I called in a favor and will have several policemen stationed at that district accompany us to the site. One of those guys mentioned to me that there is the wreck of a Japanese patrol boat in a nearby river and asked me if I could take a look. HELL YEAH! Right now this possible scenario is playing thru my head: war materiel was unloaded at the brackish-water cement slab and then later on transferred to patrol boats which ferried the stuff up river for distribution to the troops....or the slabs could merely be coagulation tanks! Grin

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,26347.msg185379.html#msg185379

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: