[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2010, 03:17:26 am »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by truckinstructor
Hi there, I am from Australia - Kalgoorlie and Tasmania now. I started with a Whites 5000D detector 31 years ago then left the hobby.
I now have a Gold Snoop Ppro which is apparently a chinese GC model in disguise. I also just brought a Germasn Seben extreme power detector.
Apparentlyboth of these are a far cry from the Whites 5000d...
I'd like to know if I have 2 toys here - guess the only way to find out is to compare them soon...and ask you people what you may know?

Thanks,
Mark ph 61406250500

Your Gold Snoop Pro is a top notch machine but that Seben is just the opposite.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg95038.html#msg95038

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia
Referrals: 0

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 04:43:28 am »
Go Up Go Down

Hi all,
 ive seen a hand dug trench over 6ft depth! ( this was 1 days digging)
  So if something was to be hidden, especially from a raiding party... with advanced warning.

GD , if you can please advise, how deep would you expect a 1ft chest  of gold after spending say 100 years on a estuary bottom ?  Ive been thinking about this for a while & and there probly many factors
 to determin the evenual depth. Such as sediment build up...
  I was going to post this as a new topic but it kind of fits under Depth detection.
 Any ideas would welcomed   Cool

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg95047.html#msg95047

Offline shortribs
Bronze Member

Thank you7

Activity
0%

United States

1445.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher-Whites-Garrett
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:13 am »
Go Up Go Down

I'ts accordingly if u are looking for coins or caches or gold or relics. Actually those detectors u have will find coins just as good as others just they won't go as deep in hot ground as say a minelab.If you are gold hunting a gold detector is the way to go. If u are just a casual coin hunter then stay with what u got.If u are a serious hunter then a minelab or a pulse detector is the way to go. Now white's has a pulse detector with discrimination on it thats a killer but then so is the price.The 5000D I believe was a tr type which is a step backwards to todays detectors. They have good disc. but not much punch in mineralized ground like the newer motion detectors.If u can afford a higher up detector such as a whites MXT or the like or a teknetics 8ooo etc. Then that would be the way to go.Actually u can't beat a minelab with BBS etc for an all round detector.I personally don't care for them as they are slow recovery detectors but they DO the job good.I have a Sov. GT now and a 8000 tek as I've used them all and was a multiline dealer for 20 yrs and enjoyed the difference in detectors. jmho

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg95116.html#msg95116

Offline jabrahame
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

Mexico

5.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Lorenz LPX2, Minelab Explorer II, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Sand Shark
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 12:57:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Hi guys, I am from Mexico and I have some experience using pulse induction and VLF detectors.

The pulse induction detectors are really good if you are searching in the open and flat land. They are great to find meteorites, you can find some videos of people finding meteorites with all kind of detectors, but to find the really big and deep meteorites normally they use the big antennas that the pulse induction detector can use. What I do not like about the pulse induction is that they like the ferrous materials (on the other hand, that is the advantage to find meteorites).

The two box units can go to about three feet. That is enough to find something valuable. The advantage that I saw in some two box unit is that they can be used in a more closed environment, I mean inside an old and big house.

If you want to find the hidden and deep room full of gold or a lost mine, you will require a Ground Penetrating Radar or similar technology.

Success using the two box or the pulse induction ... The pulse induction has been better for me due to the flexibility to use different loops.

Good luck!

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg95860.html#msg95860

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 04:24:35 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by goldnboy
Hi all,
 ive seen a hand dug trench over 6ft depth! ( this was 1 days digging)
  So if something was to be hidden, especially from a raiding party... with advanced warning.

GD , if you can please advise, how deep would you expect a 1ft chest  of gold after spending say 100 years on a estuary bottom ?  Ive been thinking about this for a while & and there probly many factors
 to determin the evenual depth. Such as sediment build up...
  I was going to post this as a new topic but it kind of fits under Depth detection.
 Any ideas would welcomed   Cool

A lot of things to consider. Many streams (actually most of them) have been nearly worn down to bedrock so sinking really is rare. What you might see is silt covering it but it's unlikely that 100 years of sinking will cause it to be too deep. The silt cover may shift over those times revealing it and covering it depending on the amount of rainfall and water movement each season.

You get the idea. Streams with fast moving water don't usually accumulate silt. You can see clear down to bedrock and those cracks and crevices are where small heavy items settle. The same goes for silt covered river bottoms. You could use a fish finding sonar to map the dips and valleys in the river and if the chest is big enough, it may actually show up on the bottom beneath the soft silt.

Good luck.

Quote:Posted by shortribs
I'ts accordingly if u are looking for coins or caches or gold or relics. Actually those detectors u have will find coins just as good as others just they won't go as deep in hot ground as say a minelab.

It's my opinion after having used both that the Gold Snoop will out perform any Minelab on the market as far as coin detection goes. I have found a $2 coin in beach sand at 40cm. My Minelab might be able to do the same at 20 if I'm lucky and the fellow I hunt with used his $6,000 Minelab after I reburied the coin and he couldn't even get a whimper. That Gold Snoop is a fantastic buy for the coin hunter.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg95934.html#msg95934

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:12 am »
Go Up Go Down

hello GD
 thanks for you reply, How aout a bigger chest say 3-5 ft, with a soft mud and clay bottom ??

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg96005.html#msg96005

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2010, 02:35:15 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Do you know for sure where the bedrock is? How deep is that mud and clay before bedrock? That's going to be your depth no matter how many years or how big it is. The chest can shift in a single storm if there's enough water flowing. It can move both in the direction of water flow and be covered by silt and debris.

It's utterly unpredictable. Don't believe all those mathematical solutions on Numbers or other TV shows. You can only use them as a best guess. Reality is a much better teacher.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg96180.html#msg96180

Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline BitburgAggie_7377
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Platin Member

Define Treasure
Klugheit und Verstandnis
Thank you116

Activity
75%

United States

26045.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Fisher Impulse , Tesoro Lobo SuperTraq, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Compadre, Garrett AT Max, Whites Sierra Super Trac
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2010, 02:44:26 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by GoldDigger1950
It's utterly unpredictable. Don't believe all those mathematical solutions on Numbers or other TV shows. You can only use them as a best guess. Reality is a much better teacher.

Cry

GD, say it isn't so......I thought Charlie Epps was infallible*
     I'm not sure whether I'll be able to carry-on or not.   Next thing I know, you'll be telling me there is no gold at the end of the Yamashita rainbow.

*except for the couple of times when he didn't have enough data to formulate the correct model

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg96182.html#msg96182

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »
Go Up Go Down

OK thanks for the replys, So i need to find out the bedrock depth,  Ill guess at this stage its about 20-30 ft. I was thinking a proton mag for serching for this type of target? Would that be the way to go ? 

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg96241.html#msg96241

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45:21 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Proton magnetometer is probably the best way to go in mud and clay. If the bedrock is that deep, it would surprise me in Australia. You can use a metal rod to probe from a boat if the bedrock is less than 10 feet down. That's the most likely depth here in Western Australia.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,13998.msg96302.html#msg96302

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: