[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline hardluckTopic starter
Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:22 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello All

Australia was fortunate enough not to have a civil war. So the need to hide or bury treasure was not generally Pressing. However there are circumstances that caches was buried in Australia.

Fear in WW1 and during WW2 provoked frightened people in bury small fortunes. The stock market crash of 1929 forced people to hide and horde gold.And the general distrust of banks as well as earlier in gold mining regions during rush periods the lack of them were all factors

Here is a classic treasure cache story. An elderly gent distrustful of banks that had made money from the sale of land. An American called John Thomas Dougherty 84 years buried a small fortune before an local bank closed. There is no follow up if this money was every recovered.

There is a possibility that a researcher could trace back the old residential address or property where this man lived which could lead some where.

Hardluck

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg125433.html#msg125433

There are 2 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

800px-KyabramMainStreet.jpg
THE ARGUS MON JUNE 1 1936 KYABRAM BURIED SOVERIGNS.jpg

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 04:54:51 am by hardluck »
Offline Grimnar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 10:16:58 pm »
Go Up Go Down

This town is only 25mins near me. Might have to do a little research and see what we can find

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129170.html#msg129170

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 10:54:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Grimnar

It might be of help to search electoral roles that cover the town of Kyabram N.S.W, dated prior to John Thomas Dougherty passing away in 1936. You should be able to get an address of his last place of residence. Also if you search for earlier electoral roles might show up other addresses.

The property may be abandoned, still owned by descendants of the family or even owned by complete strangers with no knowledge of the story whats ever.

Regardless permission should be sought where possible. No fun in being fined for trespassing. If the house is abandoned then I suggest the normal cache hunting procedures, if occupied then perhaps at best the owner well let you detect the yard.

I will be interested to hear if you find out anything.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129176.html#msg129176

Offline Grimnar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 01:35:42 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,
              Kyabram is actully in Victoria, but old Mr Dougherty didnt live in Ky, he lived in the smaller settlement of Cooma, which in his day, as it is now, is just a small collection of farm houses on a cross road.

I am a member of my towns historical society, and because Ky is so small we hold alot of records for that town aswell as out own. I found a copy of his will, which was donated to us by a decendant, and it states that when he died he left all of his property and estate to his wife and children with a combined value of 19.157 pounds.

Posted on: December 01, 2010, 01:15:35 AM
I just reread the original newspaper article, and I do believe he didn't loose his cache. He took it out of the bank and buried it for safe keeping, just before his local bank closed. Thus averting a heavy loss! I would take this as him recovering it and using it to survive the depression.

The land boom that's is mentioned is in reference to the years during and after the Victorian gold rush.  In 1891 a severe depression of Melbourne's economy happened, sending the local finance and property industries into a period of chaos during which 16 small banks and building societies collapsed and 133 limited companies went into liquidation. The Melbourne financial crisis was a contributing factor in the Australian economic depression of the 1890s and the Australian banking crisis of 1893.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129201.html#msg129201

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 03:02:52 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Grimnar

Thank you for your quick response and well done. It seems you have made some interesting and amazing discoveries. The 1890's era was a time of economic depression some thing we can perhaps learn from.

A question springs to mind why would the newspaper story mention the buried money at all if it was recovered?

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129210.html#msg129210

Offline Grimnar
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Australia

35.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 03:11:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hardluck,
             Very good question. The answer on the other hand may not be so. I believe the article may have been submitted by a family member as a sort of obituary/memorial. Along with his history in the colony, maybe a little interesting anecdote was added, as a fond memory shared by his close family.

The Kyabram local newspaper, which was started by the 2xgreat grandfather of my uncle, might hold some clues as to the gentleman and his cache in question.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129211.html#msg129211

Gold Member

Thank you8

Activity
0%

8875.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:18 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hello Grimnar

It is fair to say that in the 1930's during the great depression there was great interest in treasure stories. Perhaps the paper put some spin on Mr Dougherty colourful career about buried money?

However you are in best possible position to determine the truth of the story via independent sources. Regardless of story. I think its a nice twist for a country town to have its very own treasure legend.

Hardluck

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,19093.msg129214.html#msg129214

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: