[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline llanogold
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

E-Trac 2200V2 Fisher F5,F2,GB2,Garrett AT Gold
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:18:23 pm »
Go Up Go Down

When a detector discriminates a target it causes what is called nulling. This nulling effect can mask other targets. depending on you processor speed in your detector you could miss a good target. You can test the effect by placing a nail on the ground next to a quarter with your iron mask on. The other thing that can mask a target is your detectors recovery speed if you have the iron mask off or in all metal mode you can miss a target becuase the iron gives off a stronger signal than say a quarter. With a slow recovery speed the iron signal will come in first and if the good target is to close you could already be past the good target before your machine recovers. I run my detector in all metal and I go slow and low and I listen to the tones of a target. I run a Minelab E-trac in all metal mode. I dont discriminate out much. I get a lot of tones when I am detecting I know what iron, foil, tin, zinc, silver, and gold sounds like on my machine I let my ears do the disc. I have a multi tone option on my machine and it gives each target a specific sound according to it conductivity. My machine cost $1400.00 and I still have to deal with iron, its just made a little easyer with all my extra options. With your machine I would run the smallest coil avalible that would help give you a little target separation. Hope I didnt bore you. Its better to just go detect and dig everything.
Thanks
Todd

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11114.msg71523.html#msg71523

Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:33:33 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Todd, I'm coming to the conclusion that you can't rely too heavily on the discrimination functions or else you miss some good stuff. I did the test you described and a clad penny and an iron nail separated by 2 inches give separate tones in the all metal mode at slow sweep speed. Any closer and the machine is confused. I tried a flattened iron can and it was about 4 inches.  Thanks for your response.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11114.msg71526.html#msg71526

Offline llanogold
Copper Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

310.00 Gold
View Inventory

WWW Awards

E-Trac 2200V2 Fisher F5,F2,GB2,Garrett AT Gold
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Thats the best way to learn what your detector is doing. This is called air testing and it gives you a prety good idea of whats going on, but its not exaxctly how it will be when the targets are under ground. In the ground iron has what is called a halo effect and it can cause a small peice of iron to give off a signal many times its size. Now you can also try and put the iron above or below your coin and see what happens. You should be able to get more target separation with the iron above or below. This is where the more expensive machines start to shine. I once dug a silver dime at about 7 inches and in that hole I removed 5 square nails. The dime didnt come in with a perfect signal with all that iron around it but I could tell that there was something other than iron in the hole. Old iron that has been in the ground for a while will sound scratchy and rough like static. Metal detecting is fun but it take a lot of practice.

Todd

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11114.msg71530.html#msg71530

Offline xavier
Platin Member

From a rainy Brussels
Thank you166

Activity
0%
Male
Belgium

32206.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 04:29:20 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi Gambol1 and Todd

I'm happy to see that people do pay attention to what is being said about discriminators and there behaviors it is very true to say that your ears do the best discriminating. Once you get to know your metal detector you will probably never want to use the discrim function again. Happy hunting and best regards

Xavier

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,11114.msg71587.html#msg71587

Xavier

So many questions so little time

Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: