[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2    Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 0

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:07 pm »
Go Up Go Down

If you enter a agreement with the family, be sure you have a written agreement in pocket before you work.

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34771.msg211014.html#msg211014

Offline goldnboy
Silver Member

Thank you3

Activity
0%

Australia

6165.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

gold stinger
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:43:59 am »
Go Up Go Down

Howdy gambol1.  Nice story. Im thinking why was nothing in the locking closet ? Im hoping for your sake he moved it to another location & you can figure that out. Perhaps under a floor board, Or down there at the lake cottage. Good luck and happy hunting

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34771.msg211046.html#msg211046

Offline gambol1Topic starter
Silver Member

At first we were all hunters
Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

4800.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett 150, 250,Fisher F75S, Tesoro sand shark
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 03:28:31 am »
Go Up Go Down

Homefire, good advice. All I have now is a handshake. And you never know what that is worth. I went back today and worked for four more hours. I found the first deep and Cache size object. Something that looks like a tractor flywheel It was down 18 inches but my machine found it through 8 inches of grass.   I am learning that cache hunting is entirely different from what I have been doing. Coin shooting, I rarely dig more than 8 inches and primarily use the discrimination mode. Cache hunting requires you ignore the surface trash and look for "big" targets. I do this by measuring the size of the targets in all metal static mode and with the pinpoint function. You don't need discrimination because there aren't that many big targets and they all give a signal in the 65-85 range when you hit the sweet spot and many small shallow targets are in the same range. Beer cans for example but they are eliminated by size. Surprisingly I have done the front and back yards and have not come across a single aluminum can and only 2 pull tabs. This guy drank his beer from bottles apparently. The temperature will be in the 60's tomorrow so It will be another hunt day. regards, gambol Great

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34771.msg211100.html#msg211100

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

P1000868.jpg

Offline Gozzo
Bronze Member

Thank you1

Activity
0%
Male
Australia

740.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett AT Gold, Whites GMT GoldMaster E - Series, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Grand Master Hunter cx11 (dead ), Garrett Ace 350  , Cen- Tech Hand Held
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
Go Up Go Down

" If you have nothing to lose from trying, and much to gain if successful then by all means try"
W. Clement Stone.
 I don't know about the U.S but in Australia an oral contract is as binding as a written one. I noticed You said you found a tractor wheel that set off your detector. Now if I am right about my history on the use of detectors they were mainly developed for finding mines in WW2, after which a lot of the guy's that used them in a military capacity, realised they could be used to find gold, hidden Caches etc. It was this I believe that made the hobby and industry what it is today.
  Now back to the wheel, anyone smart enough to realise that it made sense to keep gold on hand in case the cash took a dive, would surely be astute enough to know that one day the Fed's might come looking for it. If he was aware of their ability to find things such as gold buried underground, I cant speak for him, but i know I would bury a lot of such things as wheel rims water pipes, lead batteries and the like to frustrate the operator of the machine, to a point where he would simply get sick of digging unless he was absolutely sure, he had the right target.
  Just something to think about.
Good luck.
   Gozzo

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34771.msg211106.html#msg211106

Dig it, you know you WANT to.

Sorry this isn't that kind of Swingers club.

Offline Robroy59
Knight
Bronze Member

Thank you0

Activity
0%
Male
United States

1360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Minelab Explorer II, White's 6000/Di PRO SL, Radio Shack Discovery 2000
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 02:22:49 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Gozzo has a good idea, something hidden that you don't want someone else to find, hidden by another object.
This bears further investigation.
Also, you mentioned a cottage down by the lake, I would not expect something as obvious as a float, or a line
off a dock, but you never know.  If there is a float away from the dock to allow for visitors with larger boats to
anchor, there might be something at the bottom, or even a secondary line attached to the float. A submerged
float is also a nifty way to hide something from casual view, but as long as you know the general area, is usually
fairly easy to find.  Thanks for the updates, HH Robroy59
BTW, regarding additional depth, the former owner of my Minelab Explorer II gave to me a 15 inch Coiltek coil
Model 3353, that he told me he used in the sand in southern California to get to items missed by other detectorists.
I have yet to use it yet, but I am setting up a test garden next weekend and will be able to provide further details, as long as I don't get distracted.
insight.  To help start you off, here are two links that provide some decent general information:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thomasathomas.com/Getting_More_Depth_From_Your_Metal_Detector.htm

Please Register or Login

http://www.metaldetectors.com/metal-detectors/faqsarticle.cfm

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,34771.msg211122.html#msg211122

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:47:27 pm by Robroy59 »

2015 coins - 0 Dollars, 0 Half dollars, 24 Quarters, 18 Dimes, 5 Nickels, 30 Pennies -- Total $8.35
Silver - zilch  Gold - nada

Blix   Invaders  
Print
Pages:  1 2    Go Up
Jump to: