[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages: 1    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline texasred777Topic starter
Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Referrals: 0

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« on: November 16, 2013, 09:31:27 am »
Go Up Go Down

It was suggested that instead of spending money to repair the old BH 840, that I purchase a new detector.  After much reading, phone calls, 'live' chats online, I found that I could probably buy a new detector for about what it would cost to repair the old one.  So, I began reading articles about all the detectors that were in the range of my 'funds'.  Although I didn't find anybody that was actually using one, I decided to get the BH Lone Star w/ free pin pointer from Walmart.  No, it's not even one of the mid range detectors; but it will do me for the time being.  I should have it about Thanksgiving.  In the meantime, I thought I would dig out the old BH Tracker 2-D/707 and try again to 'like' it.  I never cared for it much; nor have I used it much.  Anyway, I took 2 quarters, 2 dimes, and 2 nickels out into the backyard yesterday.  I buried the 6 coins at different depths and at different angles.  I only buried them about 2" to 4" deep.  Then I took the Tracker and just tuned it enough to use it.  I found all 6 coins without any trouble.  Then I took the little Harbor Freight (cheapy) and tried it.  It only found one of the quarters and one of the dimes.  I have probably used the little HF one more than the Tracker.  I want to go back and bury some foil, nails, rings, pull tabs, etc. in the next day or two.  (Too rainy today.)  I want to get more used to the Tracker before the Lone Star gets here.  Then I want to get really serious with the Lone Star.  I want to get used to the sounds, set up, and how deep it will really find things.
Are any of you using a Lone Star?  I spent probably most of a week, every day, searching articles, pricing detectors, and finally decided that this was probably the most that I could get for the money.  The free pin pointer also made the deal a little sweeter.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48341.msg263964.html#msg263964

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:55:01 pm by homefire »

Old Texan transplanted in Idaho.  Love Idaho; but sure miss Texas!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:11:34 pm »
Go Up Go Down

So, have you received your detector yet?   And if so, how are you liking it?  I know Homefire really likes Bounty Hunters.  (personally I prefer the Fishers and Teknetics even though both brands are made by the same folks as make BH......but that's a personal bias).

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48341.msg264503.html#msg264503

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Bounty Hunter 840, + non working BH 840,  Bounty Hunter Tracker 2-D/707, BH Lone Star,  BH Tracker IV, and MD-3005 (Harbor Freight)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:12:04 am »
Go Up Go Down

Yes!  I received it; but only got to use it in the back yard for about 30 minutes.  We've still got about an inch and a half of snow on the ground from last week, and the forecast is for a high today of 32 degrees, and it will probably be spring before I get to use it much.  I have COPD and try to stay out of the cold and damp, especially if it's below freezing.  I worked in the cold and hot for a lot of years in Texas; but now the cold gets to me a lot more.  I'm on some meds that slows my heart just a little; but it sure makes a difference in my temp tolerance!! 
I had buried 6 coins in the back yard and was testing the Tracker II that I've not cared much for.  I found all 6 coins but left them in the ground.  A few days later went back and dug them up; except for one quarter, which I never found with the Tracker.  There's a lot of junk in the yard.  I thought I'd dig up the coins, get the junk out, and then try to make a good test plot.  When I took the new BH Lone Start out, I found the lost quarter.  I still keep wanting to go ahead and get the old BH 840 repaired.  I had a lot of fun with it and found quite a few coins with it.  I'm getting old enough that I'm not real fond of learning new 'tricks'.  lol  I've been told that, (?) can't remember the name; but is supposed to be best on the older BH repairs.  You probably remember his name.  I keep thinking that I'll contact him and get it repaired.  I don't know for sure that he's still in business.  I heard that he was the head of one of the clubs there in east Texas. 
Thanks for the reply.  I've really enjoyed this forum. 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48341.msg264524.html#msg264524

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
76%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:57:17 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by texasred777
I've been told that, (?) can't remember the name; but is supposed to be best on the older BH repairs.  You probably remember his name.  I keep thinking that I'll contact him and get it repaired.  I don't know for sure that he's still in business.  I heard that he was the head of one of the clubs there in east Texas.

I'm not sure, but I believe you're talking about Keith Wills of East Texas Metal Detectors located in Gilmer, Texas.   I know they have a good reputation when it comes to breathing new life into old BH machines.

BA

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48341.msg264526.html#msg264526

Copper Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male

95.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:43 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Yes!  I have his name, address, and phone number; just couldn't think of it.  Thanks.  I've heard that sometimes it takes months to get one back from him because he's so busy.  I don't guess it really matters though; it'll probably be several months before this weather will be warm enough for me!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,48341.msg264545.html#msg264545

Print
Pages: 1    Go Up
Jump to: