[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada
Referrals: 0

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty  Hunter and several more.
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 02:36:46 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by adnimo
goldigger:

Im not second guessing you!, Its just that the software doesnt have any audio jacks to play with, only terminal blocks (yuk!) Its also missing many ICs and other components. If only I knew how to add them...  Sad - Also I didnt know that was the standard diagram for them, but it still doesnt have any jacks at all to put on the circuits so Im stuck in that sense.

*Yes, I thought it was probably that....  It should not be too difficult to make components, and install them. Take stab at it.... it might be easier than it appears.

"Boyoboy, would I like to have that software"

There are a bunch of freeware alternatives on electronics simulators, for instance this company offers a bunch of good programs:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

This should be worth a try:

Please Register or Login

http://www.gpleda.org/index.html

And of course the PCB Wizard freebie alternative can be found at:

Please Register or Login

http://www.expresspcb.com/

Finally, this Java applet:

Please Register or Login

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/
-- is a full blown (or close to) simulator, I really enjoy the fact that it comes with tons of circuits to play with (I really mean TONS!) Being Java its a little slow, but usable nonetheless. Im not sure about precision in this case, LiveWire for instance has a precision toggle that enables a finer simulation at the expense of CPU cycles, I reckon the Java simulator uses doubles (64bit floating point values) which would be the theoretical practical size on real-time applications with consumer hardware.

* WOW! Hey the cub taught the old fox how to snoop around the chicken house! I never thought of searching for freebies.... good idea, I shall try some of those links. I am not so sure about the Java, this machine is picky about Javascript.

In all cases, being able to actually see the flow of current is very helpful for novices like me.

*I agree, when I started in electronics, I had my uncle's army training manual, a piece of paper and a pencil.... and grade 6 math!

I should drink a coffee or two before I start the trouble-shooting or else... I might not get very far at all!

*Coffee! YAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! All I have is tea! Being a type 2 diabetic, I HAVE to have my coffee, they say it protects the liver, and mine is constantly assaulted by my diabetic medicine (metformin), which has other bad effects, too (if I take it at less than 3 hours apart. 4 hours is just right,) but some times I forget....I get too wound up in the forum, and lo... my blood sugar is LOW normal, just as tho' I DID take the meds.  Kiss

Will post an update soon. Thanks again for your help, Id be cursing the PCB right now if it werent for this forum.

* Yes, well, GoldDigger1950 is watching over our shoulders.... just letting me take the heat.   Cheesy

*I had another thought, if you can measure ac and frequency, take a measure at the collector of Q4, to see if there is any RF or hi frequency AF (ac volts and frequency). Also, I think I know why the parts "blew up," if there was RF at Q4 collector, it is not getting filtered out and over drove the final transistor.

Eugene52: Thanks for the pdf, Im still reading it but its certainly useful. Funny how I wasnt even born by the time it was published (6 years shy from my birth!) and yet it contains valuable, timeless information. It goes to show... New doesnt necessarily mean better.

*The PDF which Eugene posted is interesting and has loads of information..... I am going to look at it again.

GoldDigger1950: Well its certainly a bug, links should only be escaped by the boundaries set by the RFC standard on HTML, etc. SMF is based on PHP, I just find it strange that they would still have such a bug... Perhaps a plugin is messing things up?. In all cases even a software developer can only guess so much :p - For now, no apostrophes for me.

I dont really mind though, I could even send in Morse code just to get help from you guys. Not that Im particularly good at that... I dont even have a Ham license for that sake ( Is it still a test requirement? - I guess I should ask at the local office, but I remember it was at least a requirement of ~20 WPM in most countries )

*Audio Morse or dots and dashes.... I am a bit rusty  but could read 18 wpm, once. (VE7EQP, me.) No Morse requirement, anymore, in Canada, I got my certificate in 1986, then they overhauled the system and I got "grandfathered," as they call it... basically it means I am an ADVANCED Ham.  Shocked

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg44259.html#msg44259

goldigger

Offline adnimoTopic starter
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Argentina

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 01:49:10 pm »
Go Up Go Down

ham is all sorts of fun but I don't have the money to get any equipment for the moment.

I've been trying to debug the circuit without too much luck, at least I managed to create the audio connectors using the drawing tools the simulator comes with (circles, etc).

On a side note, I tried to make an etching solution out of Chloridric Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide (1-1, acid at 10% and peroxide at 3%) the solution worked, I tried it on a piece of copper tubing inside a test tube and it soon turned green, but as I stirred it today morning to add oxygen (it sat all night long) the test tube failed and the solution splattered throughout the room. I don't understand why this happened... I was using high grade pyrex tubes... Either way that was my lesson, I'll only do chemistry outdoors from now on.

It takes an accident to learn!

I'm still puzzled, pyrex should not fail like that. Even with a little piece of copper inside it shouldn't make a hole. For one the solution isn't that concentrated and secondly it takes a dremel tool to cut that glass...

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg45047.html#msg45047

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 01:53:20 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Ferric chloride is so cheap that it makes no sense to me why anyone would buy more expensive chemicals to make their own. You can carry the "do it yourself" concept a bit far when you endanger yourself like this.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg45049.html#msg45049

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Argentina

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 02:20:39 pm »
Go Up Go Down

A whole liter of the acid is 5 bucks, in dollars that's ~$1.28 - The peroxide is even cheaper and you can find both elements in almost any place.

As for the ferric chloride, a quarter of liter is worth 10 bucks, which translates to $40 a liter, roughly $10.25 dollars. The thing is, you can hardly find it. (Remember I'm not in the US, we don't get to buy this sort of stuff around the corner)

Now both last for a very long period of time, but the latter is quite dark and it's harder to see the PCB without taking it out the tray, the former is green and you can see through it even on a half liter concentration.

I have ferric chloride, don't get me wrong. But I would really like to try the other etching solution because it's supposed to be faster. Equally dangerous, perhaps. They are both a hazard to nature anyway and I wouldn't even dare to dispose such a solution on the ground.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg45050.html#msg45050

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 07:46:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

I'm not in the US either. The fact that everyone seems to ignore is that the PC board etching process is meant to be done slowly, not fast. Making the etch work faster means that you undercut the traces and cause damage to the traces before you even clean off the resist ink.

Ferric chloride is safe and pretty easy to make. Weakened hydrochloric acid and scrap iron. After you make it, distill the water out or let it evaporate and you have the cheapest solution ever for etching solution. If you filter it first, you can rid it of the particles which might still be in it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg45095.html#msg45095

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Argentina

40.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 11:42:01 pm »
Go Up Go Down

How is using a sponge and getting rid of the copper that is not underneath the resist any bad?, the way I see it if you use a bath and you're not careful with the time / temp you'll end up with pitting, etc. If you can use a sponge and get rid of the copper almost in real time you can prevent this by putting the board on water immediately once you've reached your etching goal. We're talking about small boards here.

Spraying works on a similar way but requires a rather complicated setup to be precise during the etching process.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg46416.html#msg46416

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 08:51:30 pm »
Go Up Go Down

adnimo;

The copper only has a thin layer of resin, holding it on the board, and is very thin, itself, so roughness, of even a sponge, can cause damage. Heating it with an iron as in transferring laser print, can cause it to slip.

Also, there is no need to use an abrasive, to clean the copper, just wipe with rubbing alcohol, and let evaporate, that will remove all finger print grease.

This is an instance of speed not being good.

If you are only doing one 7.5cm by 10 cm board, a Ziploc container and minimal etchant works fine. Or.... do a bunch of boards, at a time, in something bigger. I have used a plastic "frig-o-seal," about 15cm square by 5 cm deep... for a smallish board. Works good. A Ziploc bag might work, too.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg46943.html#msg46943

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:55:08 pm by goldigger »

goldigger

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 09:08:45 pm »
Go Up Go Down

adnimo;

The test tube:-  was it stoppered, if so, it may have built up pressure (hydrogen gas, from the reaction,) and fractured from that pressure.

The old fashioned quartz glass (like Roman glass) was worse, very brittle and tended to break easily, but heat proof. The best are borosilicate, tough and relatively shatter-proof.

I have been playing with pc board software and simulation software, but it is all crazy. For instance, checking the circuit integrity says all the leads, to the outside , power, input, output, etc, are "open." But of course they are, even when tagged! I am giving it a few days rest and going to a breadboard.  Great

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg46948.html#msg46948

goldigger

Offline BAATAR
Pull Tab

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Mongolia

50.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gpx4500
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 01:01:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

any one describe BFO detector?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg49680.html#msg49680

Offline goldigger
Silver Member

Thank you4

Activity
0%
Male
Canada

5400.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 02:31:44 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by BAATAR
any one describe BFO detector?

Bataar;

Nice of you to ask.

Basic BFO: you have two oscillators, operating at nearly the same frequency; one is the search oscillator (the search coil) the other is called the REFERENCE oscillator. They have to be isolated so they do not interlock.

BFO search oscillators need a shield, called a Faraday shield, to reduce capacity effects, like when the coil passes near a plant like grass or a small bush, without a Faraday shield it will give a false indication,

To tune:-  the reference oscillator is tuned until you hear a tone, a low tone is best, or you can get ear fatigue (really,) so when the search coil goes near metal, like a coin or piece of gold or an old iron covered battery, for instance, the tone changes. That tone change is how you know there is metal present.

If the reference oscillator is tuned just below the search oscillator, iron will make the tone go down. Aluminum, gold, copper, any non-iron, non-ferrous metal will make the tone go up. Do you want a technical explanation?  Shocked

BFO locators are only as sensitive as your ear, I have made BFO locators that used a harmonic of the search frequency and got more sensitivity.... more instability, also.

There is a trade-off in the frequency used, and that is: 100 kHertz is more sensitive to small objects, but does not penetrate the ground well, because of "ground effect," Then again 10 kHertz penetrates the ground well but is not as sensitive to small things.

This would indicate 45 kHz should be a happy medium. It is halfway from 10 kHz to 100 kHz.

A phase sensing circuit works on the same principle as a BFO but the frequency change is less than 90 degrees.... you would never hear that small a change but it can be detected, electronically.

Hope this helps.

goldigger

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,7011.msg49696.html#msg49696

goldigger

Print
Pages:  1 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: