[x] Welcome at THunting.com!

A fun place to talk about Metal Detecting, Treasure Hunting & Prospecting. Here you can share finds and experience with thousands of members from all over the world

Join us and Register Now - Its FREE & EASY

THunting.com
Treasure Hunting & Metal Detecting Community

Advanced Search
Welcome, Guest! Please login or register HERE - It is FREE and easy.
Only registered users can post and view images on our message boards.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
Or Login Using Social Network Account
News:
Pages:  1 2   Go Down
Print
Share this topic on FacebookShare this topic on Del.icio.usShare this topic on DiggShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on Twitter
Tags:
Offline Do WhatTopic starter
Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States
Referrals: 0

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« on: October 09, 2012, 08:57:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

This site is an area near what I have thought for many years to be a possible gravesite. Thing is, after recently returning to my old interest in treasure hunting and hitting the web, you guys have made me take another look. That "gravesite" is actually a mound of stones within a circle. One of many circles in the immediate area. Today, after some metal detecting nearby, we went for another look. Do you guys see any possibilities here or am I just dreaming? I'd appreciate input pro or con. Happy huntin'  Great

Linkback:

You are not allowed to view links.
Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234619.html#msg234619

There are 6 attachment(s) in this post which you can not view or download

Please register for viewing them.

gravesite.d.jpg
ngs.a.jpg
ngs.c.jpg
ngs.g.jpg
ngs.k.jpg
ngs.m.jpg

Offline seldom
Wrecking Crew
Platin Member

Wrecking Crew
Thank you19

Activity
0%
Male
United States

20755.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 09:04:56 am »
Go Up Go Down

I don't even see a grave site just a pile of rocks. It would help if we knew what part of the county it was in and some history of the area.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234621.html#msg234621

If you believe everything you read you are reading to much.
Treasure is a Harsh  Mistress

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 09:12:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

A photo showing more area would help a bit.

Until then just Natural Rocks.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234623.html#msg234623

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:18:50 am »
Go Up Go Down

The area is located on the east facing side of a hilltop a couple hundred yards from a river crossing in southeast Oklahoma. It's not far from an old homesite and many Indian points and other artifacts have been found there. The mound of stones and the nearby circles each have the largest rock on their west edge. Each V and pointer that we can find (if that's actually what they are) all point the same direction.
Maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see  Undecided

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234625.html#msg234625

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States
Referrals: 12

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:34:34 am »
Go Up Go Down

The rocks do look like a human hand has arranged them but the purpose of that arranging may be lost forever. They could be the site of a multiple person campsite where each was a fire pit. The edges of the pits may have been kicked towards the center as most Boy Scouts are taught to do. That's a simple possibility. A grave site is also possible but it would have to be a hastily arranged one since reverence and permanence are traditionally the basis for memorializing a grave site.

There may be some research tools available to you. If you can find a local historical society, they may have information on skirmishes that happened in the local area. After one of those, casualties from both sides were often buried at the site. Google Earth or the Google satellite images also might allow you to spot a skirmish boundary even after more than a hundred years after the fact if you carefully observe the lay of the land.

Sometimes the outhouses of a homestead were marked with a cairn so as to remind the future diggers of the new outhouse to stay away from the previous holes. A privy that is dug up after 100 or so years is not going to be an upsetting event because the earth will have done its job in converting waste to soil. Very rich soil. You'll know fairly early if that's what you have discovered.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234627.html#msg234627

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Foil

Thank you0

Activity
0%

United States

20.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:53 am »
Go Up Go Down

Thanks GD. I appreciate the input. I'll be doing a lot of research on this area.
Who know...? We may locate the Lost Mines of the Kiamichi  Cheesy

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234628.html#msg234628

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

Garrett Groundhog ADS, Garrett Sea Hunter, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,Minelab Eldorado Mk II, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Tiger Shark & A Few Home Brew Detectors
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:01:09 am »
Go Up Go Down

I wouldn't fall into the trap of believing that those are treasure markers of any kind. In true fact about treasure, the people who hide it do not ever put them near public markers of any kind. Get that thought out of your mind right now. Treat it like a curiosity or a potentially important historical event.

Regarding treasure, think about it from your own perspective. Would you ever in a million years bury a treasure with signs and arrows pointing towards it? Like most who really bury treasure, you'd most likely keep it secret. Some have kept it secret for one day too long, dying before they told their own family. I once uncovered 12 mason jars filled with gold and silver coins for a friend of mine whose granddad had passed away without ever revealing where he got the silver dollars he gave his children and grandchildren every year on their birthdays. There wasn't a single sign pointing out the location but I managed to think like he did and found it within a few minutes of arriving at the old homestead.

But that's another story for another topic. Good luck with this one, mate. You're going to have a ball doing the research and discovering what's there.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234629.html#msg234629

It's all about that moment when metal that hasn't seen the light of day for generations frees itself from the soil and presents itself to me.
Let's Talk Treasure!

Offline Homefire
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Thank you662

Activity
0%
Male
United States

52360.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »
Go Up Go Down

After GD's Statement, I looked again an do in fact see a Circular formation in the top Right corner of the first photo.

Emm.

Don't know but something happened there.

Again with out boots on the ground or better photos I have no clue. Huh?

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234639.html#msg234639

Offline poptop
Silver Member

Wait for the beep!
Thank you45

Activity
0%
Male
United States

3000.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

ADSIII, ACE 250
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 04:14:06 pm »
Go Up Go Down

GD
If you have not told that story, you have my attention! I would love to see it in a new topic...or a link if you have.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234652.html#msg234652

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”  ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline GoldDigger1950
The Old Man and the Soil
Global Moderator
Platin Member

Just call me GD.
The Old Man and the Soil
Thank you225

Activity
0%
Male
United States

47848.00 Gold
View Inventory

Awards

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 12:43:09 pm »
Go Up Go Down

Quote:Posted by poptop
If you have not told that story, you have my attention! I would love to see it in a new topic...or a link if you have.

I have told it here before but the search function is broken so look for it later today. I'll retell the story for those who missed it.

Linkback:

Please Register or Login

http://www.thunting.com/smf/index.php/topic,38040.msg234705.html#msg234705

Let's Talk Treasure!

Print
Pages:  1 2   Go Up
Jump to: