[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline MD EpidemicTopic starter
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Referrals: 0

190.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Ace250
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:57:19 am »
Go Up Go Down

I havn't post on THunting in a while but here goes.

Went to a local beach yesterday.The tide was low but i decided to start with the volleyball court since it was close but did not find anything .Then headed towards the beach and detected a cut in the sand had a bouncing 10cent signal and dug a 1923 Mercury 2 minutes later a 1914 Barber.What a coincidence 2-3 weeks ago i found my first 2 silvers one after another  1st a Barber then a Mercury dime at the same beach, I go on to find a nice designer stainless band.Finally, I get to to the edge of the water and now i have a bunch of kids asking me what i am doing i dig some signals hoping it's not a great find in front of the kids, after a while they go away.I lower my sensitivity as i am swinging a little over and into the water and had been getting false signals

Now, i get the sweetest sounding 5 cent signal, 2 inches in the water, i say to myself this has to be a ring or a nickle, "don't get your hopes to high".I pinpoint and it is definitely larger than a nickle i sweep the sand away about in inch deep to reveal a large mans gold ring I pick it up and i see the flash of ruby red I take a second look and quickly put it in my pouch. My heart is racing and i Know i hit the big one if the ruby is real.

So, i continue detecting for a while but i couldn't resist and take the ring out i rinse the sand of the sides of the ring to reveal a diamond on each side.It was a well worn ring as the 14K was all most worn off. I tried it on for size and fit just a little loose.then i take a little break go to the bathroom and regroup. I had it all planned out.Both my sister inlaws were visiting i was going to wear the rings and act excited about the 2 silver dimes which they can give a hoot about, As im showing the coins to my wife, she will realize i am wearing the rings.(that will show then i am not lunatic that goes to the beach to find pennies and trash. HA! HA!) also was going to ask the wife to take pictures so i can finally post my best find.I go on to find a more gold a nice size 10k hoop earing. Wow! what a day i say to myself, i just can't believe it.

Finally, it's time to go home, when i get to the car i have to take one more look. I feel for the ring in pocket and it's not there. I know i had put it in the small pocket of my jeans at some point. Did i put it back? I emptied all my pockets, pouch and looked in small trash bucket i carried. The ring is gone NNOOoooo!!!!
!@#@#$$ING FOOL THAT I AM. I go back to the beach it is all most deserted. I look at all that sand and know i will never find it in the 15 min of light i had left.

I sadly, pouring sweat ,a broken man,I walk to my car with nothing to brag about when i get home.Thinking  where did I drop it.Knowing the sandsweeper or another detectorist or  some fortunate beach goer is going to enjoy the fruits of my labor.Knowing i can't go back until Sunday to resume my search.

Well, my best metal detecting day:  A Ruby 14k ring, 10 K earring,nice Stainless ring and $2.30 in clad Quickly turned to my worst day.
using Ace 250 9x12 coil

Epi

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102532.html#msg102532

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
78%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:47:38 am »
Go Up Go Down

That hurts

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102540.html#msg102540

Offline bomber
Gold Member

I love THunting
Thank you2

Activity
0%
Male
United States

5229.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 11:58:40 am »
Go Up Go Down

sorry to hear that buddy,believe me i know,i did the same thing last year.i had to keep looking at that ring and when i got back to the car............gone Undecided Undecided Undecided.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102543.html#msg102543

dreams of the young are the regrets of old

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Been there, done that. My hindsight is always perfect and these days I wear a pouch around my neck inside my shirt for just such finds. The reason is twofold. If someone walks up and asks me if I found a ring that they lost, I ask them to describe it to me before I show it to them. Since I can see inside my outer pouch, so can they and all rings and high value items go inside my shirt pouch. Then, if they describe the ring in there, I return it to them as long as I am convinced it is there. I also insist on police presence and a police report of the returned item just in case it really wasn't theirs at all. Silly me, but, it has caused a so called ring loser to flee when I suggested that.

That really does hurt but you now know for sure that there is a valuable ring at that beach.  Even though others MIGHT go there and find it, your odds will be a little better than theirs since you have an inkling of where it might be and will sweep slower and meaner than they do.

Good luck finding it!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102562.html#msg102562

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline hoochie papa
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

230.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 05:40:52 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats a real heart breaker. sorry to read that.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102619.html#msg102619

Offline redriver
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

160.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Omega 8000  Prizm IV DFX 300
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:12:36 am »
Go Up Go Down

Had similar experience yesterday.  Found my very first ring, costume jewellery steel flower with fake stone.  Putting detectors in trunk, and lose the stone.  No great loss like yours, but it was my first ring and I was disappointed.  Thinking about fly fishing vest, to secure treasure.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102826.html#msg102826

Offline mfitzs70
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%

United States

820.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:24:21 am »
Go Up Go Down

Garret sells a pouch that goes on your belt. It has inside a smaller pouch with a zipper an some loops for tools. I use it and when asked what I'm finding I reach into the big section of the pouch for a handfull of pop tabs and can slaw. People ussually turn and walk away at that point. So in the zippered pouch I keep the keepers for my eyes only.  This kinda looks like it but the information on this one says 4 treasure pockets....mine only has on with zipper.

Please Register or Login

http://www.opticsplanet.net/garrett-treasure-pouch-1608800.html

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,15974.msg102837.html#msg102837

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: